Potential new society in North Yorkshire

Advert

Potential new society in North Yorkshire

Home Forums Model engineering club news Potential new society in North Yorkshire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cliff almond 1
    Participant
      @cliffalmond1

Hi to all. Now this may appear a strange time to be writing a thread about a potential new society; but life will get back to normal during next year!

With this in mind, I'm looking at the opportunity/opening that exists for a new society in North Yorkshire – based in Bedale, to be specific.

As the founding member of the ESSMEE, and having been been both a Chairman of the former and Secretary of another, I know its all possible.

With the nearest society 20 miles away, and the opportunity for both meeting facilities and even somewhere, at least, to set up an up and down 7, 1/4 track (to inc 5&quot, plus storage facilities, im sure we can begin planning something.

If interested in receiving more information, please contact me at cliff.almond@gmail.com

Advert
      cliff almond 1
      Participant
        @cliffalmond1
        Bazyle
        Participant
          @bazyle

Hi Cliff. Always nice to hear about new clubs. Quite a move from Somerset then.
          Worth bearing in mind where the population is – both for members and potential public running revenue. Therefore while close to the A1 the location may not be best sited. Down the line (pun intended) say 50 years which is a typical age for a model club how many peope will have a car and be able to travel to a remote location.

As for timing actually it is a fine time to set one up. Clubs can meet on zoom and produce newsletters and get some planning underway. Both my clubs, Exeter and St Albans do just that and have managed to arrange on site activities when permitted aswell. Both clubs have recruited more members during the year and most of the members are ready to maintain their membership for the coming year.

George Jervis
          Participant
            @georgejervis86082

Hi cliff,

I thick this is a very good idea for the area, I lived near Bedale for many years ( hunton) before moving away I wished their had been a engineering club then which I could of joined and learnt from, most people who live in rural areas like the Dales tend to have cars, so commuting may not be an issue for them, also having cattrick and raf leeming etc near by you may find you get some interest from personnel station there?

So I think go for it and start the club 😁👍👍👍

George

Alan Hopwood
            Participant
              @alanhopwood63369

Whilst not wishing to dampen the idea of a new club, could I suggest that you have a look at what is available in the not too distant area. I'm living in Ripon and am a past chairman of the York society and would be pleased to introduce you to the lads at York. We have an extensive site and major plans for a upgrade of facilities on site.

Please contact me at Ripon Farm Services, Ripon and just ask for the angry Scotsman.

Alan.

Andrew Bartle 1
              Participant
                @andrewbartle1

hi just wondering if the opening of a new club at Bedale ever happend .

Sounds interesting .

cliff almond 1
                Participant
                  @cliffalmond1

New Model Engineering Society for North Yorkshire

Like just about every club and society over the last 18 months has been effected by the social restrictions placed upon us all during the Covid pandemic. So, it may come as a surprise that plans are being developed to establish a new model engineering society in North Yorkshire; with opportunities to have a working association with the Wensleydale Heritage Railway, that operates between Scruton in the Vale of Mowbray to Redmire, in the spectacular Yorkshire Dales.

Plans are currently at an early stage. However; these are already supported by access to land for the development of facilities, the potential of track to begin building a combined 5” and 7 ¼” gauge layout, access to meeting facilities, and the logistical opportunities association with the Wensleydale Railway can bring.

Further potential opportunities for members will include options to become a Member of the Wensleydale Railway Association (Trust) Ltd., and the chance to volunteer at the Wensleydale Heritage Railway. Membership will also offer regular editions of the Wensleydale Railways’ magazine, ‘Relay’; along with discounted travel on normal timetabled trains.

The societies founder, Cliff Almond, is no stranger to establishing new societies: having been the founding member of the very successful East Somerset Society of Model & Experimental Engineers and was their first Chairman. He has also held the honorary posts of Secretary and Committee Member at two other Societies.

The society will be known as the Wensleydale Model Engineering Society (WMES); as welcomes enquiries for member from anyone interested in any facet of model engineering.

Anyone interested in joining the society are invited to email Cliff Almond at:

clifford.almond@gmail.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)