Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

Advert

Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

• This topic has 138 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 4 July 2017 at 23:47 by Raymond Sanderson 2.
Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Raymond Sanderson 2
    Participant
      @raymondsanderson2

Hi Ian.

Yes I had on the PC but had limited time at the time I hope to delve deeper maybe over the weekend. However I did download all the MEW 41 mag's to my tablet last night and it was easy to find. They are all .bin files.

it took 3 hours for 41 magazines I pity those who have them all. I have yet to re-download to my PC. However IF I do locate the folder I am hoping a simple transfer will suffice and give me access that will depend on the app software and how its written.

Its a great thought In I did similar many years ago with a software package.

Advert
      Raymond Sanderson 2
      Participant
        @raymondsanderson2

I found that this link on the front page goes nowhere well ok it does ut not to where it should go.

clipboard05.jpg

JasonB
          @jasonb

No one will have all the mags to download as Pocketmags has only been used for about 4 years so 50 MEW mags at the most.

Last Sunday they were downloading in less than 60secs for me, just depends on your connectioon speed and I don't have a super fast one.

Ian, I have given Raymond a pointer to where the files were stored by the old app.

Edited By JasonB on 10/06/2017 07:38:12

Raymond Sanderson 2
          Participant
            @raymondsanderson2

I have to say thanks to you all especially Neil, Kate, Natasha for helping sort this mess out re-my subscription magazines which have not been mailed or received

The lack of help from one month ago by Pocketmags means if I can avoid it I'll never deal with them again let alone the ditiching off of the software without warning and the need now to spend hours downloading my archives.

Ray

Raymond Sanderson 2
            Participant
              @raymondsanderson2

Damn Jason just before I took out my first subscription surprise

Net has been slow here Jason I have to contact ISP yet again.

Even typing is erratic not mine key strokes slow to put on screen.

Nicholas Farr
              Participant
                @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I don't know all the meanings or all the legal issues of the terms and conditions for Pocket Mags, However, you have to be clear about the term "for life". This doesn't necessarily mean your physical life, it can mean the life of the machine, the program and even support. As an example, I have map downloads for life for my Sat-Nav., but it's not for my life, it only extends to the life of the machine, the support for this particular model and that I have to update it a minimum amount of times annually. If any one of these comes to an end, then the maps for life ends as well. Another "for life" term is used by many supermarkets with bags that they sell. Clearly some of them will not last as long as someone who lives to an old age, my interpretation of this is, they are bags made for the well being for all life on earth, or a "Green" bag if you like. I am not saying that Pocket Mags don't intend you not to be able to access ME or MEW until you die, but you must be clear of their meaning "for life" before you accuse them of a breach of contract.

Regards Nick.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                Participant
                  @raymondsanderson2

Nick you are right the term "For Life" is abused by many manufacturer, retailer, sellers without consideration to clarify the life of what.

Pocketmags has the ability to email me constantly of their specials, the magazine updates but not that they have due to circumstances beyond their control (a microsoft update so claimed) notify anyone that a new app/software download is required??? Thats duty of care or if you like not giving a damn the emails to me when asking for help were not at all professional. No links to the new app,which would for those who need it would have been very helpful.

I.M. OUTAHERE
                  Participant
                    @i-m-outahere

It would be nice if when i visit this website to view my magazine subscriptions the website gave me an option to download a pdf as well as just reading it off the website .

As far as i'm concerned i have paid for it so i should have the option of downloading a pdf then printing it myself and a few other publications i have seen offer this .

I can understand MTM not wanting someone downloading every issue in the archive for free to some extent but i have seen other publications offer these at a highly discounted price .

I have had the pocket mags app on my ipad play all sorts of tricks on me especially after an update , it wo'nt let me restore purchases for a week or two then only half of what i had on there restore .

Not a real problem as i know i can read what i want off thiis website , just more of an annoyance than anything else .

Ian.

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133
                      Posted by John Flack on 05/06/2017 11:37:12:

Reading clause 7 mentioned above……….why would anybody purchase a service that can cease or be withdrawn or modified without notice. Does such a clause pass the legal definition of 'reasonable?'

Returning briefly to this interesting question ^^^

It's stretching the current topic a little, but I thought this worth sharing:

I have ordered a new LG television, and [in eager anticipation of its arrival] have downloaded an App for the iPad **LINK**

LG TV Plus by LG Electronics, Inc.
                      https://appsto.re/gb/Cid_X.i

This comes with an 'End User License Agreement' that I currently assume to be typical of that for any software provided by LG … and which is, I note, governed by Korean Law.

With apologies for the clumsy presentation: The clause of particular relevance to this thread is shown in these two screen-grabs [which overlap].

MichaelG.

img_1142.jpg

img_1143.jpg

Raymond Sanderson 2
                      Participant
                        @raymondsanderson2

angry

This is the reply from Pocketmags sent Natasha from MTM?

"I have had some feedback from Pocketmags regarding the downloading of issues, and they have confirmed to me that unfortunately you would still need to download the issues. As you have been using an offline reader which they have not supported for a year or two now, this is the only way that you would be able to view them."

Nice of them to have notified not just us but the people they are contracted to also.

John Flack
                        Participant
                          @johnflack59079

Michael G….I found that difficult to understand???????…………..

Some may find this amusing. My wife retains every scrap of info on banks, insurance etc. The household insurance requires several volumes of amendments issued. We developed a drainage problem (pitch fibre pipes) Having some experience of insurance t and c we were clearly covered . The insurers denied liability despite quoting the exact clause they insisted that they had never issued them. I refused to send the originals or send copies. I went into 'See you in court" mode or "Come and see for your self" Three legal eagles did exactly that and were shown the clauses that they stated did not exist. They accepted liability and arranged the repairs. No apology, mumble about computer error. I estimate it consumed in total about a week of their business costs.

Frances IoM
                          Participant
                            @francesiom58905

Michael G: such restrictive conditions are nothing new – the Wesleyans from 1780 had a standard covenant for accepting chapels restricting who could preach there – summarised by “the debts are yours – the pulpit’s ours”. Too many companies have adopted this licensing mechanism, which has not had enough legal testing, to attempt to restrict purchaser’s rights and avoid any responsibility – I see some attempts in American courts to restore some power to the buyers but the EU could do a lot more.

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              Posted by Frances IoM on 17/06/2017 12:44:38:
                              Michael G: such restrictive conditions are nothing new –

Thanks, Frances … Yes, I realise that

The reason for quoting from LG's EULA was to demonstrate that they are still widespread.

MichaelG.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                              Participant
                                @raymondsanderson2

Yeh Yeh yeh at last have all my print copies of ME and a missing December one of MEW. No thanks to Pocketmags.

Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)