Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

Advert

Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Pocketmags withdraw Windows 7 and 8.0 Support

• This topic has 138 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 4 July 2017 at 23:47 by Raymond Sanderson 2.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

Raymond can you download to that for offline viewing or is it just an online reader?

Don't know if a link has been removed or not, are you refering to one on here somewhere?

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

IMPORTANT

I have just realised that what appears at the top of the screen on my iPad is an advertisement.

… It may therefore be 'personalised' according to the device that's in use.

[Raymond] … What do you see when you click that link. question

MichaelG.

Raymond Sanderson 2
        Participant
          @raymondsanderson2
          Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 07:13:34:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 00:48:00:

Then the MTM Itunes app promoted on the front page of the website which clearly states its for Mac & PC? **LINK**

This is the same app I use on the Andriod phone & tablet BUT the need to download two readers one for Model Engineer & one for MEW is annoying.

Raymond,

Please have a careful look at the App that you have just linked ^^^

[ It appears to be the one that appears at the top of this site's homepage ]

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/model-engineer/id584847270?mt=8

• that App is exclusively for use on iOS devices
          • it also requires iOS 7.0 or later

MichaelG.

So Michael the fact it is promoted as a Digital APP NON-specific isn't a concern to you but me linking it is?

Via the link on the page at top right corner clearly states Mac + PC now I know that Itunes plays on both didn't know it could do Digital Reader did you and yes I am being sarcastic for a point.

There is NO Digital reader for Windows on that link yet the flashing add leads one to believe there is.

Yes both ME & MEW app same as that is downloadable FREE to my Andriod tablet and Andriod phone. I think I got it through Google Play

**LINK**

**LINK**

Maybe we need to revive this thread re-"Best Apps & Software" including the magazine reader hassles ? Surel if you can't access the Digital archive or your subscribed downloads on you shed PC
          **LINK**
          **LINK**

JasonB
            @jasonb
            Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 07:47:24:

Maybe we need to revive this thread re-"Best Apps & Software" including the magazine reader hassles ? Surel if you can't access the Digital archive or your subscribed downloads on you shed PC
            **LINK**
            **LINK**

Raymond the DIGITAL ARCHIVE is only available online via this site and has nothing to do with pocketmags readers, if you can't access it in your shed then you need a stronger signal from your router

Raymond Sanderson 2
            Participant
              @raymondsanderson2
              Posted by JasonB on 09/06/2017 07:32:45:

Raymond can you download to that for offline viewing or is it just an online reader?

Don't know if a link has been removed or not, are you refering to one on here somewhere?

Jason the app/s I downloaded through Google play are for Andriod (see post links above) and yes you can read off line meaning wifi turned off ONLY AFTER you click to read that saves it to the internal storage.
              Now if you go into settings of the App top left and choose storage location to external it saves it to the microchip. wink

Raymond Sanderson 2
              Participant
                @raymondsanderson2
                Posted by JasonB on 09/06/2017 07:56:44:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 07:47:24:

**LINK**
                **LINK**

Raymond the DIGITAL ARCHIVE is only available online via this site and has nothing to do with pocketmags readers, if you can't access it in your shed then you need a stronger signal from your router

Jason you are right but it doesn't state that does it ?? It states that "Digital back Issues" "Now available in App"!!!

However when you use the App I am using it does come up with past issues which sadly you have to pay for all listed.

JasonB
                  @jasonb

But what form does it save it in?

You are still mixing up Digital Archive and digital issues.

Edited By JasonB on 09/06/2017 08:05:23

Raymond Sanderson 2
                  Participant
                    @raymondsanderson2

The question then would be who is running that add? Is it this site? OR some other being it links to Itunes?

OR is there a way we can use an APP to view the digital archives we don't know about??

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133
                      I iPosted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 07:47:24:

So Michael the fact it is promoted as a Digital APP NON-specific isn't a concern to you but me linking it is?

Via the link on the page at top right corner clearly states Mac + PC now I know that Itunes plays on both didn't know it could do Digital Reader did you and yes I am being sarcastic for a point.

There is NO Digital reader for Windows on that link yet the flashing add leads one to believe there is.

Raymond,

I was TRYING to help !!

… and I certainly don't need your sarcasm.

… If you would care to follow my example, and post the text of the link that you see; we might start get some sense out of this.

MichaelG.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                      Participant
                        @raymondsanderson2
                        Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 07:34:15:

IMPORTANT

I have just realised that what appears at the top of the screen on my iPad is an advertisement.

… It may therefore be 'personalised' according to the device that's in use.

[Raymond] … What do you see when you click that link. question

MichaelG.

You might be right Michael using the PC atm yet if i use the tablet things often appear different and I use Adblocker etc.

heres a screen shot.

clipboard01.jpg

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Michael is what you clicked on above the green bar at the top of the page? as this is where a banner add is often placed. I see nothing there today.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                          Participant
                            @raymondsanderson2
                            Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 08:09:09:

I iPosted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 07:47:24:

Raymond,

I was TRYING to help !!

… and I certainly don't need your sarcasm.

… If you would care to follow my example, and post the text of the link that you see; we might start get some sense out of this.

MichaelG.

Michael due to delay and having signed out I didn't see your post with the image or the question until the email notification came in. So i signed back in and have now posted a reply.

At the same time I also got a question from Jason to which I replied. Not as fast as i use to be due to RSI from over use of computers.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                            Participant
                              @raymondsanderson2

Jason as yet I haven't delved into hat it saves as.while I was having lunch I downloaded 3 magazines MEW and turned WiFi off it gave me access off line to read and view. I then headed back to the workshop to continue with making my bench.

As soon as I get time I'll delve deeper a bust weekend ahead unless it rains.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                              Participant
                                @raymondsanderson2

Jason the Digital App add is down the right side on my PC screen

clipboard04.jpg

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133

On a side-note

Raymond,

For the sake of my [rapidly dwindling] sanity:

When quoting previous posts, could you please try to separate the text of your replies from the quoted text? … It makes it much easier to 'follow the plot'.

Thanks

MichaelG.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                                  Participant
                                    @raymondsanderson2

Sorry thought I had been Michael.

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                      Posted by JasonB on 09/06/2017 08:16:32:

Michael is what you clicked on above the green bar at the top of the page? as this is where a banner add is often placed. I see nothing there today.

Yes it is above the green bar, Jason

img_1120.jpg

and it takes me to the same place as Raymond's link.

MichaelG.

For today's bit of culture, this seems appropriate:

"What a tangled web we weave; when first we practice to deceive"

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133
                                        Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 09/06/2017 08:23:27:

Jason the Digital App add is down the right side on my PC screen

clipboard04.jpg

dont know

Now we might be getting somewhere !!

Clicking that advertisement also takes me to the Apple iOS App Store.

… it's obviously [for want of a better term] "intelligent".

MichaelG.

JasonB
                                          @jasonb
                                          Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 08:49:21:

MichaelG.

Steady now Michael, this is MTM we are talking about, it also takes me to the apple store from my PCblush

This applies to the link down the side, I don't get that top bar you posted a screen shot of. I was thinking of the space that can be seen between that add and the green bar where the Myhobbystore adds etc used to be placed. Your top add is obviously a ipad thing.

J

PS off to work now

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by JasonB on 09/06/2017 08:54:40:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 08:49:21:

MichaelG.

Steady now Michael, this is MTM we are talking about, it also takes me to the apple store from my PCblush

laugh

I don't want to labour this, but … It's worth noting that Apple has two different stores:

1. for Macs running OSX
                                            2. for iOS devices

If you are being directed to [1] and I am being directed to [2] then is some "intelligence" involved.

[ interpret that nicely ambiguous word whichever way you wish ]

devil

MichaelG.

I.M. OUTAHERE
                                            Participant
                                              @i-m-outahere

lHi Raymond,

Just out of curiousity have you had a look around on your hard drive to see where the downloaded magazine files are located ?

If you can find the files and try to open them windows will either do so or say it is unable to do so , sometimes it will offer to check online to find a programme that will open them .

it could be a simple thing like the newer version of the app has had its link or association with the old files broken so it doesn't know they are on your hard drive , if you can find the files maybe a rigth click and look for open with … And give that a try .

Provided you stay out of the registry files and don't delete or format anything there is little harm you can do .

Just a thought .

Ian

Neil Wyatt
                                                @neilwyatt

This is very hard to follow, but to be clear:

'Digital back issues' are past issues available for individual purchase through Pocketmags.

The 'Online Archive' is the archive of all past issues of MEW available to people with a current digital or print+digital subscription taken out through this website (i.e. not one purchased from a third party such as iTunes).

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                                                Participant
                                                  @michaelgilligan61133

Just to further confuse this discussion, I offer another fact:

Using the Mac … I have just clicked the [right-hand sidebar] link, as per Raymond's recent posts.

This opens an iTunes Preview page … which clearly identifies the App as being for iOS

mtm_app.jpg

MichaelG.

Edit: for convenient reference, here's the link from that sidebar advert

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/model-engineer/id584847270?mt=8

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 09/06/2017 12:09:42

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

That's the same as I get when I click it with my Windows PC

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      Posted by JasonB on 09/06/2017 12:25:04:

That's the same as I get when I click it with my Windows PC

That makes sense, Jason yes

As you probably know … iTunes is available on both platforms, and inter alia, acts as a host for iOS devices on either.

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 139 total)