Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Advert

Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Home Forums Website Announcements Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt

Jason had to close down a thread a few minutes ago. I fully support this action, I'm sure most of us can guess where the discussion had gone.

The Forum is a place for people who share an interest in model and hobby engineering, and at the moment it has an important role as a place where we all can get away from some of the acrimony and back-biting that is poisoning some parts of the internet.

Please, whatever your personal feelings are, one way or the other, on the many highly charged issues around at the moment, put them aside when participating in this forum.

Factual discussion of issues is allowed in the tearoom, but it must not spill over into partisan discussion or attacks on public figures.

At such a fractious time nothing is more important than the things that bring us together, rather than those that divide us.

Thank you.

Neil

Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

This is not censorship, it’s respect and good manners.

Ady1
        Participant
          @ady1

Not much fun trying to control a bunch of old duffers, especially overopinionated ones

apologies, will strive to improve

Brian H
          Participant
            @brianh50089

Thanks Neil & Jason, absolutely the correct action.

Brian

Cornish Jack
            Participant
              @cornishjack

Neil – of course, you and the Mods are right – standard conversational embargo on Sex, Religion and Politics! Unfortunately, the forum median age would possibly rule out two of those, anyway!blushwink

rgds

Bill

Ron Colvin
              Participant
                @roncolvin83430
                Posted by Cornish Jack on 02/10/2020 10:57:46:

Neil – of course, you and the Mods are right – standard conversational embargo on Sex, Religion and Politics! Unfortunately, the forum median age would possibly rule out two of those, anyway!blushwink

rgds

Bill

One of those to rule out would seem to be obvious, I can not though identify what the second one would be.

not done it yet
                Participant
                  @notdoneityet

Which thread has been closed? I always like to see how/why they ended.

Plasma
                  Participant
                    @plasma

it closed because I mentioned donald trump.

Another member posted in agreement.

Im leaving this forum as I feel the moderator was insulting in the way he replied.

No wonder the hobby is dying with such nanny attitudes.

GOODBYE

Neil Wyatt
                      @neilwyatt

It's unfortunate to lose forum members, but if people are not happy with how we deal with such issues, I respect their decision.

Neil

Kevin Murrell
                      Participant
                        @kevinmurrell62078

Well done Moderators!

I get all the politics and nonsense I need elsewhere. Reading posts here is the same for me as going into the workshop – just me, a few like minded people and all that concerns us is reshaping lumps of metals!

Let's keep this just about our hobby.

K.

Pete White
                        Participant
                          @petewhite15172

Top marks to all, we only have to do is follow the rules, everywhere would be a better place if people could do that.

Full support, thankyou.

Pete

Brian H
                          Participant
                            @brianh50089
                            Posted by Plasma on 02/10/2020 11:55:59:

Im leaving this forum as I feel the moderator was insulting in the way he replied.

GOODBYE

I didn't know that Donald had anything to do with model engineering.

Brian

Grindstone Cowboy
                            Participant
                              @grindstonecowboy

I believe we've just experienced a flounce

JA
                              Participant
                                @ja
                                Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 02/10/2020 12:57:34:

I like these new words. Doctor Johnson, son of Litchfield, would have had fun with it.

JA

Mick B1
                                Participant
                                  @mickb1

GOODBYE

I might've been the other member? Dunno.

I can see why the mods closed the thread, but obviously I'll never know now if I missed the clincher… devil

Still, there are plenty of other matters worthwhile to read and post about, so no reason I can see to run away.

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133

To quote the [now] penultimate post on the recently closed thread:

“Disappearing posts again! Nothing like living in a democracy.”

This is true … It is nothing like living in a democracy.

It’s a web forum, with rules dictated by the hosts.

Like it or lump it. … No problem with that yes

MichaelG.

ega
                                    Participant
                                      @ega
                                      Posted by JA on 02/10/2020 13:20:35:

Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 02/10/2020 12:57:34:

I like these new words. Doctor Johnson, son of Litchfield, would have had fun with it.

JA

He did:

1751 S. Johnson Rambler No. 182. ⁋12 He sometimes presumed to mention Marriage; but was always answered with a Hoot, and a Flounce.

As it happens, there are plenty of joking references here to wives which pass without comment.

Edited By ega on 02/10/2020 13:59:09

Edited By ega on 02/10/2020 13:59:47

Ian Johnson 1
                                      Participant
                                        @ianjohnson1

How to start a fight in a pub? Just start a conversation about religion or politics!

I'm glad the moderators are looking out for this political nonsense

IanJ

Oldiron
                                        Participant
                                          @oldiron

I agree with the Mods. There is more than enough politics, religion, rubbish, untruth & petty bickering on the TV and in the papers without bringing it here. As said earlier I along with most other members prefer sticking to the forum subject matter.

regards

john halfpenny
                                          Participant
                                            @johnhalfpenny52803

Dr Johnson of Lichfield.

Swarf, Mostly!
                                            Participant
                                              @swarfmostly
                                              Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 02/10/2020 13:57:12:

How to start a fight in a pub? Just start a conversation about religion or politics!

IanJ

Hi there, Ian,

Maybe you should have included football?!?! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Enough!
                                              Participant
                                                @enough
                                                Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2020 13:37:02:

It’s a web forum, with rules dictated by the hosts.

…. and their advertisers.

Ian Johnson 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @ianjohnson1
                                                  Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 02/10/2020 15:48:17:

Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 02/10/2020 13:57:12:

IanJ

Hi there, Ian,

Maybe you should have included football?!?! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Football! Nah! It's a gentleman's game, with two opposing sides having a friendly kick about on grass with a sheeps bladder. Any disagreements are rapidly sorted out with a quick slap here or there and a swift kicking if the other side doesn't come round to their way of thinking…….. and… er…. oh yes maybe you're right! laugh

Martin Kyte
                                                  Participant
                                                    @martinkyte99762

GOODBYE

Um. What has Donald Trump got to do with model engineering?

Maybe if we stuck to the main reason for the existence of the forum there may not be so many issues.

regards Martin

Bodger Brian
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bodgerbrian
                                                      Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 02/10/2020 16:14:38

Football! Nah! It's a gentleman's game, with two opposing sides having a friendly kick about on grass with a sheeps bladder. Any disagreements are rapidly sorted out with a quick slap here or there and a swift kicking if the other side doesn't come round to their way of thinking…….. and… er…. oh yes maybe you're right! laugh

I once heard football described as a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, as opposed to rugby, which is a hooligan’s game played by gentlemen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)