PHEV’s

Advert

PHEV’s

Home Forums The Tea Room PHEV’s

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

I must admit I’ve never thought it was a good idea to own a car that’s even more complex than a conventional petrol car. There’s just more to go wrong. Seeing this though really puts it into perspective. I didn’t realise they were that much more expensive – £11,000. Add in higher servicing costs and I’m not sure of the point? I have my own drive so I could take advantage of low mileage costs but I read some time ago that the majority of PHEV drivers don’t charge them very often if at all? Another point I read (mentioned in this article) is that most of them don’t achieve anywhere near the claimed mpg figures. I think I’ll keep my petrol car for now!

IMG_1840

Advert
      Bo’sun
      Participant
        @bosun58570

Vic,

Keep your petrol car, you know it makes sense.

JA
        Participant
          @ja

Vic

I am not surprised but it would be nice to know where the article came from.

JA

Mark Rand
          Participant
            @markrand96270

My current 9 year old Dacia Sandero Diesel has more than recovered it’s initial cost against the petrol version. Much more so since it qualifies for £0 pa road tax.

i would like my next vehicle to be a diesel PHEV, but the only ones available are double the price I’m interested in. A ‘mild’ hybrid wouldn’t get better economy and emissions that my current wheels so I’ll wait a bit more. For our normal weekly milage, I could charge a PHEV from my solar panels at an equivalent of £0.14/kWh, equivalent to about £0.05 per mile.

not done it yet
            Participant
              @notdoneityet

A full BEV is, IMO, the next step (for most) after trying a hybrid.  Many fewer moving parts to go wrong, easily ‘fuelled-up” at night while you slumber, so could be fully charged most mornings.  Options to collect your own electrons with solar panels, or just take advantage of the cheapest electricity tariffs (as little as 7.5p/kWh).

Many hybrids were company purchases for tax reasons, so a lot were never plugged in regularly, if at all.

I am currently getting nearly 4 miles for each of those kWh. Mine cost me 8.5p and if fully charged the car can carry me over 250 miles (it’s not one of the most energy efficient models on the market).

Second hand EVs are now much closer to parity with vehicles with an ICE.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)