Percival Marshall Model Engineer series books Nos 1 to 38

Advert

Percival Marshall Model Engineer series books Nos 1 to 38

Home Forums Books Percival Marshall Model Engineer series books Nos 1 to 38

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tony Burns
    Participant
      @tonyburns91506
      Advert
      Tony Burns
      Participant
        @tonyburns91506

Is there an archive of these anywhere .What age are they. I recently obtained No 27 (Screw Threads) and No49 ( Srewcutting)and they go right back in time. The Screw threads even suggests the Bicycle threads or pedals and different gauge spokes etc. Has anybody got a copy of No 23 Model Steam Turbines

Regards Tony

V8Eng
        Participant
          @v8eng

Not sure if these are exactly the same, but look at this link to TEE publishing.

**LINK**

Ian S C
          Participant
            @iansc

I,v got 3 of Percival Marshall's little books,"Small Electric motor Construction" by J. Gordon Hall, "Practical Armature Winding" by A. H. Avery, dated 1948/1950, "Pattern Making" by T. Spedding. I also have some similar books (The Amature Mechanic & Work handbooks), these appear to be a bit older, dating back to 1920. there is "Small Dynamos, And How To Make Them", "Electro- Plating", Metal Turning Made Easy", "The Simple Lathe and its Accessories", "Small Lathes, Making and Using".

A bit of a hobby of mine, collecting old engineering books. Ian S C

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Tony Burns on 10/01/2013 10:14:07:

Has anybody got a copy of No 23 Model Steam Turbines

Regards Tony

Tony,

If you are happy with an electronic version, look here.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

This seems a suitable place to put this link

… Percival Marshall speaking

… Good advice to us all

MichaelG.

V8Eng
                Participant
                  @v8eng

Just been ordering something unrelated on Amazon.co.uk

Out of idle curiosity I typed Percival Marshall into their search box, and found about 20 pages of items listed, do not know if they are all relevant to this thread though.

Edited By V8Eng on 11/01/2013 15:55:41

Trevor Drabble 1
                  Participant
                    @trevordrabble1

Tony,

I am presently in the process of catalogueing my library of old and technical books with a view to disposing of most of them and have an original copy of this book available. Have looked at the link as suggessted by V8Eng, and it would seem these are reprints of the original that I have.

Trevor.

Maureena Cravens
                    Participant
                      @maureenacravens31291

Recently a copy of Model Steam Turbines, How to Design and Build Them, 3rd edition, by H.H. Harrison, Model Engineer Series No 23, (Price 9D. net) was donated to the Friends of Vancouver Comm Library. It was published by Percival Marshall & Co in 1904 (?). There is a picture of a piece of machinery on the front cover that I have not been able to find or identify. It has a label from Pender Stationary & Book Store, Vancouver, B.C. on the back cover. It is a small, stapled softcover with tanned pgs (due to age) & slightly worn covers – no other major faults. I hope to list it on Amazon when I am able to verify the publication date. I would appreciate any information. Thanks. Maureena

Sub Mandrel
                      Participant
                        @submandrel

Maureena,

The cover photo of the Reverend Bredin Naylor's Model Steam Turbine is repeated on page 55.

Neil

Maureena Cravens
                        Participant
                          @maureenacravens31291

Neil,

Thanks for encouraging me to look thru the book. In the edition we have, the Reverend Bredin Naylor's Model Steam Turbine is repeated on page 41, figure 43. Thanks again, Maureena

Trevor Drabble 1
                          Participant
                            @trevordrabble1

Tony,

If you are still interested, I have 2 original copies of this book , each with a slighly different cover.

Trevor.

Max Tolerance
                            Participant
                              @maxtolerance69251

Tony, Many of these books were first published during the early years of the "Model Engineer and electrician" magazine that is to say from 1898 to 1910. They were intended to give instruction to early amateur experimentalists and hobbyist's. Many of the titles cover electrical subjects which were very popular at that time. Lists of available titles were regularly published in the magazine for many years at prices which we would find quaint, sixpence (two and a half pence) being typical !!! Percival Marshall the editor at the time commisioned many of the books himself from experts of the day and even offered prizes of a Guinea (twenty one shillings or one pound five pence) for suggestions for new titles during 1904 and maybe later. The books continued to be published for many years even though some had become outdated. Many of them contained material which had been previously published in "Model Engineer and electrician" and they are a facinating glimse into times gone. Subjects like high voltage machines and "make your own 200 volt D.C. generating plant" would be frowned upon now and things like DIY X-ray machines and experiments with radium would have our modern H&S inspectors in a dead faint !!!!!

Sub Mandrel
                              Participant
                                @submandrel

> experiments with radium would have our modern H&S inspectors in a dead faint !!!!!

Google the "radioactive boy scout"!

Neil

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)