Otto Langen engine ideas

Advert

Otto Langen engine ideas

Home Forums General Questions Otto Langen engine ideas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David K
    Participant
      @davidk77137

Found these plans online [there are two more pages] and fancy having ago at building .

Would like to ask if anybody has done this or have any thoughts about it before i start.

Or if anybody knows of other similar plans / kits available.

Thank you

otto2

Advert
      Graham Meek
      Participant
        @grahammeek88282

I seem to recall an article on this engine in Model Engineer many years ago. Maybe someone with an index can shed light on the year, Volume etc.

Regards

Gray,

JasonB
          @jasonb

bear in mind that none of Julius’ drawings have been made by him so there are often errors and he is quite inventive when it comes to scaling gears on his usually larger than original versions of other peoples plans.

The main problem with the OL is it really needs the old town or illuminating gas to work, some have got them going with acetylene others with a mostly hydrogen/propane mix.

You would probably be better off starting with the 1/7th scale lenaz drawings, there were also partial drawings in Me starting August 1999

I did redrawn the Lenaz ones to 1/4 scale but then found Wayne Grenning’s 1:1 replica build realised how much detail was missing but only got part way through adding it. That and the fuel problem means I havve a big cast iron doorstop.

Have a look on MEM forum there is one guy Craig who has built about 4 versions of various early prototypes.

Mine here

David K
          Participant
            @davidk77137

Thank you  , I will spend some more time researching before i hopefully start. I did read about the gas mixture

but have seen one running on Youtube.

Its been a while since i made anything due to health issues so i could do with getting my enthusiasm back and this appeals to me.

JasonB
              @jasonb

If it is the same one with the MAPP gas bottle then that has changed and is not so good now, I could not get my RMC flame ignition engine to run as it was designed for MAPP gas, so converted to 4-stroke in the end which runs well an a vapour carb/tank and petrol.

I did have a look at the gears on that drawing after I posted, not one is the same size so how they are expected to mesh is anyones guess. At 1/4 scale it was fairly straightforward with mine to keep the original tooth count and use 1.5MOD as they are 1/4 of the original 6MOD size.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)