Old Super Seven – worn clutch

Advert

Old Super Seven – worn clutch

Home Forums Manual machine tools Old Super Seven – worn clutch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    IanT
    Participant
      @iant
      My old Super 7 (the type with the oil window in the headstock) had had a hard life before she came to me. None the less with a little care and attention it’s been a very useful tool and I’m not too bothered about the inhertited dents etc.

However,  I’ve now adjusted the clutch a couple of times but it’s starting to slip again. I don’t want to overtighten the adjusting grub screw as this is the clutch model that Myford no longer have spares for. There is an expanding cylinder inside the countershaft/clutch drum and I suspect that the two friction surfaces are getting a bit worn by now.

I wonder if anyone has sucessfully stuck (epoxied) a shim (brass or tinplate) to the expanding cylinder to take up the wear – as these are normally non-bearing surfaces. This would mean less need to tighten the adjustment screw. Any other ideas would also be welcome however. For instance is there anything in old ME’s about this?
      Advert
      IanT
      Participant
        @iant

How to take up wear in the older ‘expanding’ type clutch

DMR
        Participant
          @dmr
          Ian,
          I have SK1711 as original with roller bearings.
          I fitted a backup grub screw behind the main one (BSF) to lock the position as I descided it was probably working its way out. No more troubles.

Originally (3 years ago) I had slip as I had set it up. descided I was probablly being too soft and it was wearing out the clutch because of slip. the tighter you make it, the more you think the two bits holding the roller bearing in the handle are going to give up, but it all seems OK. Myford still have those bits as they fit the clutched ML7, but not the bearing which can be had from elsewhere anyway.

Good luck anyway,
          Dennis
          IanT
          Participant
            @iant
            Thanks for the feedback Dennis – I may try that and see if it solves the problem.

Regards,  Ian
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)