Office Laminator – Benefits in the Workshop

Advert

Office Laminator – Benefits in the Workshop

Home Forums Hints And Tips for model engineers Office Laminator – Benefits in the Workshop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve Withnell
    Participant
      @stevewithnell34426
      Advert
      Steve Withnell
      Participant
        @stevewithnell34426
        A couple of years ago I bought a cheap laminator from WH Smiths, at the time they were just under £20.

I thought I'd share how I'm using it in the the workshop:

I started off setting up conversion tables in Excel – bottom left is imperial fraction to metric, using only the range I need for the work at hand, then printing it as big as it will go onto an A4 sheet, laminated it and now I've got a really handy chart that sits on the bench as work progresses. (I've also Imperial fraction to Imperial decimal etc). The point is it's only the range I need in the increments I need in a very easy to read format because I've used the biggest possible font, consistent with getting on a single age.

A while back I designed some bevel gears for an engine I built, so repeated the trick – Printed off the data as big as possible onto A4, laminated it (top left)

When ME kindly provided the PDF's for the Whittle engine and I decided to have a crack at it , I cut and pasted the crank drawings from the PDF into Word, then stretched the image until it just fit the page, banged it into the laminator and now I've a copy that's very readable, and has survived coolant spills, tools left on in etc. See bottom left.

At top right is a Stuart Models plan. My last one was in a very poor state by the time the engine was complete, so this time I took the the scissors to it and cut it into four seperate pieces and laminated them double sided using a plain A4 sheet of paper as a background.

I find it beneficial not having to have an A1 / A2 drawing on the bench when in the case of the Whittle engine, there was many hours expended on just one component. So the handy size is good.

The other obvious benefit is that the laminated version will stand a lot of mistreatment, but if you want to draw on them, well you can use either permanent or non-permanent markers over the top if you want.

Hope this is of interest!

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 12:07:08

_Paul_
        Participant
          @_paul_
          Bought an Aldi one some time ago, so in my workshop I have Tap/Drill charts, Size comparison charts etc. blu tacked in strategic positions nothing more that Excel spreadsheets printed (big type ) and laminated but oh so handy and as you point out Steve very hardy.

A good tip if you write on one with a permanent marker and subsequently want to remove your scribblings go over it with a dry wipe pen then quickly wipe the wet marker ink off, same technique seems to work on most plastics.

Regards

Paul

Bogstandard
          Participant
            @bogstandard
            I have complete tapping charts for each type of thread plus conversion charts when working between metric/imp and the other way around, that saves having to go thru the small type in my Zeus book. So only what is required is on my drawings slide.

BTW, a bit of meths usually removes permanent marker, plus if it starts to run low, a spot in the marker pen can get you going for a bit longer.

The laminator is also good for making the odd sign, like the one on my trailer for my disability buggy

John

Edited By Bogstandard on 21/08/2011 21:01:16

Stovepipe
            Participant
              @stovepipe
              Also, those display folders are useful for keeping the manuals in that come with all the tools we buy. I can now lay my hands on the manuals for any tool in the workshop.

(Yes, I know I’ll be drummed out of the forum for “reading the instructions first”, but that’s a risk I’ll have to live with ! (grin!))

Dennis

John Coates
              Participant
                @johncoates48577
                I bought a hot and cold A4 one last week from Poundstretcher who now have them down to £10

It was reduced from £25 to £20 on the item ticket but was advertised at half price in a flyer in the local weekly free paper. It was still marked at £20 on the shelf but it scanned as £10 at the till

Don’t know what it performs like as I’m waiting to get some laminating pouches

John
                John Coates
                Participant
                  @johncoates48577
                  Forgot to add

The reason for getting one is exactly the same as Steve

I produced tables in Excel for the screw cutting change gears for my lathe, the RPM at different Hz for the 3 phase motors attached to inverters on the lathe and the mill, and the RPM for cutters of various sizes on the mill

Once laminated they are available immediately and don’t soak up oil, sweat or cutting fluid like paper only ones seem to do

John
                  AndyB
                  Participant
                    @andyb47186
                    Hi all,

I have the changewheel chart, thread sizes with tapping drill sizes, and imperial fraction and decimal sizes with metric equivalents to 4 decimal places in front of the main workhorse.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, it wasn’t actually of the charts.

Andy

Nicholas Farr
                    Participant
                      @nicholasfarr14254
                      Hi, laminators are also useful for making home made information plates and the like, for your machines etc., like the one in the photo below.

This one was made with a credit card size pouch, and fixed with double sided tape.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 22/08/2011 21:04:46

Sub Mandrel
                      Participant
                        @submandrel
                        Could be a way of making panels for electrical equipment. I’ve uses a printed sheet behind perspex, but thi is limited for projects (like the latest) which don’t have a flat panel.

Neil
                        _Paul_
                        Participant
                          @_paul_
                          You can with a little ingenuity make your own self adhesive plastic labels and/or covers for books:

Print your desired graphics on gummed paper (or plain if book binding) put two sheets inside the laminating pouch face out, once laminated cut off the edges and voila plastic coated stickers/book covers.

Regards

Paul

michael howarth 1
                          Participant
                            @michaelhowarth1

Decent laminating pouches in The Works at £1.99 for 20.

NJH
                            Participant
                              @njh
                              For full size drawings I use Artcare Sleeves – these are available in sizes from A4 up to A1. I put the sheets back to back and hang them from bulldog clips screwed to the workshop wall. On long term projects ( or very long term like my “Stent” for example) I got a copy of the drawings made then cut them up into A4 sizes to show each individual component, fitted them into cheapo A4 clear punched pockets, and filed them in a ringbinder. It’s then easy to take out the drawing for the bit being worked on and hang it on the lathe, mill, marking plate etc. for easy reference during machining.
                              Data sheets for tapping data and any permanent, often consulted, reference etc are fixed to the wall and covered by a large sheet of clear acrylic.

The lamination is a good idea though so maybe I should divert some beer funds that way!

Regards

Norman
                              Anthony Knights
                              Participant
                                @anthonyknights16741
                                I have made a whole series of laminated sheets with thread data, inch to metric conversion, drill sizes etc. These are kept in a frame at the end of the bench where the required sheet can be displayed.

Springbok
                                Participant
                                  @springbok
                                  I had been thinking of one of these for some time could also use it after all workshop stuff is done for my various clubs.

Bob
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)