No Archive Access

Advert

No Archive Access

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt

Ray,

As you got the 'bad referrer' message that means it is almost certainly do to how your flash player extension is set up in Firefox.

You can use a player other than Flash, but whatever it is you need a flash player installed in Firefox add ons and it needs to be enabled for the archive site.

The situation you describe (not using Adobe Flash, suddenly lose access to archive) possibly means that one of the (several) recent updates to Firefox has change the settings or broken your non-standard Flash player.

Raymond Berry found that despite him thinking Firefox had a flash player, it did not have one enabled, and he was able to view the archive in Chrome.

Please can you try Chrome and report back? If you can view it in Chrome it is clearly a Firefox settings/plugins issue, not one at our end.

Ah.. I see Jason has made the same request.

Neil

Advert
      Raymond Sanderson 2
      Participant
        @raymondsanderson2
        Posted by JasonB on 12/07/2018 12:38:31:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 12/07/2018 12:33:29:

I do not see any resolve for the other Raymond in the other thread as he didn't come back and say he had success in getting through???

"Someone suggested I use another browser. I have Chrome and so I tried that. Success"

Raymond, You have been asked to try another browser which will help us eleminate some of the likely problems, you have not done this yet. So help us to help you by trying another browser.

Edited By JasonB on 12/07/2018 12:40:23

Edited By JasonB on 12/07/2018 12:40:50

Jason please go back through my posts and read them. i have already stated I tried Microsofts Edge it responded with "I needed to download the latest Adobe Flash Player"!!
        I did that and still it didn't work. However this morning on re-downloading it in Edge it has worked and I gained access to the mags.

I have now downloaded Flash Player 3 times turned everything to ON in Firefox and still it doesn't work.

My problem is within and between the server mys machine & Firefox and obviously now Flash Player and Firefox.

I will not use one a perm basis Microsoft browsers OR Chrome security is lacking greatly in both.

Neil as stated above

adding to this I have now tried 3 machines the PC, The Tablet, Laptop using Chrome it came back with "I needed to download the latest Flash Player"

crying 2 As I had stated earlier I had not had Flash player installed for some 2+ years on my PC and had no trouble viewing the forums digital archive. Go figure that one.

Frances IoM
        Participant
          @francesiom58905

Flash as I said is a known overly complex + often attacked bit of cr@pware that is known to be a common vector for malware – it is on its last legs – adobe keep patching it to avoid the latest problem hence the common requirement to keep updating

Raymond Sanderson 2
          Participant
            @raymondsanderson2

I've delved deeper opening up the Page Info in Firefox to find in the background It has been blocked "Not my doing"

This is the link to the page when I click on the front cover that i am taken to.

This if the screen capture of the Page Info in Firefox mewforum.jpg

I have altered 2 check boxes allowing "Add On Installs" & "Run Adobe Flash" I am doing re-start to see if this fixes the problem. There is no choice to do this within Firefoxes Add Ons.

mewforum2.jpg

Raymond Sanderson 2
            Participant
              @raymondsanderson2
              Posted by Frances IoM on 13/07/2018 00:19:46:
              Flash as I said is a known overly complex + often attacked bit of cr@pware that is known to be a common vector for malware – it is on its last legs – adobe keep patching it to avoid the latest problem hence the common requirement to keep updating

Frances thanks I've known of the demise of Flash for years and I am surprised companies have not headed the warnings of it security breaches and sort better quality software/add on's etc.

It is also the reason I removed it and had no problem viewing the files I am trying to get to now even with the latest installed Player and still no luck.

Raymond Sanderson 2
              Participant
                @raymondsanderson2

Further to my screen capture post above the changes did nothing and still I go the error message as stated previously.

Oh well thats life I guess.

In weeks to come it might come good again

Enough!
                Participant
                  @enough
                  Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 00:56:56:

I've known of the demise of Flash for years …..

It is also the reason I removed it and had no problem viewing the files I am trying to get to now even with the latest installed Player and still no luck.

In that case, Raymond I think I must have misunderstood this whole thing. It was my impression that you were trying to view the online ME/MEW magazine archive that you get with a digital subscription.

As far as I'm aware you NEED Flash player to view those magazines. If you were able to view something without Flash player, I think I must have been wrong about what you are actually trying to look at.

JasonB
                    @jasonb
                    Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 00:05:33:

Jason please go back through my posts and read them. i have already stated I tried Microsofts Edge it responded with "I needed to download the latest Adobe Flash Player"!!
                    I did that and still it didn't work. However this morning on re-downloading it in Edge it has worked and I gained access to the mags.

You actually said it asked for the latest flash when you tried edge, then went BACK to Firefox and loaded Flash. No mention that you then went back to edge after loading the latest flash. But now that latest flash is on the machine and you tried Edge again today you get access.

"I just opened Microsofts Edge signed in went to Mag archives clicked on mags and got a message I required to load up Adobe Flash. So came back to Firefox my prefered browser you know the one I am having the response from ( I should say no response from). I installed the latest Adobe Flash and low and behold still the same error message even after closing down and restarting Firefox just to make sure it was fully installed and yes I click the check box to ON in Flash. "

J

Raymond Sanderson 2
                    Participant
                      @raymondsanderson2
                      Posted by Bandersnatch on 13/07/2018 01:57:39:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 00:56:56:

I've known of the demise of Flash for years …..

In that case, Raymond I think I must have misunderstood this whole thing. It was my impression that you were trying to view the online ME/MEW magazine archive that you get with a digital subscription.

As far as I'm aware you NEED Flash player to view those magazines. If you were able to view something without Flash player, I think I must have been wrong about what you are actually trying to look at.

If you mean the forum digital archive of bot ME & MEW accessible only via the forum yes thats the one. Yes and we pay via the Digital subscription to access that only with the digital subscription the main reason for taking that form of subscription as well as printed. You do not get access to he forums archive digital section under Print Only.

Yes thats right no Flash Player and I was gaining access to the forum only archives of both magazines no hassles.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                      Participant
                        @raymondsanderson2
                        Posted by JasonB on 13/07/2018 07:14:36:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 00:05:33:

You actually said it asked for the latest flash when you tried edge, then went BACK to Firefox and loaded Flash. No mention that you then went back to edge after loading the latest flash. But now that latest flash is on the machine and you tried Edge again today you get access.

"I just opened Microsofts Edge signed in went to Mag archives clicked on mags and got a message I required to load up Adobe Flash. So came back to Firefox my prefered browser you know the one I am having the response from ( I should say no response from). I installed the latest Adobe Flash and low and behold still the same error message even after closing down and restarting Firefox just to make sure it was fully installed and yes I click the check box to ON in Flash. "

J

Thats right Jason but I have not loaded up Flash Player for two years across the whole spectrum. Flash Player is well known to be troublesome full of holes.
                        I am surprised such as Mytime media and Pocket mags are even still using it. I've known of Flashes problems for over 10 years. Maybe its just cheap and easy to use so those in the background take the easy road without considering the out comes or caring. Bit like Microsoft and its life time of Blue screens over the years.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                        Participant
                          @raymondsanderson2

So the server has been updated to latest Flash Player? It then asks us to update but somehow Firefox isn't allowing that to come through I wonder if that means Firefox knows something others don't and halts it in its tracks?

Oh well There goes another Digital subscriber only Printed for me from now on its not worth the hassle or the additional $$$.

Frances IoM
                          Participant
                            @francesiom58905

Because of the oft requested injunction to update flash to continue to gain access and the automatic behaviour of many users to comply there have been examples of malware infested sites that issue an update request and for added convenience give a URL – however this carefully crafted URL (sometimes hidden by a link shortner) is to a malware downloader.

Farmboy
                            Participant
                              @farmboy

From my own experience on other sites, and from many of the earlier posts here, including Raymond's, I would say the problem is with Firefox, which I still use for most of my online activities.

Unfortunately, too many sites have security 'issues' which cause Firefox to block them. If you want to use those sites you either use another browser or go into Firefox's settings and enable/disable certain features . . . after reading the dire warning, "Here be Dragons", etc . . . assuming you have sufficient understanding of the system.

A different browser is the easiest option if you don't understand all the settings, and a decent antivirus program should protect you against most threats.

SillyOldDuffer
                                @sillyoldduffer
                                Posted by Frances IoM on 13/07/2018 08:37:21:
                                Because of the oft requested injunction to update flash to continue to gain access and the automatic behaviour of many users to comply there have been examples of malware infested sites that issue an update request and for added convenience give a URL – however this carefully crafted URL (sometimes hidden by a link shortner) is to a malware downloader.

Good point – 'Bad referer' might well be caused by malware messing with Raymond's referrer URL. Most websites don't care who the referrer is; they are more likely to be checked by a paid service. To the user failure to access a paid service when everything else seems OK creates the illusion that the paid service is malfunctioning. Actually the error message is a symptom of malware, corrupted cache, or some other under the bonnet fault, most likely at the user end.

Raymond's conviction that the problem is at the server coupled with a reluctance to patiently eliminate possibilities make him difficult to help. An emotional approach to customer service might work in a shop because many retailers like to get rid of noisy customers with minimum fuss. Unfortunately it's the wrong way to approach a tricky technical problem like this one; what they need is patient persistence, reliable reporting, cooperation and willingness to follow instructions.

Dave

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt

So are you sorted or not?

If it works under edge and not Firefox, I think we can safely assume it's a setting somewhere in Firefox causing the issue.

Neil

SillyOldDuffer
                                    @sillyoldduffer
                                    Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/07/2018 11:33:24:

If it works under edge and not Firefox, I think we can safely assume it's a setting somewhere in Firefox causing the issue.

Neil

Not quite a safe assumption, I think it's more likely the Firefox cache is corrupt than a user setting is misconfigured. (Apologies if you meant 'setting' in the broadest sense, which would include cached system settings.)

Four possibilities:

• the browser itself is responsible (very unlikely);
                                    • a browser configuration setting is wrong (unlikely);
                                    • the browsers cache of remembered working parameters, cookies etc, is corrupt, accidentally or by malware (possible);
                                    • or it's something completely different, like a Router fault, (also possible).

Edge, Chrome and Firefox etc. each have their own cache so using a different Browser also uses a different configuration and memory. Depending on the cause, especially if malware is the root, they may become corrupted too.

One example how a bad cache causes this sort of problem. When a Browser connects to a server it sends a mass of information about the client, like the browser name, operating system, available plugins and versions thereof. The server uses the information to adapt web pages to the user device, which could be a Mac, or a SmartPhone, or a PC. Either the server or the client can bail out when an inconsistency is found, or results are undefined. (In computer-speak an 'undefined result' can be anything between apparently normal operation and a crash – all bets are off.)

Frequently used information is often cached to improve performance. It can be remembered between sessions and reboots. If an upgrade is applied and the cache isn't updated correctly, then the resulting mismatch between client and server is liable to cause peculiar errors. Completely emptying the cache forces the Browser to repopulate it from scratch, with luck fixing the weirdness. In the other thread I provided a link to a site explaining how to clear Firefox's cache. It's worth trying. As is powering off the router for at least 20 minutes, which should force it to refresh as well.

Raymond has hinted he may not have a fast Internet Service with no-download limit. As I know to my cost upgrades that misfire due to network problems cause havoc.

Dave

Enough!
                                    Participant
                                      @enough
                                      Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 07:28:46:

If you mean the forum digital archive of bot ME & MEW accessible only via the forum yes thats the one. Yes and we pay via the Digital subscription to access that only with the digital subscription the main reason for taking that form of subscription as well as printed. You do not get access to he forums archive digital section under Print Only.

Yes thats right no Flash Player and I was gaining access to the forum only archives of both magazines no hassles.

In that case, Raymond I'm totally lost. As far as I was aware, the online viewer for the archives was/is a Flash application and needed a Flash viewer to open them. If you've been looking at them for two years without using Flash, then that must be wrong. So why are you trying (unsuccessfully) to use Flash now?

Raymond Sanderson 2
                                      Participant
                                        @raymondsanderson2

So are you sorted or not?

Neil

Neil NOT in Firefox which is preferred browser. I now agree Firefox MAY be part of the issue but not altogether as all other browsers used insisted the latest Flash Player is used therefore the server is demanding an upgrade refusing to use earlier versions. But as stated I haven't had Flash on my machines for some time and still been able to view the mags in the past.
                                        Can't figure that one out either. BUT I could open Jason's link which is suppose to use Flash? I had not installed Flash at that stage either and I can read all other materials via apps which I am told also uses Flash.

I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and hints etc some of which I had tried prior 1st post and although I am reluctant to use any other browser including Chrome which I have found to be the worst yet for security.

I suppose when the background operating system is born from the waste bin of IBM what can one expect. i wish I had continued using Lunix when it first came out Mandrake was so cool back then.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                                        Participant
                                          @raymondsanderson2
                                          Posted by Bandersnatch on 14/07/2018 01:52:05:

Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 13/07/2018 07:28:46:

In that case, Raymond I'm totally lost. As far as I was aware, the online viewer for the archives was/is a Flash application and needed a Flash viewer to open them. If you've been looking at them for two years without using Flash, then that must be wrong. So why are you trying (unsuccessfully) to use Flash now?

THAT ANSWER IS SIMPLE i WAS FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS OF THE MANY WHO TOLD ME TO INSTALL IT!!!
                                          In seeing the pop up in Edge and in Chrome advising I required to download it. Mind you it was not there the first time I tried I was getting the same error message as Firefox.

Raymond Sanderson 2
                                          Participant
                                            @raymondsanderson2
                                            Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/07/2018 12:29:59:

Neil

Not quite a safe assumption, I think it's more likely the Firefox cache is corrupt than a user setting is misconfigured. (Apologies if you meant 'setting' in the broadest sense, which would include cached system settings.)

Four possibilities:

• the browser itself is responsible (very unlikely);
                                            • a browser configuration setting is wrong (unlikely);
                                            • the browsers cache of remembered working parameters, cookies etc, is corrupt, accidentally or by malware (possible);
                                            • or it's something completely different, like a Router fault, (also possible).

Edge, Chrome and Firefox etc. each have their own cache so using a different Browser also uses a different configuration and memory. Depending on the cause, especially if malware is the root, they may become corrupted too.

One example how a bad cache causes this sort of problem. When a Browser connects to a server it sends a mass of information about the client, like the browser name, operating system, available plugins and versions thereof. The server uses the information to adapt web pages to the user device, which could be a Mac, or a SmartPhone, or a PC. Either the server or the client can bail out when an inconsistency is found, or results are undefined. (In computer-speak an 'undefined result' can be anything between apparently normal operation and a crash – all bets are off.)

Frequently used information is often cached to improve performance. It can be remembered between sessions and reboots. If an upgrade is applied and the cache isn't updated correctly, then the resulting mismatch between client and server is liable to cause peculiar errors. Completely emptying the cache forces the Browser to repopulate it from scratch, with luck fixing the weirdness. In the other thread I provided a link to a site explaining how to clear Firefox's cache. It's worth trying. As is powering off the router for at least 20 minutes, which should force it to refresh as well.

Raymond has hinted he may not have a fast Internet Service with no-download limit. As I know to my cost upgrades that misfire due to network problems cause havoc.

Dave

Dave all cache are set to clear out on shut down and I had done a full clear out not long ago myself. This leads me to consider if the cach has been cleared at my end the serve is not then recognising what it needs to? Or the updates of all and sundry have caused a hick up as so often happens in one week Microsoft, Firefox, Adobe Reader (Not Flash) a couple of other products.

Thanks Dave re browser cache.

One thing I have considered in all this is in our area atm is the instal of whats known here as NBN the latest greatest, fast internet cabeling RRFLMAO. This is to the Node I am furthest house away still using copper not fibre optic and still on ADSL2. Those who do have NBN are complaining about drop outs, speed as slow as snails race and more.

Dave the fact server cache also become corrupt I have found in the past also causes major problem anything from sign in to being able to view uploaded files by individuals. Server updates, server Re-sets, server memory faults, server router faults.
                                            Add to that software updates across the world poorly written software, app's etc etc and I do include Firefox which I have been using since it was originally Netscape.

ISP speed check during these last few days resulted in 13mbps tops download far worse for upload. The new NBN I should get top of 50mbps.

I freaked out when I saw my daughter down in Sydney is getting 1000mbps and she's in a rural area I wish is all i can say. In the whole are top speed here is 100mbps and were are a city with in 40 mins of Brisbane.

Neil Wyatt
                                              @neilwyatt
                                              Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 14/07/2018 03:31:35:

I freaked out when I saw my daughter down in Sydney is getting 1000mbps and she's in a rural area I wish is all i can say. In the whole are top speed here is 100mbps and were are a city with in 40 mins of Brisbane.

OK, no more sympathy from me.

I have to cope with 2.7 MB/S

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                                Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/07/2018 17:20:41:

… In the whole are top speed here is 100mbps …

I have to cope with 2.7 MB/S

SI pedant alert !!

**LINK**

http://www.ebyte.it/library/educards/siunits/TablesOfSiUnitsAndPrefixes.html

angel MichaelG.

JasonB
                                                  @jasonb

Is there also an abbreviation for Mega Pendant? smile p

Michael Gilligan
                                                  Participant
                                                    @michaelgilligan61133
                                                    Posted by JasonB on 14/07/2018 18:55:30:

… Pendant? smile p

dont know secret

Raymond Sanderson 2
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raymondsanderson2
                                                      Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/07/2018 17:20:41:

I have to cope with 2.7 MB/Sclipboard02.jpg

Sorry Neil I didn' t know i was getting sympathy at all LOL

this mornings speed test as being on ADSL2 its far slower than what the new NBN will be.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)