Newbie with a SC2

Advert

Newbie with a SC2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andy198712
    Participant
      @andy198712

Hi,

pretty much new to lathe work barring a bit of a go at college some 20 years ago.

was set on the SC2 bundle from ARC but one popped up on eBay, the Axminster flavour of the SC2 for £275 in the end so couldn’t pass it up!

it’s a tad dirty so just started stripping it down and cleaning using the helpful guide on ARC and will replace anything I find worn once clean but can’t see anything yet.

found it has brass gibs which was nice.

I need to sort out tooling (just got two toolsteel blanks/tools ) maybe swap out the stock tool post.
      and I fancy a live centre.

i made a quick little cut on some thick wall aluminium tube and the finish was a lot better then I espected.

anyways

cheers

Advert
      Harry Wilkes
      Participant
        @harrywilkes58467

Welcome to the forum

H

<script src=”moz-extension://8b5e5601-585e-4ecb-ab53-6d6e57971c12/js/app.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

andy198712
        Participant
          @andy198712

Cheers Harry

Howard Lewis
          Participant
            @howardlewis46836

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a useful lathe there!

If you want a refresher course, buy some books. Stan Bray’s “Basic Lathework” (Rrevised as WPS 45), Harold Hall’s “Lathework, A Complete Course”  (WPS 35)

Dave Fenner, David Clask and Neil Wyatt have all written books specifically for the mini lathe.

If you want any spares (If you haven’t got one, before too long you will find a need for an independent 4 jaw chuck.)

The SC2 was made by Sieg who supply Arc Euro Trade and Machine Mart as well as Axminster. There will be detail differences between parts for other mini lathes imported by others, such as Warco or AMAdeal.

You will find Arc Euro carry spares / accessories, and to be most helpful if detail advice is needed.

FWIW, gain experience with the machine by making simpole tooling that you can use with it. My hobby horse is a Centre Height Gauge, and Tailstock Sliding Die and Tap holders, and a Mandrel Handle.  (PM me for more details, if you want them).

Cuttinmg tools: If you buy a complete set of tipped tools, you are unlikely to use all of them,

Buying HSS toolbits will allow you to learn how to grind tools (Example, I grind a HSS toolbit so that one nd can make front chamfer, and the other end to make back chamfers)

The more that you use the lathe, the more you will be familiar with it, and confident in its use.

Good luck!

Howard

andy198712
            Participant
              @andy198712
              On Howard Lewis Said:

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a useful lathe there!

If you want a refresher course, buy some books. Stan Bray’s “Basic Lathework” (Rrevised as WPS 45), Harold Hall’s “Lathework, A Complete Course”  (WPS 35)

Dave Fenner, David Clask and Neil Wyatt have all written books specifically for the mini lathe.

If you want any spares (If you haven’t got one, before too long you will find a need for an independent 4 jaw chuck.)

The SC2 was made by Sieg who supply Arc Euro Trade and Machine Mart as well as Axminster. There will be detail differences between parts for other mini lathes imported by others, such as Warco or AMAdeal.

You will find Arc Euro carry spares / accessories, and to be most helpful if detail advice is needed.

FWIW, gain experience with the machine by making simpole tooling that you can use with it. My hobby horse is a Centre Height Gauge, and Tailstock Sliding Die and Tap holders, and a Mandrel Handle.  (PM me for more details, if you want them).

Cuttinmg tools: If you buy a complete set of tipped tools, you are unlikely to use all of them,

Buying HSS toolbits will allow you to learn how to grind tools (Example, I grind a HSS toolbit so that one nd can make front chamfer, and the other end to make back chamfers)

The more that you use the lathe, the more you will be familiar with it, and confident in its use.

Good luck!

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thankyou for the reply, most helpful!

I was going to look into any decent books to start with! YouTube has been helpful although a lot of videos also assume you have a mill!

mine came with a 3 and four jaw chucks but they arent independent unfortunately so I think your right! tempted to stay 80mm as its what ARC recommend…..

I’ll send you a PM as that sounds like a good project! a carriage lock is on my list of bits to make but that’s more hand tools and drill press it seems (I have both so will be fine)

it looks like at someone point someone has drilled my carriage and tapped it, added a brass screw that then presses against the way to lock it, which doesn’t seem the best way and I think I’ll repurpose the hole as an oil hole! I get the impression it has caused a couple small marks on the way or they might just be where something has been dropped on on (doesn’t have any raises on it so doesn’t effect use but just an observation, it is a 2012 lathe after all)

currently near the end of the strip and clean, spent all day on it today and a good few hours previous, it had a lot of built up first in nooks and crannies, I followed the ARC guide and treated it like it was a new lathe. helps me to get t know how it all works too which is nice and I can make it all spotless and correctly lubricated.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)