Newbie with a denham junior mk 2

Advert

Newbie with a denham junior mk 2

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Newbie with a denham junior mk 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Hill 1
    Participant
      @chrishill1

Hello. New member here. Ive been browsing for a while picking up some good information. Ive got a denham juniour mk 2 lathe that i recently acquired. I would like some help with the headstock bearings. The chuck has play in it. Does anybody know where i can bet a manual for it or what type of bearings are insidd. Thanks

Advert
      Chris Hill 1
      Participant
        @chrishill1
        Thor 🇳🇴
        Participant
          @thor

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to buy a manual from lathes.co.uk. Denham lathes has been discussed before, see here. May be this can be of help?

Thor

DiogenesII
          Participant
            @diogenesii

Thor types faster than me…

According to Tony Griffith's Lathe and Machine Tool Archive Lathes.co.uk – Denham both ball or roller bearings can be found in the MKIIs..

Adjustment is usually simple in principle, but can differ in correct procedure from lathe to lathe – hopefully someone more intimately familiar with these machines will confirm the detaills.

I see that Tony can supply manuals, you could also try a 'wanted' ad here or search the 'net.

Edited By DiogenesII on 21/05/2023 07:57:50

Chris Hill 1
            Participant
              @chrishill1

Hello. Thanks for the replies. I will have a look at lathes .co.uk and will have a look through the forum. I think it is going to be a learni g curve. Thanks for the help

Roger Clark
              Participant
                @rogerclark

Chris, check your ibox for a message re manual

Regards

Roger

noel shelley
                Participant
                  @noelshelley55608

Hi Chris, Search the net first ! The lathes.co site is a huge resorce of information but having bought a Centec manual at a considerable cost I found most of what I had got was old averts Etc, great if I was a historian, but nothing else that was NOT available free else where on the net. What I got was nicely printed on good paper but from the point of being a user manual a bit thin ! Noel.

Chris Hill 1
                  Participant
                    @chrishill1

Hello. Thanks again for all the replies and help.

Chris Hill 1
                    Participant
                      @chrishill1

Hello. All. Ive started to down the lathe headstock thanks to being able to get a manual. I think ive traced the problem to the 2 angular contact bearings in the head. Only problem is they are very expensive to replace.

Chris Blight
                      Participant
                        @chrisblight51071

Hi Chris Hill 1

I’ve also got a Denham MKII I am currently restoring. I have replaced all the bearings in the headstock on my lathe, there was a lot of play in most of them and those that were okay I changed anyway. The angular contact bearings I bought were around £60 per bearing. I also had to grind the OD of one of the bearings as it was too much interference fit on the inside bearing (.0005″ max is usually the preferred fit for bearings). The headstock bore was tapered, minus .001″ smaller on the inside.

Apart from that it wasn’t too bad to change them and re-install. Just about to fit a new motor and try running it for the first time.

All the best with your restoration.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)