New myford

Advert

New myford

Home Forums General Questions New myford

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Gill
    Participant
      @stephengill79322

I am considering buying a new myford super 7 from myford has any one got any comments good or bad about a new machine?

Advert
      Diogenes
      Participant
        @diogenes

Just out of interest, what will be the ‘total, all-in’ price for lathe, motor, countershaft, chucks, faceplate steadies, centres, etc, i.e. the total cost to have it sat on a bench (or cabinet) ready to cut metal?

Stephen Gill
        Participant
          @stephengill79322

About 8 k for the machine

JasonB
            @jasonb

Although well made I’d be hard pushed to justify the expense purely for that if I were in the market to replace my current WM280. Although the far eastern machines may be a bit rough around the edges I’ve not found mine lacking in the actual work that comes off it which is what matters to me.

So would replace with either another 280 at about 1/3rd the cost of the Myford or a 290 at half the cost but that does have a DRO. The only thing the Myford has that the 280/90 machines do not is a thread cutting gerabox, for me that is not a make or break feature as I may only screwcut once or twice a year and the Myford box does not cover everything so you are likely to be swapping gears anyway.

But it does have a bigger capacity, bigger bore particularly the 290 and I can run in reverse without the chuck falling off. I would also not want to go back to a non variable speed machine as I’m used to that now and can work much faster with it than swapping belts or gears.

John Haine
            Participant
              @johnhaine32865

I bought a big bore S7 from Myford in 2003 so have lived with it for 21 years now.  At the time it was ~£3500 though I got a stand and had the bed induction hardened which cost extra.

I was dismayed by the level of vibration on the higher speed ranges which made any speed using the smaller driven pulley on the countershaft unusable.  Eventually I fitted a Newton Tesla 3phase package and it solved the problem so I would say don’t even consider buying a single-phase version.   The earth bonding wire on the original motor fractured from the vibration.

The top slide is flimsy and I no longer use it (but have cnc’d the machine so it isn’t needed).  It’s travel is also restricted which limits it for tapers longer than MT2.

Though the bore is advertised as MT4 they don’t (or didn’t) make it plain that it’s shortened MT4 so standard tapers will not fit (though that was only a problem once).  If you’re not thinking of the big bore I think the standard spindle bore is very limiting.

Having to remove the spindle to replace the belt is crazy – few other modern lathes require this.  Good reason to use a link belt.

I bought a metric machine and was puzzled by the graduations on the leadscrew handwheel until I realised that the main leadscrew was imperial 8tpi!  For heaven’s sake!

I don’t know if the instruction book has been updated but the one I got was woeful and didn’t really describe the machine it accompanied.

Not yet a problem on mine but the bed design with rectangular sheers is poor – there’s a reason that most modern lathes have prismatic beds.  Even the Unimat 3 did!  When they produced the 254 so did Myford…

In principle the wide range of accessories is good but actually there isn’t  wide choice of new ones and the secondhand market is dwindling – and the rarity puts the price up. Many of the accessories were introduced to circumvent the lack of a milling machine in the home workshop but that isn’t so much of a problem these days.

The design is (in my view) over complex making it too expensive to produce and Myford’s never bothered to update it, part of the reason they went bust.

Overall I realise that probably it wasn’t really a good buy in retrospect though it has served me well.  I would not buy another when I see the excellent work done with much cheaper machines from China etc.  Knowing what I know now I would probably have bought one of those or a used industrial machine.  The SC4 from APTC or Arc is about 1/3 the price and you can buy a lot of accessories with the difference.

These are just my opinions of course.

Martin of Wick
              Participant
                @martinofwick

Interesting to note that the same vendor has a reasonable looking ‘pre owned’ 254s on the Bay for a bit more than half the cost of a new ML.  Just sayin’.

Vic
                Participant
                  @vic
                  On JasonB Said:

I would also not want to go back to a non variable speed machine as I’m used to that now and can work much faster with it than swapping belts or gears.

A rather silly comment. The Harrison M300 I used at work and my BV20 at home both use gears and it only takes a second or two to change speeds.

JasonB
                    @jasonb

My previous Emcomat 8.6 was also geared but I much prefer the variable speed not least as you don’t have to stop the machine, takes a few seconds just to slow down and stop before you can even think of changing gear.

Its not just changing speeds there are other advantages too, you also have the ability to alter speed on say a large facing cut rather than having a slowing cutting speed as the tool gets towards the middle and there are no big jumps between ratios.

larry phelan 1
                    Participant
                      @larryphelan1

Some very interesting points there indeed.

Eight grand is a LOTTA money for any machine THAT size, no matter who makes it [or indeed where ]. I think I would be looking for quite a bit more meat.

I would expect it to come with two chucks, faceplate, steadies, motor, thread cutting gearbox and hardened bedways. Even the cheapy Chinese offerings come with these , at a much more attractive price.

How many small one-man, and his dog workshops could or would spend that kind of money for a hobby machine ??

While my simple Craftsman lathe might not be Toolroom standard, it is more than able to meet my needs and I suspect, many others, with a bigger bore and easy enough to change gears for thread cutting, no big deal.

I think you may be paying a lot for just a name, and as the Bard said “What,s in a name, ect ect”

Forgot to add, the Cheapy Chinese junk models come with their own stand !

Just saying.

I wish them luck, they may need it.

Dave Wootton
                      Participant
                        @davewootton

My friend bought a brand new one from Myford a year or so ago, finished in his own choice of colour (grey) with some of his retirement lump sum. I tried to convince him that a used 254 would be better but he stated ” I’ve always wanted to buy a new S7 to replace the old one, and happily sit there opening all the boxes of accessories and bits that come with it”. He bought it, was absolutely delighted with it and still is, it was expensive but it’s what he wanted and it is used daily. So if you really want to buy one go ahead, his is a lovely machine, I caught him polishing it with Mr Sheen once, now thats love!

There may be bigger or better and there are countless arguments for and against Myfords, but within their capacity there has been an awful lot of good work turned out on them.

Chris Crew
                        Participant
                          @chriscrew66644

I have an ML7R, bought new in 1979, and which I have enhanced to a Super 7 spec. minus the gearbox that I never wanted. I have almost every conceivable accessory, both Myford and shop made, that I amassed over the years. I have never owned a far-eastern lathe but if I were to be starting over I have to say it would be a no-brainer, not least because of the costs involved. You will need to weigh the accessories that are readily available for the Myford, over and above the usual chucks and steadies, to allow a far-eastern machine to perform a whole range of operations, from milling, slotting and gear cutting etc. as opposed to buying a machine that will just ‘turn’. Obviously, accessories and attachments can be made for a far-eastern machine to allow it to perform the same operations as are possible with a Myford but I would suggest the proven designs and castings will not be so conveniently available.

Phil Boyland
                          Participant
                            @philboyland37326

Plenty of light use older S7’s out there for a fraction of the price. Plus they would have been made by original Myford.
                            I bought a 80’s model a few years ago now and it looked like it had only been used for a handful of projects. Can spend more on accessories then 😉

JasonB
                              @jasonb
                              On Chris Crew Said:

Obviously, accessories and attachments can be made for a far-eastern machine to allow it to perform the same operations as are possible with a Myford but I would suggest the proven designs and castings will not be so conveniently available.

But with the cost difference of a far eastern lathe you could spend the difference on a reasonably sized far eastern mill and a bunch of tooling and still have change. Why struggle to mill etc on a Myford these days when there are more practical alternatives. Infact a 280 has a far larger cross slide if you do want to use it for things like boring.

SillyOldDuffer
                                @sillyoldduffer
                                On Chris Crew Said:

You will need to weigh the accessories that are readily available for the Myford, over and above the usual chucks and steadies, to allow a far-eastern machine to perform a whole range of operations, from milling, slotting and gear cutting etc. as opposed to buying a machine that will just ‘turn’. …

Accessories were important back when the Myford ML7 hit the streets because a lathe was the only power tool most people had.   Today milling machines and other power tools are much more common, and they do many tasks better than lathe accessories.   Having bought a mill, I’ve spent very little on extras for my Far Eastern lathe.

The only thing I don’t like about Myford lathes is the price!   No-one has ever shown that an £8k Myford produces work twice as good as a £3k Far Eastern machine.  But plenty of people enjoy driving Myfords more than less well finished kit, and why not if the money is available!

I’m not impressed with the notion that a second-hand Myford, or any other famous brand, is a safe buy.   Trouble is the condition of a second-hand machine depends entirely on it’s history, not on who made it!   Buying new from Myford removes the risk that the machine is damaged by previous owners, and de-risking is an acceptable reason in my book.

Dave

bernard towers
                                Participant
                                  @bernardtowers37738

its funny when the word Myford crops up in a post the usual suspects appear pushing Far Eastern products, its a pity people cant just accept that not everyone wants the same thing. I personally have machines from the USA /france /switzerland and the uk and have never been tempted by anything that had not been used in industry somewhere.

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133
                                    On bernard towers Said:

… its a pity people cant just accept that not everyone wants the same thing. …

Thought for the day ^^^

MichaelG.

not done it yet
                                    Participant
                                      @notdoneityet

When I first bought a lathe, about 30 years ago, it was of chinese origin.  I looked at all sorts of lathes – too small, too big, too expensive, etc. – to replace it.  I came across the Raglan name and was impressed sufficiently to snap up a Little John when I found one with a QCGB.

It served me well, but I eventually changed it for a very good Raglan 5”.  Less than a grand with lots of extras and I won’t be changing again.  It has both electronic and mechanical speed selection, QCGB and a 1” spindle bore (the tiny spindle bore of many lathes I looked at were ‘deselected’ as an option) along with a power feed shaft and half-nuts (so they don’t get worn away by continual operation).

The only down side of the Raglan, compared with most myfords, is the weight.  Not that I am suggesting it is too heavy!

JasonB
                                        @jasonb

Well we were invited to comment.

If the OP had said he was not interested in far eastern machines then we could have saved ourselevs some time. But it seems that most posts even those by Myford owners think they are over priced and/or have shortcomings.

Would be interested to know why the OP feels the need to change from his existing Myford and despite asking in other threads what he intends to use it for we are none the wiser.

Stephen Gill
                                        Participant
                                          @stephengill79322

hi ref use of new machine hobby use only making a beam engine  learning as i go  as i am pretty well still a total beginer

Roger Williams 2
                                          Participant
                                            @rogerwilliams2

Find youself a nice Hardinge HLVH , lovely lathe in my opinion. Had one for a few years but sold it and have regretted it ever since . I will try and find a picture, definitely better than a Myford and cheaper probably.

SillyOldDuffer
                                              @sillyoldduffer
                                              On bernard towers Said:

its funny when the word Myford crops up in a post the usual suspects appear pushing Far Eastern products, its a pity people cant just accept that not everyone wants the same thing….

Stephen asked “I am considering buying a new myford super 7 from myford has any one got any comments good or bad about a new machine?”

I said “The only thing I don’t like about Myford lathes is the price!”  Am I not allowed to mention Myford lathes are expensive and that cheaper alternatives are available?  It is a fact!

I don’t care what Model Engineers buy – only that we understand the options and spend money on whatever we decide suits us.

Dave

JasonB
                                                @jasonb

So we can assume you are going to be using it for model engineering and possibly the stationary steam side of things rather than repairing cars or bikes or something else.

What do you hope to gain from the purchase of a new one over what you already have? Is it worn and not performing as you hoped? Are you able to correct any problems? Would you be able to tell a nice secondhand machine from a dog with a new coat of paint so want the reassurance of a new machine? If so are you open to other suggestions?

As you are just starting out I would say build the beam engine with what you have (if it is working or can be made to work) and then you may have a better idea at the end of that what your future needs may be or even if model engineering is for you?  Bit of a pain if you decide you want to make larger stationary engines or maybe a traction engine only to find the Myford is too small.

BTW did you buy a mill in the end?

peak4
                                                Participant
                                                  @peak4

It might be worth perusing the adverts on Tony’s site; There’s several possible candidates, including a big bore with DRO and various accessories.
                                                  https://store.lathes.co.uk/adverts

Bill

Bazyle
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bazyle

Off topic but reminds me of a chat at work one lunch time when we were comparing first cars, bought when we were anything from 19 to 25. Usual old Cortinas and Moggies etc. Then we asked the American software engineer. Aged 16 dad gave him a new Corvette. Well dad was the Governor of a state so no problems with the speeding tickets.

I’m not against Myfords, I have a nice post war one, Admiralty pattern, designed by Drummonds.

Neil Lickfold
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neillickfold44316

It depends what you want to make and how accurate the roundness of the final items you are wanting to make. Even for your 8k, there won’t be an eastern machine with a spindle that will produce as round of a part as the Myford S7 or the newer version of it. I agree that if you get one, to get the VFD and 3phase motor. You won’t regret the variable speed convenience.

I have tried to by a Hardinge or the Feeler replacement lathes. In NZ seldom do they come up for sale, and if they do are alot more than the 8k you are spending for one that can do thread cutting.

If what you want to make, can be made inside the lathes capabilities, then all is good.

Hobby lathes do not take the size cuts that can be made on a commercial machine, but often have attachments that a commercial lathe does not have, like being able to mill a part  or set up a small drilling or milling fixture etc.

Some even have made a brake plate, that is used when drilling cross holes in a part or milling a feature in a part, and have the milling or drilling head mounted on the cross slide.

Now that I have a mill, can transfer the chuck and part to the mill for the second operation, and back to  the lathe for it’s final parting off or the second turning operation.

Never owned a brand New S7 lathe. But very happy with my one, now that it has the VFD and 3 phase motor.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)