New member hoping for some good advice

Advert

New member hoping for some good advice

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! New member hoping for some good advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    enahs
    Participant
      @enahs

Joined up to get to see if I can more I for on a project I’m working on, thanks

Advert
      Bo’sun
      Participant
        @bosun58570

Pardon?

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Welcome enahs, ask away, what’s the problem?

Dave

enahs
          Participant
            @enahs

Thanks Dave,, I have 3d printed a item that’s like a tophat as I call it, with 4mm slits down the sides 3 of them. I have tried everything I can think of to make the item slot into a tube and hold in there, I need it so that it fits say 10mm upto 14mm tubes ie flat spring bent, but when I try it in the tube there is no give in the spring so that doesn’t work. Any help would be much appreciated.

tophat

enahs
            Participant
              @enahs

Sorry SillyOldDuffer was meant to say Joined up to see if I can get any ideas on a project I’m working on, thanks

Harry Wilkes
              Participant
                @harrywilkes58467

Welcome to the forum

H

<script src=”moz-extension://47cb7401-7907-4033-9172-9608686fb294/js/app.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

enahs
                Participant
                  @enahs

Thanks Harry

Peter Cook 6
                  Participant
                    @petercook6

As no-one has as yet responded, my thoughts are.

I take it you are planning different sized inserts for the 10mm and 14mm tubes. I doubt any “simple” design would cater for that range of sizes. It would need to have some sort of expansion mechanism designed in.

If you are printing different sizes, What material are you printing in. If it’s ordinary PLA, then by the time you get the three lugs strong enough to not snap off, they will be too inflexible to provide any realistic spring.

The inserts I have seen to push into tubing seem to use a series of thin flexible ribs round the circumference, which deform when you push the insert into the tube. Something like this.

Insert

However it would need to be printed in one of the flexible  materials, and they are reputed ( I have never tried them) to be difficult to print.

I would personally make the insert without slits, and include a groove (or two) for a suitable O-ring. If the insert is a close fit in the tube, and the O-ring groove the right width and depth, the ring will deform when you push the insert in and grip the tube.

enahs
                    Participant
                      @enahs

petercook6 thanks for the reply, I will look into your suggestion as I think it may work, like you say expansion mechanism designed in would have to be done, I have printed both in PLA and PETG as PEDG is more flexible, I shall give it a go and let you know how I get on,

Peter Cook 6
                      Participant
                        @petercook6

If you go with the ribs, I suspect you will need something like TPU rather than PETG.

I would go with the O-ring approach.

enahs
                        Participant
                          @enahs

Thanks Peter, what size would you make the grooves for the O rings as they are different thicknesses, ie 1.5mm to 3.4mm.

Howard Lewis
                          Participant
                            @howardlewis46836

Welcome to the Forum!

If you decide to print the the sleeeves, for want of a better word, with grooves for O rings. you could consult one of the O ring suppliers.  They will will provide advice as to the width and depth of grooves for an O ring of a particular section and size.

In this way, the ring will provide a good seal.

In your case, you will not be interested in sealing against fluids, necessarily, but using the friction to hold the dleeve in place..

Obviously, you will need to print a different sleeve for each size of tube, and O ring section.

Howard   Typos!

enahs
                            Participant
                              @enahs

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi Howard, thanks very much for the information, I will contact one of the O ring suppliers.</p>

Peter Cook 6
                              Participant
                                @petercook6

If you are doing this a s  prototype for volume production, then definitely consult the experts. If it’s just for your own project, then there are lots of O-ring design guides freely available on the web. E.g.

Eriks technical manual

allorigs metric

Global Rings – US imperial

They have more detail that you will ever need!

Lee Rogers
                                Participant
                                  @leerogers95060

So what is it ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)