New Forum Software questions not in Help/FAQs

Advert

New Forum Software questions not in Help/FAQs

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads New Forum Software questions not in Help/FAQs

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133
      On Ketan Swali said

Hi MichaelG

The response I got from your link to Documents Gallery for PDF file was ‘No preview available’.

I used various options for the tests, and got the same results.

I also went via your profile page and got the same result.

Ketan at ARC.

Apologies for the delayed response, Ketan

I have only just returned home.

… in my absence, it appears that the problem has been identified, and so I can probably claim “it’s not my fault; it was them”

Phew

MichaelG.

Advert
      Ketan Swali
      Participant
        @ketanswali79440

No apologies necessary Michael. It’s all good 🙂👍🏽

Ketan at ARC.

Wow… the emojis work too.

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer
          On Ian P said

I know that images and albums from the old site have not been carried over but have all the old posts been lost?

Put another way, how do I find my posts (I’m logged in) or posts from another member?

Ian P

Although the old posts and images in them are present,  they aren’t easy to navigate to.  They should be list in the users profile, but it only shows posts added since go-live, which is probably a bug. I’m waiting for my login to the new bug reporting system to report it.

In the meantime, if you can remember which topic they’re in, the topic can be trawled to find older posts, but it’s tedious.  Another possibility is using the Search to find your username.

Dave

Ian P
          Participant
            @ianp

In trying to find posts that I have made and posted in the past, I looked in (my) ‘Profile’ and see this message,

You do not have the required user role to view this user list.

What am I doing wrong?

Ian P

SillyOldOrdinaryMember
            Participant
              @sillyoldordinarymember
              On Ian P said

In trying to find posts that I have made and posted in the past, I looked in (my) ‘Profile’ and see this message,

What am I doing wrong?

Ian P

You aren’t doing anything wrong.  Probably a permissions bug. Logged in as SillyOldOrdinaryMember, i.e. without Moderator privileges, I get the same error.

Sigh,

Dave

SillyOldOrdinaryMember
              Participant
                @sillyoldordinarymember
                On SillyOldOrdinaryMember said
                On Ian P said

What am I doing wrong?

Ian P

You aren’t doing anything wrong.  Probably a permissions bug. Logged in as SillyOldOrdinaryMember, i.e. without Moderator privileges, I get the same error.

Sigh,

Dave

Sorry, I may have misled.  Click Activity rather than Profile.   Try tomorrow because something odd is going on for me with both ordinary and moderator personas : the controls aren’t behaving normally.

Clicking Profile in the Green Bar above should list Activities, including posts made.  Also, optionally clicking the Profile button at that point should allow you to view and edit your login details.    Both seem to be malfunctioning for me too.

Dave

JasonB
                  @jasonb

SOD Activity (orange) is a Moderator thing

When a Member opens their profile it lists activity but only on the new forum, no easy way to find your own posts from the old site. More suggestions in the other Creative Comments thread and how to search

Mike Hurley
                  Participant
                    @mikehurley60381

On 21 October 2023 at 16:44 Ian P said
                    I know that images and albums from the old site have not been carried over but have all the old posts been lost?

Put another way, how do I find my posts (I’m logged in) or posts from another member?

Ian P

Although not obviously ‘up front’ on the new site, you can still locate previous articles complete with images etc simply by using the search facility.

For example – I was a bit horrified when I first logged onto the new site to find everything seemed to have reverted to 0, particularly as I was part way through following an article by JasonB! After a while I remembered the articles title and did a search and bingo the complete, lengthy document was there in all its glory. Phew!

HTH Mike

Roderick Jenkins
                    Participant
                      @roderickjenkins93242

On the old forum I was able to set it up to go to the latest post on a topic e.g straight to page 12 not page 1.

Is that facility available now?

Keep at it guys.  With your sterling work I’m sure we will get there in the end.

Thanks,

Rod

SillyOldDuffer
                        @sillyoldduffer
                        On Roderick Jenkins said

On the old forum I was able to set it up to go to the latest post on a topic e.g straight to page 12 not page 1.

Is that facility available now?

Should be – it was reported as a bug during testing.   Seems to work intermittently for me at the moment.

Dave

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Rod we don’t have that option

What we have at the moment is if you use latest activity list clicking the topic (thread) will take you to the last post

Also if looking down one of the forum heading lists if you click the time above the name of the last person posting that will also take you to the last page. Slight problem if it was a multiple of 25 as that takes you to the top of the next page and not such an easy route back to the previous

Ian P
                          Participant
                            @ianp
                            On Mike Hurley said

On 21 October 2023 at 16:44 Ian P said

Ian P

Although not obviously ‘up front’ on the new site, you can still locate previous articles complete with images etc simply by using the search facility.

For example – I was a bit horrified when I first logged onto the new site to find everything seemed to have reverted to 0, particularly as I was part way through following an article by JasonB! After a while I remembered the articles title and did a search and bingo the complete, lengthy document was there in all its glory. Phew!

HTH Mike

Thanks for your reply but I think I must be seeing a different version of the forum software on my computer and phone to what you see.

I first saw your reply when I got the email notification on my phone (Android), I read it and then and scrolled up and down several times so I could ‘simply use’ the ‘Search facility’ you mentioned. I have only just got to my PC and its still not made itself known to me.

Ian P

JasonB
                              @jasonb

IanP, Click “forums” along the green bar and then you will get the list of forum headings, there is a box to type in and a big blue button “search” just at the top right of that list just below FAQs/help

Ian P
                              Participant
                                @ianp

Thanks Jason, I can see that now.

Is there a petition I can sign to reinstate the old forum software?

That is a serious question. I know you and everyone else is doing their best to fix the numerous problems but the most expedient solution might be to revert until a new and usable site can be launched. I feel that if the current site continues broadly as it is then members will be leaving in droves.

Ian P

JasonB
                                  @jasonb

I think a few of us moderators are the top signatories already. Lesser of the two evils

It was becoming unstable and insecure so could have broken at any time and then hard to recover the data and a long downtime while an alternative was found. So unlikely to be brought back.

peak4
                                  Participant
                                    @peak4
                                    On Ian P said

What am I doing wrong?

Ian P

Ian, this was one of the topics I was looking at yesterday.
                                    I believe that all normal users get that error message, but there are other options available within your profile.
                                    Log on to Profile for starters, Activity, Personal, and there is also a dropdown filter box;
                                    This only seems to display any activity on the new forum, so it appears that you can’t see your posts on the old forum;

image_2023-10-22_210205209

However, if you then move to Forums, as per the next screenshot, you will see Topics Started, and Replies Created.
                                    This does include your entries on both old and new forums.
                                    Search seems to work from there as well. 🙂image_2023-10-22_210530785

Bill

peak4
                                    Participant
                                      @peak4
                                      On Ian P said

What am I doing wrong?

Ian P

Ian, I’ve just tried clicking on your user name which lets me view some of your profile, barring the previously mentioned error message.
                                      It seems that I can also select the options mentioned in my previous post, and see what you have created and replied to in the past, on both new and old forums

image_2023-10-22_212158968

image_2023-10-22_211922234

Where I’m struggling, would be to find all forum posts by a member, if I cant find a different single post by them, so I can click on their user name to find that profile access.

Bill

JasonB
                                        @jasonb

Peak4 and all others looking for their old posts, see my separate thread as to where they can be found.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)