New forum problems

Advert

New forum problems

Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    dhendley
    Keymaster
      @dhendley

I think we are really getting somewhere now!

Advert
      David-Clark 1
      Participant
        @david-clark1

I am posting this to check time.

Update, 5 seconds, 4 times as fast.

Well done.

Ches Green UK
        Participant
          @chesgreenuk

Darren,

Yes, the speed seems to have improved from typically 10-20 secs for Login, page hopping etc to maybe 5-10 secs, sometimes less. Well done….and keep going 😉

Ches – W10, FF, wired internet.

David-Clark 1
          Participant
            @david-clark1

This is why I am not keen on WordPress.

104 attacks in 24 hours, 90 of them brute force.

I only set the site up yesterday, about 24 hours ago.

Also there were about 15 million attacks worldwide at about midnight last night.

It is nice to be able to add photos direct to posts.

IMG_0501IMG_0503

David-Clark 1
            Participant
              @david-clark1

Also, there was no time delay because of the photos.

David-Clark 1
              Participant
                @david-clark1

Perhaps the next step is to add latest posts and classifieds for sale and wanted to the home page. This should be a very simple fix with WordPress.

Ian P
                Participant
                  @ianp

Well its definitely faster than it was so (visible) progress at last.

Let’s hope that whatever you did that was able to give the step-change in response time is something that is repeatable or at least has given you a clue to where or what the rest of the sluggishness is caused by.

One thought that keeps occurring to me regarding the subject of ‘login speed’. Whilst I don’t understand the technicalities of website coding or structure can anyone explain why the same long delay is also present when moving from page to page, or thread to thread when one is already logged in.

I can imagine that Cloudflare or whatever else security system being involved when one first visits the site, but once logged in surely it does not need to keep checking the same user?

Ian P

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks, Darren … Yes there does seem to be a very significant improvement in response time … let’s hope it persists when people come back.

Incidentally: I haven’t needed to log back in … so presumably [despite the warning] I was never logged out by the system.

MichaelG.

Mike Hurley
                    Participant
                      @mikehurley60381

Yes! definate, noticeable improvement since earlier this morning. Thanks Darren for your hard work and efforts.

regards Mike

Clive Brown 1
                      Participant
                        @clivebrown1

Definitely quicker! 5 secs. from click to logged in. Well done.

JasonB
                          @jasonb

As I have said by email I’m not seeing much of an improvement, I did not have the 20second sor so wait that others are mentioning so maybe that is why.

My Benchmark topic that have have been using throughout testing is 8-9 seconds to open just as it was yesterday ( it has been worse). I have also just tried it on another PC and got the same result, an ipad about 8 seconds.

Compare that to trying a random topic of similar number of replies over on model boars and that opened in less than 2 seconds so ME is still slow.

Similar size topics on MEM and HMEM open in less than a second. This is what Admin should be aiming for not around 5 seconds

EDIT seven seconds from submit to post showing, again way slower than the opposition.

David Ambrose
                          Participant
                            @davidambrose86182

Not sure if this has already been pointed out, but on my iPad the annoying Warco pop up doesn’t work when I click on it. It takes me to something called Advintage.net, which displays a blank page.  The Warco ad at the top of page however does work.

Harry Wilkes
                            Participant
                              @harrywilkes58467

And I would have said start again I have earlier this evening tried to comment on two other posts only to get the 403 error and hoping that this one goes through! For me is not just the 403 problem but so so hit and miss when I click the kink to this forum if I’ll get connected and this problem is across 3 platforms win10 ,linux mint or android so unless someone tells me this will go away and quick I’d say start again

H

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Darren,

Just to endorse the comment made by Ian P

… the ergonomic features of the user-interface are appalling: there is no consistent ‘look and feel’ to the site, and various links to the same [or slightly different] feature are scattered all over the place.

It’s really time for a ‘less is more’ approach … a few clearly identifiable ‘buttons’ to do what the users actually want to do.

I sense that some of the features have been put-in “because we can”

That said, I remain convinced that there must be some fundamental flaw in the database: It is surely  too big and/or badly structured … anything which involves searching it or re-ordering it seems to grind exceedingly slow !

I don’t personally have the technical skills to investigate this, but I suggest that investigation should be a priority. … Considerable improvements have been made but, as Ian has already wondered, are they scaleable ?

My gut-feeling, from having worked with people who do understand this stuff, is that the present data structure is akin to a ball of wool that the kitten has played with … so there are unforeseen knots and tangles.

Migrating data is always a challenge, but proper data-cleansing helps a lot !

MichaelG.

Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)