New Covid Rules

Advert

New Covid Rules

Home Forums Model engineering club news New Covid Rules

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    SillyOldDuffer
      @sillyoldduffer
      Posted by not done it yet on 01/11/2020 16:56:53:

It was a mistake trusting the younger generation to follow the guidelines …

A far bigger mistake is blaming anyone without evidence. Apart from being unjust, believing in the wrong answer distracts effective action away from real causes. Whilst locking up everyone under 30 would make me happy for other reasons, it won't stop the epidemic.

The disease spreads due to people coming into contact. Any people, any contact, any time. Raves are bad, so is travelling by bus, road mending, working in a team, being a carer, going shopping, visiting vulnerable relatives, having an tooth out, or opening the front door to take in a parcel.

'For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.' It's why I distrust the Daily Mail, far too many clear simple solutions.

Covid is a b*st*rd. Stay safe.

Dave

Advert
      martin perman 1
      Participant
        @martinperman1

I went to a customer with their medication on Friday, I usually go once a week but this was the first time in over a month, the lady of the house answered the door and I asked her how she was, she said we are better thanks and she told me they had had Covid, her husband ended up in hospital as he is bed bound and became very ill, the lady told me they go nowhere, dont have a car and food is delivered outside their house, turns out the Carer who comes to see her husband every day had it and she is kitted out with all the PPE etc.

Martin P

not done it yet
        Participant
          @notdoneityet

Does that reflect the difference between the SE (where infections seem to be lower) and the NE/NW where infections are rampant? Average R values, for the whole country, are misleading. Agriculture has to carry on regardless. It’s good that people can work from home. We know that some Leicester sweat shop industries ignored the rules during the last lock-down – very likely the main reason for their local lock-downs.

Again, most London jobs, other than shops restaurants, etc, tend to be office located. It is those working from home that are making the place quiet, which is good for the R value. Factory jobs are an entirely different proposition – particularly meat processing factories?

Perhaps these empty spaces need comparing with campus parties and pub-goers in other places. I know our local pub bends the rules as much as they can get away with, but we are lucky in that infections are fewer in our area.

Mike Poole
          Participant
            @mikepoole82104

I hope Logan’s Run isn’t going to be on the telly any time soon, it might give the wrong people some ideas.sad

Mike

not done it yet
            Participant
              @notdoneityet

How many infections here?

**LINK**

As many as 700 potentially spreading the virus in Bristol and the surrounding area. 700 that simply do not care.

old mart
              Participant
                @oldmart

Midnight, Wednesday 4th November. I will only get one day to take anything I need at home back from the museum. This time I will remember all the batteries for my Parkside tools.

blowlamp
                Participant
                  @blowlamp

"As many as 700 potentially spreading the virus in Bristol and the surrounding area. 700 that simply do not care."

That's unbelievable!

The strange thing is Mrs Blowlamp is back to school tomorrow, where there are over 700 pupils and more than 80 members of staff!

What gives question

Edited By blowlamp on 01/11/2020 19:34:48

Edited By blowlamp on 01/11/2020 19:36:02

Ron Colvin
                  Participant
                    @roncolvin83430
                    Posted by Mike Poole on 01/11/2020 19:07:48:

I hope Logan’s Run isn’t going to be on the telly any time soon, it might give the wrong people some ideas.sad

Mike

Or have a segregation of the generations,. Sixteen to Thirty year old's get to live in Partyland. Once turning thirty, unlike in Logan's Run, they are not euthanized, but are expelled into Oldiesland, where there is no more partying, ever!. laugh

old mart
                    Participant
                      @oldmart

The govenment might have given a bit longer notice, a fortnight would have been sensible.

not done it yet
                      Participant
                        @notdoneityet

I’ve just received an email with reference to the spread of covid infections:

Appropriate analogy. "The curve is flattening so we can start lifting restrictions now" is like saying "The parachute has slowed our rate of descent, so we can take it off now."

The spread of COVID-19 is based on 2 things:

o How dense the population is

o How dense the population is

I thought these were quite appropriate, among others.

Edited By not done it yet on 03/11/2020 16:09:21

Tim Stevens
                        Participant
                          @timstevens64731

It seems to me that there are factors influencing Govt decisions which are kept secret. Was the failure to produce a decent track and trace system because the Govt could not make the necessary deals – perhaps because of brexit, perhaps because they had previously sold off or underfunded resources?

The courts are clogged up because there are not enough rooms where they can do their jury business at a 'covid' distance apart. Recently the Govt sold off lots of court facilities and this is said to be a serious factor. How much else is going on – or not going on – that is a cover up for Govt actions in the past?

Why is the NHS struggling to cope? Have they been underfunded for the last ten + years?

Why can't local authorities fund meals for poor children? Have they been ditto ditto … ?

cheers, Tim

Tony Pratt 1
                          Participant
                            @tonypratt1

NO ONE will ever know the truth of it. I'm going to stop reading these type of threads the same as I now don't listen to my local radio, everyone's an expert & the media keep stirring the pot, this Covid is a gift for them which keeps giving ad naseum.

Tony

Oldiron
                            Participant
                              @oldiron
                              Posted by old mart on 02/11/2020 19:22:00:

The govenment might have given a bit longer notice, a fortnight would have been sensible.

Sorry to disagree with that statement. That is a another 2 weeks of partying mingling etc and chances of spreading the virus even more.

regards

Howard Lewis
                              Participant
                                @howardlewis46836

When drawing up a risk assessment it may be useful to analyse the figures declared by Government. Once translated into percentages, there is a much clearer vision of the risks involved.

In my view, we are repairing a car after a crash, which would not have happened if the brakes had been fixed first of all. But that is only the view of a retired Quality Engineer., so may not be valid, in the eyes of some.

Howard

blowlamp
                                Participant
                                  @blowlamp
                                  Posted by V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:23:12:

HaHa yes but it does say Library Pictures on there

Edited By V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:24:00

Edited By V8Eng on 05/12/2020 12:24:38

Oh gosh, I hope the BBC haven't misrepresented Boris & Ursula on today's (05/12/2020) BBC Breakfast, by showing them seemingly not adhering to the Hands, Face, Space rules!

Stay in bubble, keep apart, be safe! rainbow

Edited By blowlamp on 05/12/2020 13:25:01

old mart
                                  Participant
                                    @oldmart
                                    Posted by Oldiron on 03/11/2020 17:25:59:

Posted by old mart on 02/11/2020 19:22:00:

Sorry to disagree with that statement. That is a another 2 weeks of partying mingling etc and chances of spreading the virus even more.

regards

Rather slow in replying to this reply, but what I meant was that the government could have announced earlier than they did before the original end date for the lockdown. I did not mean that the date be extended.

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133

This seems the best thread in which to post this ‘interesting’ graphic from the Telegraph:

e495ca75-f6c6-4da9-afac-9324b124211f.jpeg

Keep away from people !!

MichaelG.

Former Member
                                      Participant
                                        @formermember12892

[This posting has been removed]

Anthony Knights
                                        Participant
                                          @anthonyknights16741

Deleted

Edited By Anthony Knights on 13/01/2021 08:56:42

Tony Wright 1
                                          Participant
                                            @tonywright1

Just go to the workshop ,shut the door relax and enjoy your model engineering . 😁

Nigel Graham 2
                                            Participant
                                              @nigelgraham2

Well, it's now April 2021

And we're back to somewhere we vaguely were in ummmm…. Last year.

At Weymouth we can meet again up to 6 maximum, with a booking system run by the Secretary who announces the names on the Thursday or Friday, and indeed some members did meet today for the first time for the year.

Our situation is complicated by being in school grounds with access controlled by a public sports-centre on the same site, as the Holder of The Gate Keys. Luckily it is open (when legally allowed of course) enough to cover our Saturday day-times and Tuesday evenings; presently outdoors of course so the Tuesdays can only be in Summer's light, mild evenings.

'''

Frankly I don't see any real return to what we once thought normal, not for a long time anyway; and whilst it's all very well moaning in hindsight about what "They" are doing or not doing, should be or shouldn't be doing, what Rules are right (or Right, or Left) or Wrong…. we none of we are above the Rules of Biology.

Peter Greene
                                              Participant
                                                @petergreene36336
                                                Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 17/04/2021 21:06:18:

Well, it's now April 2021

And we're back to somewhere we vaguely were in ummmm…. Last year.

Your lucky …. here's where we are in Ontario:

cv19-ont.jpg

Ady1
                                                Participant
                                                  @ady1

The Logans run analogy is pretty accurate, those with a young state of mind will get on with it, those with an elderly state of mind will hide

Our parents and grandparents didn't even consider previous flu pandemics worth mentioning, probably because of two world wars

Edited By Ady1 on 17/04/2021 23:28:37

John Olsen
                                                  Participant
                                                    @johnolsen79199

I don't know who Ady has been listening to, but I have certainly been aware of the 1918 flu pandemic for a long time, partly from oral sources and partly from frequent mentions in historical sources. It did after all kill at least as many people as the war itself, though I suppose it can be argued that since the war itself probably was a major cause of the outbreak, all those people were actually war casualties.

All that talk early last year about "no worse than the flu", seems a bit moot when you consider the number of casualties that outbreak caused. Bear in mind that the same virus is still around, and still presumably capable of mutating into something worse, as it did at that time. That is also something that sensible people have been thinking about with the Covid, and of course with more transmissable variants emerging they have been vindicated. Just bear in mind that it is also possible for it to mutate to become more lethal too.

John

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      Posted by Ady1 on 17/04/2021 23:25:01:

[…]

those with a young state of mind will get on with it, those with an elderly state of mind will hide

Then feel free to consider my state of mind ‘elderly’

It would be a pity to waste all that tricky cardiac work that they did for me.

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)