Name that Rotary Table !!

Advert

Name that Rotary Table !!

Home Forums Manual machine tools Name that Rotary Table !!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Russ B
    Participant
      @russb

Hi all,

I recently bought a new machine, and the generous chap threw in what I think, is a very nice 6" rotary table, but I've not seen one like this before and can't find any similar by googling, I thought maybe it's one he had machined himself from castings?

It has a lovely smooth and very sure motion, with no backlash at all. It has a very low profile and can be mounted horizontally or vertically. there is a plug in the center which is plain, and reveals a hole benith, I don't think its 1 morse but it could be, I'll try an old centre in it next time I remember but from memory, it has no thru hole and a standard 1 morse is certainly taller than the whole thing (I could be totoally wrong about the through hole…)

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited By Russell Bates on 03/01/2014 19:50:46

Edited By JasonB on 03/01/2014 19:55:35

Advert
      Russ B
      Participant
        @russb

Just a bit of fun =)

Lathejack
        Participant
          @lathejack

Hello Russell

If it appears to be one machined from castings it could be one of the casting kits supplied by Ivan Law of Model Engineering Services in Eckington Derbyshire, just a few miles down the road from me. These were available, i think, in four inch and six inch sizes and came with cast in tee slots.

Saxalby
          Participant
            @saxalby

Hi Russell,

It is identical to one i bought from either Chronos or Millhill Supplies many years ago. Mine is a 4 inch and like yours very smooth action with virtually no backlash even after many years use. Modified mine with a small thrust bearing, and a larger handle, the original was a bit small. Also mine has just a plain 1/2 inch centre hole.

Barry

Russ B
            Participant
              @russb

I've had a look for Ivan Law's castings but I couldn't see anything, also struggled finding pictures of anything other than the newer style rotary tables from Vertex and Soba (Homge castings/copies or are they just another name?)

I might get it stripped down, cleaned up and regreased, work out a mount for a little nema 17 and measure up for a home made tailstock of some sortsenlightened

JasonB
                @jasonb

My first table was the 4" that Barry describes, still got it knocking about somewhere.

Nicholas Farr
                Participant
                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Russell, I think it is likely to be a commercially made one. I have a Soba 4" one of the same design, just 2 1/6" high, 4 1/4" deep and 5 7/16" wide. It has a 7 mm parallel blind hole down the middle and 14 mm where your plain blank is. There is an adjusting screw with a locknut on the right hand side of the worm.

soba4inc.jpg

This is one I bought from Chronos some 15 or so years ago at one of the exhibitions. I use it occasionally on my Cobra mill.

Regards Nick.

Roderick Jenkins
                  Participant
                    @roderickjenkins93242

Snap!

sharp rot.jpg

This is my Sharp 4" rotary table, bought at the same time as my Sharp mill. Although manufacturing rights for the mill were passed to Town Bent Engineering the rotary table went to R&M Barrowclough. Both were advertising in ME in the late 1980s. The RT was advertised as a finished product or a kit. Barrowclough still appear to be in business. I have a vague recollection that a 6" RT was also available but I may be fantasising.

cheers,

Rod

Russ B
                    Participant
                      @russb

Brilliant! Those 2 look great!

Nick, yes it does have an adjusting screw on the worm spot on!

Rod, the machine it came with is a late 80's Nu-Tools Mill/Drill so its all adding up perfectly.

To me it looking like a pretty simple design and casting, and yet feels solid and quality and has a good low profile, is there any reason they all seem to have switched to the more rounded designs?

Thanks again everyone for all the input, its really nice to know a bit of history about my tooling!

EdH
                      Participant
                        @edh

If you're interested in what a MES Rotary Table looks like I think this is one in my Albums.

Note there is not a table with tee slots but instead a threaded nose, which is not removable, to take Myford size fittings. I'm not sure if this is a one off or they were all like this. Another Quiz question maybe?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)