Mystery Tool

Advert

Mystery Tool

Home Forums General Questions Mystery Tool

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alan ord 2
    Participant
      @alanord2

Can anybody identify what this tool is and what it is used for. Came with a bunch of tools purchased at an auction. Looks like some form of swaging tool but unlike the tool I use for swaging pipes where the pipe / tube is clamped so it can’t move. Can’t understand what the spring loaded vee jaws are for? The pin has a form on the end and can be moved in and out via the screw thread. The spring has no impact on the screwed pin.

thumbnail_IMG_3659thumbnail_IMG_3658thumbnail_IMG_3660thumbnail_IMG_3662thumbnail_IMG_3663

Advert
      Clive Foster
      Participant
        @clivefoster55965

Splitter for old style (Reynold et al) roller chain as used on motorcycles and general machine drives.

Pretty common part of motorcyclists toolkit back in the days when we bought a box of the right size, but too long, and had to cut it down to length before fitting.

Squeeze the handle to pen the jaws, hook them over a sideplate in line with the roller and turn the handle so the crew pushes the pin out of the link plate. Repeat on the other pin and take the link out. Discard link and plate because they will almost certainly be bent.

Can’t handle the modern chains with need more push to get the pin out of the link plate.

Clive

chrissie
        Participant
          @chrissie

I would also assume that this is an old motorcycle chain riveting tool. Those are still in use today as the chains of high-power bikes cannot be safely joined using a traditional (bycicle-like) chain locks.

See this link:

https://www.amazon.de/Elerose-Kettennieter-Verbindungs-Reparatur-Werkzeuge/dp/B07H93GQS8

Chrissie

Pete Rimmer
          Participant
            @peterimmer30576
            On chrissie Said:

I would also assume that this is an old motorcycle chain riveting tool. Those are still in use today as the chains of high-power bikes cannot be safely joined using a traditional (bycicle-like) chain locks.

See this link:

https://www.amazon.de/Elerose-Kettennieter-Verbindungs-Reparatur-Werkzeuge/dp/B07H93GQS8

Chrissie

Well, they can. My 400hp bike used a split link.

alan ord 2
            Participant
              @alanord2

Thanks for the feedback guys. This forum never ceases to amaze me of the amount of knowledge available from members.

Now off to watch the football.

Alan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)