Mystery change wheels

Advert

Mystery change wheels

Home Forums Manual machine tools Mystery change wheels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert Bailey 1
    Participant
      @robertbailey1

I purchased a Harrison L5A 11 inch which came with these change wheels that are for another lathe. I would be grateful for help identifying what they fit so I can sell them and the proceeds go towards obtaining some of the right ones. There's a total of 6, 16DP at 100 % confidence, Teeth 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 100. 3/4 inch bore, 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch keyway. The cast ones have a L4 marking and what looks like 88 or 86 but could just be marks from the runner or raiser.img_20191224_122852_7.jpg

Advert
      Robert Bailey 1
      Participant
        @robertbailey1
        Martin Connelly
        Participant
          @martinconnelly55370

Smart and Brown model M, possibly other models as well.

Martin C

Robert Bailey 1
          Participant
            @robertbailey1

Thanks, There were some Smart and Brown threaded catch plates included to.

old mart
            Participant
              @oldmart

I agree, the L4 is a common S & B casting / forging mark, and 16DP is one of their gear tooth sizes for the model M type.

not done it yet
              Participant
                @notdoneityet

Not suitable for your lathe?

If you could cut centres, might it be a better to modify these than buy originals?

sp@rks
                Participant
                  @sprks
                  On Robert Bailey 1 Said:

I purchased a Harrison L5A 11 inch which came with these change wheels that are for another lathe. I would be grateful for help identifying what they fit so I can sell them and the proceeds go towards obtaining some of the right ones. There’s a total of 6, 16DP at 100 % confidence, Teeth 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 100. 3/4 inch bore, 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch keyway. The cast ones have a L4 marking and what looks like 88 or 86 but could just be marks from the runner or raiser.img_20191224_122852_7.jpg

Longshot I know but do you still have these?

old mart
                  Participant
                    @oldmart

I agree that the Smart & Brown model M use 16dp gears and according to my charts are the only S & B lathes to do so. And L4 is commonly used by them in part/casting numbers. Other makes may also use the same gear sizes.

Nigel Graham 2
                    Participant
                      @nigelgraham2

Not Done It Yet –

As a Harrison L5 owner…

Easier to obtain the correct wheels from, e.g. Home & Workshop Machinery, and it may be possible to trade those S&B ones in.

The problem with mixing change-wheels is that even if they apparently match those that came with the lathe, their pressure-angles may differ.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)