Myford VME milling machine

Advert

Myford VME milling machine

Home Forums Manual machine tools Myford VME milling machine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ed milton
    Participant
      @edmilton29925

Hi. Has anyone got or has anyone fitted a power feed unit on the x axis of a Myford VME mill? I want to fit one to my mill and I’m looking for some advice on the best options. Thanks.

Advert
      ed milton
      Participant
        @edmilton29925
        not done it yet
        Participant
          @notdoneityet

A commercial unit, or are you prepared to make one?

If the latter, I loosely followed the build by Phil Vandelay, for my Raglan.

LINK

Dave Wootton
          Participant
            @davewootton

img_0115.jpgHi Ed

Some pictures of the one I made for my VM-E, I got information on what to buy from John Baguley's website and used the speed controller as described on Myforboy's youtube video. I'm afraid it was cobbled up from materials I had, the pulleys, belt and speed controller are from ebay and the motor, power supply and drive unit from Stepperonline. Been in fairly hard use for over a year now with no problems, in fact this morning was the first time I've looked inside it since building it. I enjoyed making the dog clutch, not sure if it is entirely necessary but it works well. The main structure is all alloy to save weight, and because I had some! Bit of a fiddle to connect the remote potentiometer and switches to the control card, but despite hamfistedness it is doable. there is no facility for rapid traverse other than winding the speed control pot up fully, but if you were into things like Arduino's it should be possible. There are other pictures in my album one has the pasrt numbers of the motor and controller. Hope this is of use. Dave

Meant to say the arrangement uses the original feedscrew end bearing arrangement, which in this case had been faced off square so it was all very easy to arrange. I didn't bother about extending the shaft to fit the feed dial as the machine has DRO fitted.

img_0113.jpg

Edited By Dave Wootton on 20/04/2022 09:11:03

John Haine
            Participant
              @johnhaine32865

img_20200718_174914405_hdr.jpg

This is the business end of one I made for my VMB rather than VME but the same principles would apply. See my album VMB Power Feed for more pics, and somewhere on here there's a fuller explanation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)