Myford VM-E

Advert

Myford VM-E

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Myford VM-E

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tumbletey
    Participant
      @tumbletey

Good afternoon. I have been redirected here  by Myford as they said they couldn’t help me. I have a Myford VM-E. the shaft for the Z axis has been pulled out about 10mm, I’m not sure how, and I’m not sure how to push it back in. The end inside the machine has a worm gear on it so I cannot hammer the shaft back in, the shaft does not go through the gear so I’m not sure how the 2 are held together unless the shaft is threaded?

The machine is in our school workshop and if we can’t repair it we will not be able to afford a replacement.

Anyone one with any experience that could offer some assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Advert
      Dave Wootton
      Participant
        @davewootton

I’m a bit puzzled by your description, I have a VM-E and may be able to help, by shaft for the Z axis do you mean the horizontal shaft that has the handle on it, or the threaded screw that goes vertically into the base? A picture or two may help, I have a very small copy of the manual/parts list which may shed some light on the problem.

One thing is for certain don’t go hammering anything yet!

Edit After giving a little thought and re-reading your post I think you must be referring to the shaft which takes the raising handle, and in this case I would imagine that possibly the nut which holds the worm gear has come undone allowing the shaft to come out.It will only come out a short way as the key which engages with the worm will stop it coming out completely. I have taken a picture which comes from the very sparse and small manual currently sold by Myford for this machine. Of course i may have the wrong end of the stick but it might help. It is not a difficult job to remove the saddle to gain access to the nut to check, you may be able to see it looking up from underneath the knee just to check. If needed i can copy other bits of the manual. The nut is part no 80.IMG_0732

tumbletey
        Participant
          @tumbletey

Thanks Dave. it is the shaft for the raising handle I’m referring to. The back of the worm gear feels flush, does the shaft go right through the worm gear with the nut at the back or is the nut internal? I assume by saddle, you mean the casting on the outside of the machine that the shaft passes through? I cannot open the image you have attached for some reason but have attached a picture taken from below showing the worm gear.20240716_093558

Dave Wootton
          Participant
            @davewootton

Hi The nut looks like it’s designed to be tightened with a C spanner and has a tab washer folded into one of the slots, so unlikely to be loose in this case. Is it simply a case of the dial assembly coming loose? I’m not near my machine at present so can’t have alook at mine. Might be worth removing the handle and dial assembly to investigate, sorry the picture didn’t open the only way to get a readable drawing was to photograph it, the manual really is tiny! Does the knee elevate and lower as it should?

Dave

tumbletey
            Participant
              @tumbletey

It’s all working perfectly well but I’m worried a student has managed to pull it out that far, I can’t risk leaving it as it is. The Worm gear looks like it is in the right position so it has to be the shaft which has moved. I’m now wondering if they have over wound it at its lowest point and unwound the thread from the nut?

Dave Wootton
              Participant
                @davewootton

I have just remembered the whole assembly that carries the shaft is held on to the side of the knee by either 6 allen bolts or 4 bolts and 2 dowel pins. Undoing these will enable the whole casting to be easily removed so you can check it out on the bench. I worked for an importer of these machines for a short while, but this was around 1980 so all a bit hazy now!!! but they are good simple and robust machines. hope this is helpful. I’m out tonight but can have a look around my machine in the morning. From memory removing the shaft is only achievable by removing the nut, wormwheel and key  and taking the shaft out frontwards. I can’t remember how the drive dog that engages with the handle, and also forms the inner part of the dial is removed, i’m sure it has a key but other than that memory fails!

Dave

Lathejack
                Participant
                  @lathejack

These Taiwanese made machines were given a coat of filler to smooth out the castings before painting, and on some examples the filler was also applied over the heads of the recessed cap screws that secure the shafts cast iron housing to the side of the knee.

So if the cap screws can’t be seen they will be there as Dave Wootton says, but you may have to do some digging about to locate them.

They are very nice milling machines.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)