Myford Type M quick change tool post

Advert

Myford Type M quick change tool post

Home Forums Manual machine tools Myford Type M quick change tool post

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Brannan
    Participant
      @danielbrannan48897

hi

i have a myford type M lathe which came with the (I think) original myford quick change tool post which I would really like to use. However when I clamp my tool holders in it, the cutting tips of the inserts sit too high and there is no way of adjusting the height. It seems like a smaller tool holder is required but this confuses me as my tool holders are only 12mm high which doesn’t nearly fill the cut out on the tool post and this makes me wonder if it’s not original. On the other hand it does fit straight onto the cast iron post of the top slide that is normally used for the Norman tool post, which makes me think it is original.

Has anyone used a quick change on these and does anyone know what size tool holders this tool post was designed to use? Thus far I’ve been having to use the normal tool post which is more time consuming for tool changes and alignment.

Thanks!

Dan

Advert
      peak4
      Participant
        @peak4

Not sure of the exact centre height above the top slide of your M type, but a similar problem exists with an ML7 or Super 7
        12mm tools are just too thick, so I either use 10mm or have milled/ground a couple of mm off the bottom of my 12x12mm holders
        If using HSS bar, I tend to go for 8 or 10mm blanks, or smaller, with a home made tangential toolholder, which works very well.

Bill

Daniel Brannan
        Participant
          @danielbrannan48897

Thanks for your reply. In that case I’ll do as you suggest and modify them. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something fundamental

regards

Dan

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

Yes ! I had to cut or grind the bottom of tools to get the tool height down to centre height on my S7 with the 4way tool post. Noel.

Harry Wilkes
            Participant
              @harrywilkes58467

I have a S7 which when I purchased it came with a Dixon QTP in which I use 10mm tooling without measuring the tool holders maybe 12mm may fit, will check next tie I’m in the shop.

H

Jss
              Participant
                @jss

As far as I know this is the only tool holder and top slide that were supplied with the Drummond and Myford M type lathes, unless I’m mistaken.

IMG_0126

The tool holder will accept half inch tools and there is ample vertical adjustment to get the tool to centre height. The pinch bolt on mine is not the original one, I managed to shear that sometime ago by over enthusiastic tightening.

John.

Daniel Brannan
                Participant
                  @danielbrannan48897

According to the lathe bible they did make one and it looks identical to mine

http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummondaccessories/

Jss
                  Participant
                    @jss

Hmm, I did say I could be mistaken!

John.

peak4
                    Participant
                      @peak4

Ah, but many folk would think of the one on that page as a 4 way, rather than a quick change

image_2024-02-05_183718171

I was, wrongly, guessing you meant a Dickson style
                      image_2024-02-05_184006369
                      Same issue though, toolbit is just too tall to allow the top of it to drop to centre height.
                      If however, the need a very long overhang from the toolpost for access reasons on a tricky setup, the greater size slot in the toolpost allows the use of a thicker tool, just with the end ground down.

Bill

Daniel Brannan
                      Participant
                        @danielbrannan48897

Ah yes my mistake. I didn’t mean quick change did I. Anything which isn’t undoing the clamp bolts, inserting the new tool, tightening the bolts and then undoing the pinch bolt and setting the vertical alignment is quick change to me!

peak4
                        Participant
                          @peak4
                          On Daniel Brannan Said:

Ah yes my mistake. I didn’t mean quick change did I. Anything which isn’t undoing the clamp bolts, inserting the new tool, tightening the bolts and then undoing the pinch bolt and setting the vertical alignment is quick change to me!

The other alternative, is to make more holders similar to the one above in Johns post.
                          Keep one for each tool, but add a third vertical grub screw all the way through, which sets the height.
                          If you were canny about it, you could even have a plain section on the lower end to engage in a small hole in the topslide, which would allow exact relocation as well as height
                          There’s a couple of my efforts in this post, along with a dodge to allow 1/2″ tooling in one.

Myford Super7 toolpost/modification for 12-mm/1/2-inch tooling

Bill

David George 1
                          Participant
                            @davidgeorge1

This is my M Type lathe toolpost. I have a Dixon type ho.der from Myford but I have had to remove the original post and tap a hole to hold down the toolpost and locate it.

20221226_131625

20221226_131515

20221226_131653

David

Daniel Brannan
                            Participant
                              @danielbrannan48897

Quick update – milled 2mm off the bottom of the tools and they now fit perfectly. Thanks everyone. this should save me time and sanity

However it does still make me wonder what tool height the post was designed for given 10mm seems to be the magic number and the type M is imperial. 25/64 is 9.92mm?

Dan

Diogenes
                              Participant
                                @diogenes

3/8″ was a very common standard tool shank size, but 5/16 would have been considered perfectly adequate back in the day and was probably more commonly used in lathes of this kind of size..

..the current trend for ‘filling your holder’ seems only to have become a ‘thing’ since the invention of Youtube…

Edit; ..or maybe the Lantern toolpost..

Howard Lewis
                                Participant
                                  @howardlewis46836

Given the age of the M type, would be very surprised to find anything Metric. My expectation would be that all dimensions and theads would be Imperial.

Bazyle
                                  Participant
                                    @bazyle

When the M-type and later Myfords were designed hobbyists could not afford new fangled HSS unless the ‘acquired’ it from work. And that would be a 1/4″ end which was and still is perfectly large enough for these lathes. You will find on ebay tool holders for industrial lathes, that were indeed designed for 1inch carbon steel bits, designed to hold short pieces of this exotic new material.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)