Myford Type M lead screw nut

Advert

Myford Type M lead screw nut

Home Forums Manual machine tools Myford Type M lead screw nut

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Brannan
    Participant
      @danielbrannan48897

hi

It’s me again, I was going to start rambling on about this on my other post but thought I should start a separate one for posterity and sanity.

I was giving my Myford Type M a good clean tonight and it’s looking like the lead screw half nut is well on its way so I want to have a solution ready to address this ready for when it dies and leaves me without a lathe. The thread as you know is part of a monstrous bronze casting that sits under the apron. I’m sure back in the day this whole unit was considered a consumable however fast forward 70 years and Myford don’t make them anymore and bronze costs a fortune. Therefore, how have others approached this issue? Options for my money are:

– machine out the dead threads then solder? a bronze liner into place (a previously prepared internally square threaded tube chopped in half). This might be a good solution as I could make up enough chopped threaded halves that I can replace when necessary – should see me out! Machining the threads out could be easier said than done though.

– attempt to weld up the old threads to put the metal back and then somehow machine the square threads back into the casting.

– find if someone makes one to buy. I already know the answer to this

– attempt to cast my own (might be a bit far fetched)

Any input appreciated

thanks

Dan

Advert
      David George 1
      Participant
        @davidgeorge1

hI i may have a spare in a while as I have had some cast and have two in progress one is spoken for.

20231112_101602

20240204_104011

David

David George 1
        Participant
          @davidgeorge1

Have a look at this video.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/sSBRzynsqLo/edit

Drop me a message if you are interested.

David

Daniel Brannan
          Participant
            @danielbrannan48897

This is amazing. Have messaged you

Diogenes
            Participant
              @diogenes

Maybe one of the mods. could edit the “studio.” bit out of the link? ..works okay then..

..you make it look easy, David..

David George 1
              Participant
                @davidgeorge1

sorry about link. try this one.

There are also a few other interesting video’s on my youtube pages like making new spindle bearings, adjusting the spindle bearings etc.

David

Daniel Brannan
                Participant
                  @danielbrannan48897

I’ve actually got part of the conrod machining attachment for these lathes which I know used a between centres boring setup like that. Never done it myself though.

Looks great!

old mart
                  Participant
                    @oldmart

I needed to make a new nut for the museum’s Smart & Brown model A which is 1×6 ACME and the nut which is only clamping one side of the leadscrew was part of a large sliding bronze block. There is a stationary follower opposite the nut which runs against the flat top of the leadscrew. The threads were poorly, but there was still some of the flat ACME bore left. The block was clamped to a faceplate against a turned arbor in the tailstock of the same diameter as the thread flats in the nut which provided fairly accurate alignment. The threads were bored out of the nut to about 1 1/4″ diameter. Prior to this, I had used the lathe to produce a leaded gunmetal nut longer than the original of 1 1/4″ OD. There was room for a longer nut so the new one is about 1/2″ longer. The new nut was cut lengthways into two parts each subtending about 140 degrees. The new nut was soft soldered into the block and telescopic leadscrew protectors were fitted at the same time. The leadscrew and nut stay perfectly clean and oiled so I sold the spare half nut inlay on ebay and got the cost of the bronze back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)