Myford Toolmex 4 jaw

Advert

Myford Toolmex 4 jaw

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Myford Toolmex 4 jaw

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Foden
    Participant
      @michaelfoden39595

Just bought a Toolmex independent 4 jaw from Myford. I was tempted to go for the HBM chuck from RDG tools. But decided on Myford even though it was double the price of the HBM.

I have owned & used many chucks over the past 25 yrs.- 3 jaw S.C. 4 jaw S.C. and a 4 jaw independent which I sold many years ago.

The chuck runs fine on the ML10, but I have so far spent almost 3 hours trying to move the jaws. They are gradually becoming easier after much filing of the jaw ways & the jaws themselves. But then I have to reverse them & bed them in again.

I can't recall these problems with my previous 4 jaw independent.

I know that Myford is famous for working to close tolerances, but is this normal ?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Mike.

P.S.  I did post this under workshop tools & tooling, but it seems to have migrated of its own accord.

Edited By Michael Foden on 30/11/2012 20:10:29

Advert
      Michael Foden
      Participant
        @michaelfoden39595
        Tony Pratt 1
        Participant
          @tonypratt1

Hi Michael, Myford was actually brought by RDG tools last year after they went out of business? As far as I know Myford never actually made lathe chucks but I may be wrong. I thought Toolmex and HBM were actually eastern imports but the Toolmex site is saying it is a US company but I doubt if the chucks are made in America but I stand to be corrected. It's a pity you are having shall we say file to fit but that is par for the course on a lot of tools these days.

Tony

KWIL
          Participant
            @kwil

Toolmex used to sell Polish and Czech made chucks and they were very good. Toolmex UK went under and I doubt, as Tony does that the present organisation is as good at sourcing. Personally I would buy TOS brand for the smaller sizes, for me I have not had any questions about them.

I think I would have sent it back if the jaws were that tight as filing/grinding just to free up the jaws is something not to be contemplated.

Incidently I have a Ind. 4Jaw Myford Branded Toolmex and it is a sweet as you could wish for.

Edited By KWIL on 30/11/2012 22:56:30

Raymond Anderson
            Participant
              @raymondanderson34407

The Toolmex in the UK used to be ToolmexPolmach ,they were main agents for Bison Bail chucks.

I have both 3 jaw SC and 4 jaw independant Bison's for my GH750 and they are great chucks. I did have a HBM when just starting , absolute crap, needless to say it ended up in the only place that suited it "a skip".

Regards,

Raymond.

JasonB
                @jasonb

I wonder if there are different qualities of Toolmex chucks. You say it was double the HBM price which would make it approx £180 yet 100mm Toolmex 4 jaws from the likes of Rotagrip and MSC/J&L come out at £300-£350. and that is for recess mount, I would expect to pay more for a threaded body.

The other thing to watch now is that some of the chucks have a badge that looks a lot like the Bison/toolmex one, the sharp brand is one of these

J

Edited By JasonB on 01/12/2012 07:34:39

MadMike
                Participant
                  @madmike

Michael, you say that you have just bought the new chuck from Myford. Why on earth are you filing and messing about with the thing? Treat it as you would a new washing machine…….if it doesn't work send it back. Get Myford to change it or give you a refund. I bet your wife wouldn't let you attack her new washing machine or dishwasher if it didn't work.

I bought some stuff from Myford a couple of months ago and they were only too pleased to change it when I complained. They have no interest in selling inferior parts, but like everybody these days they do not do a functionaity test on every chuck delivered.

HTH.

Terryd
                  Participant
                    @terryd72465

Jusat to say a couple of my chucks are HBM and the three jaw is one of the most accurate chucks I have used, including my Burnerd ones. How long they will perform I don't yet know but I am impressed so far.

I also agree with the remarks about sending the faulty chuck back. It obviously was not 'fit for purpose'. However, now you have filed it, that route may not be possible.

Regards

T

NJH
                    Participant
                      @njh

Michael

I guess this isn't going to help you now but might be of use to other readers. In your situation, I would first have looked for a second hand 4-jaw independant for my Myford. Generally these chucks are not not that much used and the concentricity and wear  problems that occur with S/H self centering chucks do not apply. A 'phone call to some S /H tool dealers or, indeed, a search on that well known auction site will turn up a few. ( There are some on there now)

Cheers

Norman

Edited By NJH on 01/12/2012 10:48:32

Michael Foden
                      Participant
                        @michaelfoden39595

Thanks to all for replies. I did contemplate returning it, but it was not boxed & I was unsure about safe packaging.

I understand it came from the Myford stores, but was dispatched by RDG ( Myford being their sister company ). Incidentally it is Polish & has threaded body, so is only 42mm thick. However the HBM chuck, although slightly larger, has same specs.

Mike.

Chris123
                        Participant
                          @chris123

Yes, I believe RDG bought them.

The Myford business is next to RDG on the same industrial estate.

KWIL
                          Participant
                            @kwil

I have the same Toolmex 4 jaw and it has always been spot on and smooth working.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)