Myford Oiling – Wanner 300-1

Advert

Myford Oiling – Wanner 300-1

Home Forums Beginners questions Myford Oiling – Wanner 300-1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stirring Moose
    Participant
      @stirringmoose

Have just acquired a second hand ML7 which I am in the process of getting up and running. One thing I am missing is the oil gun. I have seen for sale on the 'Bay a Wanner 300-1 grease/oil gun which is advertised as being suitable for a Myford lathe. I have seen someone on another thread on here refer to using a 300-1 on a Myford with good results. While all therefore looks positive, my question to those who know more than me about such things (i.e. most people at this stage) is; are there any potential pratfalls I might be overlooking?

S.M.

Advert
      Stirring Moose
      Participant
        @stirringmoose
        Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt
          Posted by Stirring Moose on 24/09/2017 19:33:53:

Have just acquired a second hand ML7 which I am in the process of getting up and running. One thing I am missing is the oil gun.

Be thankful for small mercies. The previous owner probably threw it under a train or down a coalmine.

They changed to the Wanner ones about 15-20 years ago and tey are supposed to work OK.

Rumour has it that the original ones were really grease guns.

Neil

Ian Skeldon 2
          Participant
            @ianskeldon2

I have just become the owner of a ML7 that has not been used for a few years, thankfully the machine was laid up nicely as the previous owner knew he wouldn't be using it again. I have been using a syringe with a blunt filtered needle on it to get oil into the nipples, that works well and isn't expensive, something like this **LINK**

Stirring Moose
            Participant
              @stirringmoose

Thanks guys. Some interesting info. Will keep an eye on the Wanner gun on eBay and might take a punt if the money doesn't get silly. Failing that, the idea about adapting a syringe could have possibilities as I think I might have something similar already lurking somewhere. Time to head for the box marked "crap that'll be useful one day"!

S.M.

Simon Collier
              Participant
                @simoncollier74340

I adapted a cheap oil can by fitting an o-ring the correct size to seal over My Ml-7's oil nipples just inside a fitting silver soldered to the pipe. You need only to grind up a little internal grooving tool to make the o-ring groove. As the oil nipples aren't very long, there is only a sliver of metal outside of the o-ring holding it. It works perfectly.myford oil can.jpg

Nigel McBurney 1
                Participant
                  @nigelmcburney1

My Myford oil gun finally gave up after 43 three years use,it was also used on my Elliot turret mill for 25 years so I have no complaints,acquired an ancient larger Tecalamit grease gun cleaned it out ,made an oil type nozzle which incorporates an O ring,works ok ,

Jon Gibbs
                  Participant
                    @jongibbs59756

My old ML7 has the flat oilers and a traditional rigid oil can spout (Cheap Faithfull) held flat over the balls can achieve an adequate seal for me.

I used to have to use a bit of open-weave cotton rag between the spout and the ball but my technique's improved a bit since the early days. I still have to use this method on the mill which has similar oilers and is supposed to use ISO-68 which is a lot thicker than ISO-32 for the lathe.

HTH

Jon

JohnF
                    Participant
                      @johnf59703

Hi SM have a look at this link I bought one of these and its far better than the mega expensive one I purchased from Myford a goo number of years ago. This one is from Press parts, comes with 2 nozzles one ideal for the Myford nipples and mine at lease does not leak !
                      **LINK**

Harry Wilkes
                      Participant
                        @harrywilkes58467

When I acquired my S7 it can without a oil gun I purchased an alternative to the Wanner gun and found it totally useless I then got a Wanner off ebay and it works fine but I will admit on a couple of nipples I find a piece of kitchen roll helps make a better seal.

H

Stirring Moose
                        Participant
                          @stirringmoose

Right, update on progress. Er, there hasn't been any; I lost the auction for the Wanner. Next step will be to try to locate and adapt one of the syringes I'm fairly sure I have in stock. If that fails, John F's suggestion looks like it might have possibilities – thanks for that John.

S.M.

Alan Johnson 7
                          Participant
                            @alanjohnson7

See Barry Forrest's design in MEW July 2011, Issue 178, Page 48 "An Oiler for the Myford Lathe." I made one, and it works very well.

Ian S C
                            Participant
                              @iansc

Stewart Hart has A item in ME 4566, This is an Eagle Type Oil Can, looks like it could be a good one.

Ian S C

Stirring Moose
                              Participant
                                @stirringmoose

Further Update: The syringe method didn't work. Plenty of colour and movement, and did technically oil the lathe… just not the bits I was aiming for! Then tried my luck with the oilers for the headstock. Got one filled quite satisfactorily, only for it to deposit its contents in short order all over the outside of the bearing housing as well as the inside. Thus the sum total product of my Myford-ing so far is an oily mess. Still, I didn't get where I am today (wherever that may be…) by giving in. I have followed John F's suggestion and bought a Press Parts oil gun which I hope will arrive tomorrow. In the mean time, I will attempt to impose some order on the headstock oilers.

S.M.

Stirring Moose
                                Participant
                                  @stirringmoose

Have now received and tested the Press Parts gun. Took a bit of fiddling and had to deploy the "paper towel over the oil nipple" trick in places but, in the end, we have a winner!

S.M.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)