Myford ML7 Main Drivebelt guard

Advert

Myford ML7 Main Drivebelt guard

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Myford ML7 Main Drivebelt guard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bluetrainbentley
    Participant
      @bluetrainbentley

Does anyone have an early ML7 with the full belt guard. I took it off a lathe and then suffered a heart attack, not connected to the lathe.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly how it goes back on. The is the guard that covers the belt from the motor to the countershaft.

A lathe I have access to has the later version of the guard with the flat plate screwed to the outer cover.

The Myford manuals I’ve seen all feature the later flat plate

Any electronic photos folk have would be gratefully received.

Advert
      Grizzly bear
      Participant
        @grizzlybear

Hi,

This is just for starters.

Myford ML7 Lathe Photo Essay (lathes.co.uk)

Good luck…..

Diogenes
        Participant
          @diogenes

Where are the holes located in the early belt guard ? – I’m sure many of us here have never seen one.

Is the countershaft bracket different?

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

Looking on Lathes.co.uk ,the early ML7 catalogue seems to show two different guards but not very clearly.

bluetrainbentley
            Participant
              @bluetrainbentley

I’ve looked on Lathes.uk with no look.

Here are some photos of the lathe.IMG_1963 LargeIMG_1964 LargeIMG_1965 LargeIMG_1966 LargeIMG_1967 LargeIMG_1971 LargeIMG_1973 Large

Hopper
              Participant
                @hopper

Looks to me like a pair of bolts, probably about 1/4″ , would go through those two slots in the inner cover and secure it to the two matching bolt holes on the side of the countershaft frame. Possibly they are long bolts, or there are spacers that they screw into to hold the cover away from the countershaft frame. Or long studs with nuts either end.

There is also a long stud that goes into that lug on the bottom of the outer cover to the countershaft frame, on the later models,which you may have the same. And it looks like some kind of three tricky fasteners that screw into the outer cover and engage with the three half-round cutouts on the inner cover.

I would mount the motor in position on its platform, and mount the countershaft in position on its swinging H frame and then hold the inner cover up into position and look for what lines up with those two mounting slots in the inner cover. Should be more obvious what goes where when you have all those other bits in place to locate it.

bernard towers
                Participant
                  @bernardtowers37738

The holes in the belt guard look as if they attach to the countershaft bracket but from the photos would need spacers.

Diogenes
                  Participant
                    @diogenes

Yes, I agree with the above

The later models use a longish stud that fits in the cast-in lug just below the countershaft pivot on the L/H of the C/shaft bracket – it fits into a hole about halfway along the top edge of the outer cover, secured with a nut and washer each side.

The tab on the bottom of the outer cover receives a screw that secures it to the lower of the two (manufacturers) 1/4 ww threaded holes in the lower part of the c/s bracket – the other secures the strap for the motor plate.

The inner must fit onto studs & spacers in the middle of the c/s bracket.

I can see why Myford discontinued this setup, but very interesting to see one.

bluetrainbentley
                    Participant
                      @bluetrainbentley

Thanks for your input guys.

There is a threaded hole in the countershaft swing pin that takes a 1/4BSF stud. This is used for the top mounting slot. The lower slot is fixed to the fixed motor/countershaft bracket. Spacers are required to let the cover backplate stand off a bit.

Thanks again guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)