Myford Lathe service

Advert

Myford Lathe service

Home Forums General Questions Myford Lathe service

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    John Roscow
    Participant
      @johnroscow77993

Das and Peter serviced my super 7 this week and did a first class job leaving me with a lathe In a condition as good as it gets. They also provided me with a wealth of information on the history and current condition of my lathe which was an eye opener! (did not realise I had the hardened bed model; I saw the original scraping marks still ther on the headstock bearing after all these years!). This combined with the sad story of the reason for the demise of myford filled in so many gaps in my knowledge. Plenty of cups of tea-and I treated them to bacon but ties at lunch made the day go well. Rare services like this need to be supported and would commend them to anyone with a myford lathe in need of talc.

john

Advert
      mike mcdermid
      Participant
        @mikemcdermid41977

How do you get in touch with these guys

I sent an email but never got a reply?

TrevorK
        Participant
          @trevork

Mike

Have you seen the earlier posts in this thread? Look at 1/3/2012 posts, there's a mobile no. there.

Trev

John Roscow
          Participant
            @johnroscow77993

Try Daz46@ hotmail.co.uk with the capital D. Mobile 07790364189.

John

mike mcdermid
            Participant
              @mikemcdermid41977

Ah Thanks chaps

I will try Daz with a capital D Tried phoning no luck

chris j
              Participant
                @chrisj

I just had my Super 7 serviced.

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot too.

I did mention this thread and the mystery surrounding the cost and they are happy for me to reveal that they charge £350 plus petrol, some parts, belts etc are included. Notts to Great Yarmouth cost me £70.

I was pleased with the service.

Mike Crossfield
                Participant
                  @mikecrossfield92481

It's probably worth mentioning my own experience.

The spindle on my 50 year old Super 7 was worn, and the bronze bearing was oval to the tune of about a thou. I managed to buy a new spindle at a very good price, but lacked the skill to scrape the bearing in to suit. I contacted Daz, and since I am a long way from Nottingham we agreed that I would ship the headstock and spindle to him for the work to be done. The job was turned around in a week, and I am delighted with the result. The cost, excluding shipping charges, was £100.

Mike

Joseph Ramon
                  Participant
                    @josephramon28170

> ties at lunch made the day go well.

So it was a formal dinner…

Joey

The Joker
                    Participant
                      @thejoker

Yesterday I had my 1975 Myford Super 7 serviced by Darren and Pete and the machine is now as sweet as a nut.

The previous owner had had the bed skimed and changed the headstock bearings, however they hadn't set it all back up 100%, although they had done a good job.

The only issue found on the lathe was a worn tail stock barrel when out more than 20mm which was causing the machine to cut a taper despite everything been lined up well within Myford tolerances.

Darren and Pete were at my house for a good 8 hours, but this could have been cut down to 6 as Darren does like to a good chat about the good old days at Myford.

The e-mail address above is wrong, which is why some may not be getting a reply (Daz.46@hotmail.co.uk), number is correct – 07790 364189

The whole service and wealth of knowledge they have passed on cost a mere £330.00 including mileage.

Geoffrey Mowatt
                      Participant
                        @geoffreymowatt36533

I'm going to get my ML7R serviced early in the New Year as soon as it has made its way to the new shed. I'm on the coast of Mid Wales if anyone nearby wants to get the same done and see if we can share the travel costs please get in touch via this forum.

Curtis Rutter
                        Participant
                          @curtisrutter61973

Does anyone know if Darren & Pete still offer this service? If they do anybody in East Hertfordshire want to group together to minimise travelling costs?

Curtis Rutter
                          Participant
                            @curtisrutter61973

It would appear not, the mobile number doesn't work and have had no email reply :/

Emgee
                            Participant
                              @emgee
                              Posted by Richard Brake on 14/03/2012 19:07:47:

I'm in Guilford, Surrey and am considering getting my Super 7 serviced. If anyone is in a similiar position near me please give me a pm and see if we can share the travelling costs.

Richard

Edited By Richard Brake on 14/03/2012 19:08:14..

Hi Richard

As you are a similar distance from Notts as Yarmouth it would seem from others stating 8 hours for 2 men on site to carry out the servicing of 1 lathe, to do the same service on 2 lathes at different addresses will mean an overnight accomodation for 2 charge will need to be added to any other charges, unless the engineers are prepared to work a 16 hour day. This could well make sharing travel expenses a more expensive package.

Emgee

Curtis Rutter
                              Participant
                                @curtisrutter61973

Have just had a reply, still offering the service albeit on a Saturday only, now to find a free Saturday :/

Curtis Rutter
                                Participant
                                  @curtisrutter61973

Well just had Darren & Pete service my ML7. Considering I got the lathe for a bargain they was both very surprised at it's near immaculate condition with little or no wear and all the original parts in place. The guys were great help in explaining some of the features on the lathe being that I'm a newbie, and we're a good laugh. The Lathes all running accurately and smoothly. Now the fun/struggles can begin (once my lathe tools arrives soon)

Benjamin Day
                                  Participant
                                    @benjaminday94198

Curtis rutter
                                    Im in Hertfordshire, i dont think i can afford the service for my lathe, but would pay the travel costs for you if i could be a fly on the wall when you get yours done? Just seeing how they work would be valuable to me

Benjamin Day
                                    Participant
                                      @benjaminday94198

Sorry just seen that i was waaay to lathe

ron vale 3
                                      Participant
                                        @ronvale3

If anyone is in the Reading/Bracknell, and is thinking about this, i would double up to keep travelling costs down,

Not in a mad rush so could fit in datewise

ron vale 3
                                        Participant
                                          @ronvale3

Just a heads up Had a reply from Darren £300 plus fuel (and parts if needed ) i added the last bit

Got the OK to go ahead. AND it isnt my birthday

ron vale 3
                                          Participant
                                            @ronvale3

Well Darren and Peter visited and spent 5hrs looking over the S7. Was very honest about it, esp the slightly bent toolpost slide thread screw, that wasnt worth spending money on to replace as the 'tightness' was at the far end of the travel.

all the inbuilt 'wear' of which there wasnt much wa eliminated nas it is a joy to use again

And worth every penny, considering their day must have been about 111-12hrs including travel.

Well and worthily recommended

paul coombs
                                            Participant
                                              @paulcoombs24988

Not been around here a while,as my myford is basically unuseable.its way out of spec,although seems to run ok.It badly needs a decent set up.my attempts,hsvent made much inroads.plus i dont have time with various work projects Its more economical to me to pay for it to be done

With that in mind,i mailed Darren about 2 years ago eventually he responed,,and told me that he would get back to me,when hes going to be in area .I badgered him every few months,eventually this week he told me that his partner didnt fancy the journey to essex No problem and i respect his decision,it was nice of him to tell me.even tbough i offered at least 25%more than his standard rates

Anyway im stil without a fully functioning lathe if anyone is selling a fully serviced,plug and go myford,drop me a line

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)