Myford dividing head body casting material

Advert

Myford dividing head body casting material

Home Forums Manual machine tools Myford dividing head body casting material

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Hopper
    Participant
      @hopper

Anyhoo, got to the end of the Evaporust treatment today and all is good. The main spindle came up beautiful, ditto the index plate, the vertical slide table and all other bits. Very impressed. A light wire brushing (hand, not wheel) and it looks good. There is some etching visible on the overarm but the rust is gone and the parent metal preserved so functionally it will be all good, sitting on the original OD. If I had emery clothed it down in the lathe, the bar would have come down to the diamter of the bottoms of the pits. This way the original OD is preserved.

Compare and contrast that last image with this "before" shot:

Pretty much says it all. Very pleased with that result. Very pleased indeed.

Now for the part of restoration I enjoy the least: painting. In 32C with 85pc humidity it can be a real challenge, as I am sure it is for you guys in mid-winter. Paint will sit there and just look at you and refuse to dry for day after day after day. But I have my secret weapon now: air conditioning in the shed which knocks humidity down to a sensible, paint-drying 50pc. I have some leftover grey machinery paint from when I did the ML7 so will brush a bit of that on all these fiddly bits. Should dress it up nicely to match the shiny new metal finish.

Onward through the fog!

PS: ONe thing I did learn is that as you use the Evaporust overnight etc, it turns black from the particles of converted (or whatever) rust floating around in it. This tends to leave black stains on the pristine new surface of the job. particularly around the waterline on partly submerged parts. They can be removed with a wire brush, but much easier to wash down with fresh Evaporust and it gets rid of it. A final brush down with fresh Evaporust gives a nice final finish, a matt surface that brightens up with a quick manual wire brushing. Very nice. I used about three quarters of my 1 litre of Evaporust on this job. For anything thing bigger I would buy the 5 litre pack and use it in a lidded container to stop evaporation.

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:35:40

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:41:09

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:42:03

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:42:23

Advert
      John Haine
      Participant
        @johnhaine32865

Well I think you got yourself a bargain there Hopper!

Hopper
        Participant
          @hopper
          Posted by John Haine on 22/01/2023 11:10:31:

Well I think you got yourself a bargain there Hopper!

Geez, I reckon, hey. Will come up looking like a million bucks with a lick of paint. I could, if I wanted, sell the vertical slide for more than I paid for the whole lot. Free dividing head. Very pleased with that.

Dave Wootton
          Participant
            @davewootton

Really pleased this has worked out well, nice when someone gets a useful bargain, has cleaned up remarkably well.

I was a bit unsure about the Evaporust when first using it, but found pretty much the same as you that some neat solution would remove the black from the pits. As mentioned in previous post my mate who restores vintage cars swears by it, and some of the bits he restores to usefulness from rusty lumps astonish me.

Look forward to seeing the finished article, I hate painting too!

Dave

Hopper
            Participant
              @hopper

Thanks Dave. Yes it has worked out well, for a change. Busy with the Harton Snortster project but imagine I will get time to dab some paint on on the dividing head etc this week.

Bountyboy
              Participant
                @bountyboy

It’s up to £112 now and there’s still 3 days to go!

Hopper
                Participant
                  @hopper
                  Posted by Bountyboy on 22/01/2023 12:56:33:

It’s up to £112 now and there’s still 3 days to go!

Well, I am already ahead of the game then! By 12 Quid and a vertical slide. Will be interesting to see if there are any "snipes" in the final minute or two. Can make a huge difference if there are two or three of them competing.

Hopper
                  Participant
                    @hopper

A little more progress today with painting all the little bits and pieces. Did it with some leftover machinery paint from when I did the lathe, applied with a small artists brush. Less faff than masking up and spraying and quite therapeutic to sit and brush paint. Took me back to toy soldier days. It is not quite Myford grey but a shade darker, being RAL 7011. But close enough for bush work. No Paragon paints etc available here and they won't ship it in. At the end of the day, it is a piece of workshop equipment, not a Rolls Royce Phaeton.

Next job is to make the one missing clamping disc from the lower swivel. Just a piece of 2" diameter steel bar sliced about 1/4" thick, faced and two holes drilled in it for the T bolts. I could part it off a bar in the lathe with the fixed steady. I have done it before on the old Drummond but it is never a relaxing job, so will do it the modern way and slice the bar on my cheap Chinese horizontal bandsaw and then face it off in the lathe. Much less stress. Then oil blacken it.

The other thing is I noticed the dividing head spindle will not screw into my four jaw chuck at all and is very tight in the faceplate. Not sure if the Evaporust has left a small layer of residue on the metal and made it tight, or if the spindle nose thread has a slight bruise on it. So some very careful massaging with a wire brush and perhaps a thread file may be called for.

Edited By Hopper on 25/01/2023 07:30:34

Edited By Hopper on 25/01/2023 07:31:50

Bountyboy
                    Participant
                      @bountyboy

Hi Hopper

Dividing head went for £155.01, looks like you got a bargain, happy days

Hopper
                      Participant
                        @hopper
                        Posted by Bountyboy on 25/01/2023 16:47:49:

Hi Hopper

Dividing head went for £155.01, looks like you got a bargain, happy days

Yes I reckon I did quite nicely thank you very much. Still, not a bad deal for the eBay buyer either when you see the prices being asked for some dividing heads in good shape with two index plates. Almost 500 Quid by some dealers. That eBay one included the GH Thomas-style raising block and offset clamping bolt plus the collet and bar so not a bad pile. I wonder if his will be as easy to de-rust as mine was though? I am still amazed at how bad it looked and how well it has come up.

Hopper
                        Participant
                          @hopper

Paint finally dried enough for reassembly. Only took 3 days in the current 85pc humidity. Gotta love the tropics. But it came up looking a million bucks. Chalk and cheese with the original state. One thing I found was that the main spindle where it fits in the bore in the dividing head housing, and where it fits in the chuck register, were both very tight. A light dressing down with very fine emery paper in the lathe was needed to get a neat sliding fit as required. I can only conclude that the Evaporust perhaps leaves a thin layer of some kind of deposit on the parent metal. Maybe half a thou thick or so. The spindle surface that runs inside the dividing head body was shiny before Evaporust immersion, and came out matte, so more likely a deposit of some sort rather than any kind of etching. But, all back together and ready to use in anger. Now I need to get started on that working model Harley engine and the 14 gears in the timing chest it needs.

Edited By Hopper on 28/01/2023 08:21:57

Dave Wootton
                          Participant
                            @davewootton

Excellent work, what a result! never guess it was the same item.

Had to smile about the paint not drying because of the heat and humidity, I spent yesterday touching up the wing of the car where I scratched it getting out of the garage, so cold I had to have a fan heater pointing at the wing to get the paint to dry!

Dave

Hopper
                            Participant
                              @hopper

Thanks Dave, and sorry to hear about the oopsie with your car. I hate it when that happens. (Cost me $400 last time) Painting here is really weird. You can put stuff out in the sun where it gets so hot you can barely hold it with bare hands, but it still takes days for the paint to dry thanks to the high humidity. Even this stuff I ended up putting inside the workshop with the air-conditioner on to knock the humidity down. Then left it over night with no air con but with a fan blowing on it for air movement. Still took days. Small stuff, I have been known to put it in the oven at 150C for an hour or so. Seems to work ok but the paint does not stick to the job as well as when allowing it to dry at slower pace. Ditto hot air gun.

Hopper
                              Participant
                                @hopper

Just to finish the story: got the vertical slide all done and looking good. No sign of wear on the slideways so I am very pleased with it overall. Very pleased.

The fixed steady is a must have for these types of jobs in the small lathe, making the clamping disc out of 2" round bar before oil blacking it:

So overall, for a deal I was not very keen on getting into, it has ended up spectacularly well. Very happy with that indeed.

Edited By Hopper on 02/02/2023 10:49:39

Bountyboy
                                Participant
                                  @bountyboy

We all love a happy ending 😀

well done

Hopper
                                  Participant
                                    @hopper

Thanks Bountyboy. Now I just have to decide whether I want to make the three other indexing plates with their hundreds of holes eadh. I certainly won't be buying new ones at 95 Quid a pop!

Bazyle
                                    Participant
                                      @bazyle

If you have or know someone with a 3D printer there is an opnscad thing on thiniverse to print an index plate with any number of holes and control over diameter and fixing hole position.
                                      The picture shows a test I did for a single circle of 73 holes (prime) and big hole for attaching to a carrier plate to save printing time and filament.
                                      index plate 73.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)