Mounting boring bar in the lathe

Advert

Mounting boring bar in the lathe

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Mounting boring bar in the lathe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mick Bailey
    Participant
      @mickbailey28509

After decades of using old-style square stock boring bars in the lathe I decided to buy a round type with inserts S10K-SCLCR09 as a ‘make weight’ to get an order value over the postage threshold.

I was expecting the flats along the tool to give alignment of the tool tip when mounted in a conventional tool holder but was mistaken – they’re at an angle to the top surface of the tip. What’s the reason for this?

Presumably I need to make or buy a tool holder to mount it in a conventional tool post.

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

The inserts are intended to slope down towards the tip of the insert, this is to ensure the edge of the insert does not rub.

Just clamp it by the flats on the shank

See on the table here where the angles are given, steeper as the minimum hole gets smaller. It also shows you that the cornet of the insert should be what you set to ctr height

Peter Cook 6
        Participant
          @petercook6

Long thread on the same subject here

Mick Bailey
          Participant
            @mickbailey28509

I see. It’s a different approach to the angles ground on my regular boring tools. Good job I asked.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)