Motorcycle General Discussion

Advert

Motorcycle General Discussion

Home Forums Related Hobbies including Vehicle Restoration Motorcycle General Discussion

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 1,139 total)
  • Author
    John Stevenson 1
    Participant
      @johnstevenson1
      Advert
      John Stevenson 1
      Participant
        @johnstevenson1

This post /forum for all general motorcycle related topics as requested.

Don't have time now but I'll add my input to it tonight.

Nick_G
        Participant
          @nick_g

OK I will add to this thread with a question.

I understand how centrifugal force works. But I am informed that when a motorbike is cornering it is centripetal force that keeps the machine and rider (hopefully wink. ) shiney side up.!

I have tried google to understand this but TBH it goes over my head. Can anybody explain to me in dunce type language how centripetal force works.?

Cheers, Nick

KWIL
          Participant
            @kwil

Centrifugal force is the force acting outwards due to circular motion (of bike or any other object). Centripetal force is the tension in the string preventing the stone (or other object) from flying outwards away from centre of rotation.

In the case of the M/C, having the weight of the rider and bike inwards and downwards from the point of contact with the road applies a rotational force opposite to the centrifugal force. Small riders lean further in!

Hopper
            Participant
              @hopper

And when you have done that, explain to us which is better: synthetic oil or dino.laugh

As I understand it, if you swing a ball around on the end of a string, centrifugal force tries to hurl the ball outwards. Centripital force is the string that stops it from going outwards. Which I guess would be the traction of the motorcycle tires. But there is no end (literally) of variations on the theme.

Great idea for a thread by the way. I had thought of raising the possibility before when looking at the aircraft discussion thread. Here is a pic of my latest project (long term, little progress of late times), a Harley WLA engine in a Norton Featherbed frame. Upsets the purists on both sides. devil

HasBean
              Participant
                @hasbean

I was always taught that centrifugal force doesn't actually exist, only centripetal force which is preventing the body from moving in a straight line which it is want to do.

Paul

Oh, and to try to keep on thread 

dscf0047.jpg

(not everyone's cup of tea though I guess…)

Edited By HasBean on 30/10/2015 11:33:34

Nick_G
                Participant
                  @nick_g
                  Posted by HasBean on 30/10/2015 11:23:01:

Oh, and to try to keep on thread

And I will do the same. smiley

I am thinking of getting a bigger bike though. Not because I want to go faster. (Even a Hornet is far quicker and capable than I will ever be.) It's just that bigger bikes are more 'planted' on the road and are easier to ride. Especially if you have some totty on the back.

Taken in Howth, Just south of Dublin.

Nick

michael cole
                  Participant
                    @michaelcole91146

Counter steering, feels weird but it works. ie turn the bars one way and the bike goes the other .

Mike

only got a BMW R100t now.

JA
                    Participant
                      @ja
                      Posted by HasBean on 30/10/2015 11:23:01:

I was always taught that centrifugal force doesn't actually exist, only centripetal force which is preventing the body from moving in a straight line which it is want to do.

Paul

Yes, I was taught that at school along with "every force has an equal and opposite reacting force".

Both exist.

Got four bikes taxed and a failed hip. Very unhappy.

JA

Edited By JA on 30/10/2015 11:55:20

Gordon W
                      Participant
                        @gordonw

Have had loads of bikes, but now age and wife stopped it all. Ps never liked anyone on the back, not moving anyway.

GarryC
                        Participant
                          @garryc

Heck you're going to need a bigger server if we can upload bike pics now as well smile

bike.jpg

Involute Curve
                          Participant
                            @involutecurve

We should have had a thread for this ages ago, real busy at the moment but will try to contribute something relavant later.

Shaun

Nick_G
                            Participant
                              @nick_g

And for all you affectionados of British bikes here is some video of my friends restored Norton.

Nick

Cornish Jack
                              Participant
                                @cornishjack

But what about this?? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34665442 – I thought Honda had one already!!

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 30/10/2015 14:05:15

Nick_G
                                Participant
                                  @nick_g
                                  Posted by Cornish Jack on 30/10/2015 14:04:39:

But what about this?? **LINK** I thought Honda had one already!!

rgds

Bill

Edited By Cornish Jack on 30/10/2015 14:05:15

Well I hope it's better than Hondas latest F1 engine offering. wink

Nick

Edited By Nick_G on 30/10/2015 14:09:12

colin hawes
                                  Participant
                                    @colinhawes85982

I've got a 250 ohv twin BSA Sunbeam scooter (in pieces) which I intend to restore in the future. One problem is likely to be sourcing a new white/grey rubber floor mat. Colin

Neil Wyatt
                                      @neilwyatt

+1 to what Paul says – if a bike unsticks, it goes forwards in a straight line, it doesn't fly outwards.

Neil

OuBallie
                                      Participant
                                        @ouballie

Love that Norton, and the difference between old and new cars/bikes overloaded with computers.

Mention of RC motorcycles, I sold an RC model, of a Honda I think it was, in my shop in the '80s.

Everyone was sceptical, including myself, until that is I built one and tested it.

It worked a treat, with the 'steering' servo tilting the whole body of the bike aft of the front forks.

Here's my contribution, not mine I hasten to add, but it reminded me of my CB350 Twin I bought in 1972.

2015 and still in Ex-factory condition:

Honda 175

License disc says it all:

Honda 175

Even more so the odometer!:

Honda 174

Can confirm what Mike said about counter steering, it's the quickest way to put a 'bike down or get into a corner fast.

It went against the grain until tried, but too much and you are down.

Geoff – 4 wheels for me now, though I miss the feeling of freedom!

Anonymous

Bloody typical, a bike thread is started just as I have had to call it day after 40 odd years of biking crying, knees and back have forced it on me. Can't even face carrying on with my Kettle project and not being able to use it so that's just gone as well. At least I can keep in touch making bits for others as I've done for a few years and seriously consider the unthinkable of getting a scooter for knocking about on, I HATE cars with a passion, won't use the wife's unless I really have to.

jim’
                                          Participant
                                            @jim11037

dsc00332.jpg

Roger Williams 2
                                            Participant
                                              @rogerwilliams2

Did anyone see the Rossi – Marquez saga from Sepang on Sunday !!. I reckon Marquez was asking for it…..

JA
                                              Participant
                                                @ja

Some riders who used Tritons said that counter-steering was required, even if they did not realise it at the time, since the frame was too stiff. Personally I have only ridden one for a few miles.

Counter-steering is worth trying. You won't fall on the floor.

Geoff – I like the little Honda. Like all popular bikes, they were everywhere and then disappeared overnight.

JA

Old Elan
                                                Participant
                                                  @oldelan
                                                  Posted by Roger Williams 2 on 30/10/2015 17:29:41:

Did anyone see the Rossi – Marquez saga from Sepang on Sunday !!. I reckon Marquez was asking for it…..

What knee on what front brake lever?

wink

Another take…

https://www.facebook.com/WBMotors/videos/1087753337936475/

Love the Fazers. This one is mine….

Dorking Erly Nauties to see a Steam Excursion

Raymond Anderson
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raymondanderson34407

What do most of these posts have to do with "model engineering "? Are they all requiring parts made for them ?

or modelled perhaps !! A put put forum might be a better place for this.

Old Elan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @oldelan

The clue could be in the heading……

Yes, the older they get the more bits you have to make.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 1,139 total)