Molesworth”s HandBook

Advert

Molesworth”s HandBook

Home Forums Books Molesworth”s HandBook

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

Engineering Formulæ and Data …

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

I bought this gem of a book at the Charity Shop today

Thirty Fourth Edition, dated 1951

A superb reference book, to complement Machinery's Handbook [etc.]

MichaelG.

Sorry about the subtitle … Forum software can't handle the ae 

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 01/03/2013 18:23:05

Trev T
        Participant
          @trevt

Hi Michael

I have a copy of Molesworth's fascinating little book – Twenty Fourth Edition, dated 1901!

In it is a copy of the preface to the first edition, dated November 1862!!

There are numerous old adverts at the front and back covering all sorts of ancient machinery, even one claiming the 'efficiency and economy' of the 'World-Renowned EDISWAN Incandescent Electric Lamp'…!!! Needless to say, it's leather cover is getting a little dog-eared now!

My copy of Machinery's Handbook is the edition of 1942. It holds a section on the use of a slide rule – when did you last use one of those? Can't think of life without a pocket calculator now ….

My! What progress we have seen over our lifetime! Remarkable ..!

Trevor T

Falco
          Participant
            @falco

Anybody interested in older books on machining and allied disciplines might get some use of these sites. They have a lot of scanned copies of older reference books. Enjoy.

**LINK**

**LINK**

John

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Trev T on 01/03/2013 22:22:59:

Hi Michael

I have a copy of Molesworth's fascinating little book – Twenty Fourth Edition, dated 1901!

In it is a copy of the preface to the first edition, dated November 1862!!

There are numerous old adverts at the front and back covering all sorts of ancient machinery, even one claiming the 'efficiency and economy' of the 'World-Renowned EDISWAN Incandescent Electric Lamp'…!!! Needless to say, it's leather cover is getting a little dog-eared now!

My copy of Machinery's Handbook is the edition of 1942. It holds a section on the use of a slide rule – when did you last use one of those? Can't think of life without a pocket calculator now ….

My! What progress we have seen over our lifetime! Remarkable ..!

Trevor T

Trevor,

Your comment about Slide Rule reminds me …

About 30 years ago, our Daughter wanted a Calculator for use at School.

Beastly Dad insisted that she must explain the working principle of Multiplication and Division on a Slide Rule, before she could have a Calculator !

I don't think she has ever forgiven me.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133
                Deleted double post

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 01/03/2013 22:54:16

MICHAEL WILLIAMS
                Participant
                  @michaelwilliams41215

Hi Michael G ,

About 30 years ago, our Daughter wanted a Calculator for use at School.

Beastly Dad insisted that she must explain the working principle of Multiplication and Division on a Slide Rule, before she could have a Calculator !

Apart from modern electronic calculators it's interesting to think about calculating methods of earlier times :

Fingers .

Counting wheels with or without gearing and more complicated gear devices .

Simple bead frame or more advanced abacus .

Counting stones , tablets and cards with different values for different sizes/shapes .

Counting board with pegs / markers or chalk .

Arrays of stones on the ground .

Counting sticks with notches / knotted strings

Writen arithmetic on paper / backboard / sand / clay .

Mental arithmetic .

Look up tables and Ready Reckoner – calcs tediously done by scholars and then published for general use . Many of these over centuries for simple sums , finance , science , astronomy and engineering . Later logs and trig .

Charts , graphs and nonograms . (Various spellings)

Standing stones (?)

I'm sure that there are many more .

Regards ,

Michael Williams .

Edited By MICHAEL WILLIAMS on 02/03/2013 08:48:50

colin hawes
                  Participant
                    @colinhawes85982

Oh ! how much easier it is to do calcs today. I had to do lots of trig with 7 figure logarithms in my younger days as a toolmaker. Colin

Nigel Bennett
                    Participant
                      @nigelbennett69913

I have a Molesworth's pocket book. Although it does have a lot of useful information, a great deal of it appears to be a bit esoteric. Frankly I got a bit irritated that it never seemed to have the information I really wanted! I'm not sure there isn't a section of formulae for working out how to taper wallpaper to do the inside of a lighthouse…

Sub Mandrel
                      Participant
                        @submandrel

Michael, we should add Napier's Bones to your list.

My daughter asks "Why should I learn long division? When am I ever going to be without a calculator?"

Asiode from suggesting she watches Flight of the Pheonix, I struggle to give a truly convincing answer.

Neil

mechman48
                        Participant
                          @mechman48

For my ref needs I have:

Machiner'ys Handbook 15th edition-1956

Newnes Mechanical Engineers pocketbook 1990 ed.

Zeus databook metric edition.

Workshop Practice editions # 2-3-15-20-22-35-49

The Compact Lathe by stan Bray

Model Egineers Handbook (2nd ed.) by Tubal Cain, a superb ref. book I might add,

Assortment of manufacturers freebies e.g. Presto/Dormer(usual disclaimer) drilling & milling ref pocketbook etc,etc.

Various ref notes from my days as a Mech.Eng. Instructor in a training establishment, so I reckon I am pretty well covered for information, & yet I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge shown by members of MEW forums, a lot of it had me thinking back many many years & saying to myself 'I'd forgotton about that, many times I have thought 'why didn't I think of that! when I have usually 'overthought & overengineered 'simple stuff, to the point of not doing productive stuff.

I must offer my thanks to all members for reminding /refreshing my old grey matter now that I am retired & have a little more time to concentrate on Model Eng. long may it continue.

Regards

George.

Anonymous

Well, there's a disappointment, I was hoping for words of wisdom from that grate centre of learning, St Custard's. What a chiz.

Andrew

MICHAEL WILLIAMS
                            Participant
                              @michaelwilliams41215

The Compleet Molesworth and the other books in the series probably contain more interesting and useful information than most of the books written by expert model engineers and are certainly well worth a read .

I wonder if he mentions injectors anywhere ???

MikeW

Chris Gunn
                              Participant
                                @chrisgunn36534

Falco, thanks for those links, started downloading to my Kindle already, isnt technology wonderful!!

Chris Gunn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)