Modifying multifix tool holders

Advert

Modifying multifix tool holders

Home Forums Manual machine tools Modifying multifix tool holders

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dave Sawdon 1
    Participant
      @davesawdon1

I’ve got an A size original multifix tool post and holders from a previous lathe which are one size too large for my 254S. Having just taken some measurements, it seems I could use it if I reduced the bottom of the tool holders from 9 mm to 6mm. I presume the steel will be hardened so it would need grinding.

This seems a bit radical, and suspect that it’s better to sell the A size and buy new, but wondered whether any else has taken the same step.

Advert
      Graham Meek
      Participant
        @grahammeek88282

Having read your earlier post and having many years experience of the Multifix tool system. I would not entertain trying to modify the toolholders. From memory these are case hardened steel. Removal of 3 mm of material from the tool slot will leave a soft clamping area for the tooling.

Removal of this amount of material from the base of each toolholder, such as to retain the versatility of the system does not come without problems.

You may find the removal of this material distorts the ground mounting face which may affect the repeatability. For my part I would sell this item and obtain something more suitable. Or use smaller tooling.

When I had my own 254, Myford supplied it with a fitted Dickson system.

Regards

Gray,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)