Model Engineering Courses

Advert

Model Engineering Courses

Home Forums Model engineering club news Model Engineering Courses

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt
      Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

Please use this thread to post information about Model Engineering Courses (dates, locations, contact details fees etc.)

In order to make it easy for people to find information on courses, please don't clog up this topic with discussion on the pros and cons of courses any postings doing this may be moved or deleted.

Thanks,

Neil

Mike Millar
        Participant
          @mikemillar67129

Thanks Neil. To repeat my original post, Northbrook College, Worthing, runs an Engineering Open Access evening class **LINK** starting Tuesday 7th October for 30 weeks. The cost is £345, not cheap, but there is access to a wide variety of medium to heavy engineering equipment including Harrison, Colchester and bigger lathes, several Bridgeports, an Ajax and other mills, surface and cylindrical grinding equipment, a grit blasting cabinet (great for motor cycle restorers!), a digital electric furnace for precision heat treating etc. The course fee includes materials of which there is a large stock, and there is a variety of large indexable industrial cutters, mills etc for heavy metal removal, which would individually cost hundreds of pounds to buy. There is also a large collection of precision measuring equipment.

The course is run by a highly experienced tutor and there are other experts around for advice. It is suitable for anyone from a beginner wanting to learn workshop practices to experienced engineers who need access to equipment. At present the 2014-15 year is one short of the minimum number of course members to run. Anyone interested within reach of Worthing will be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt
            Ted Fletcher tells me that the Scarborough course urgently needs a few more faces if it is to run this year. Tweed jackets optional but gentlemanly behaviour is appreciated
            The details are:
            Scarborough and district Model Engineering group, who are based at Yorkshire Coast College has concluded yet another successful year. We hire the workshop for 20, two hour evenings sessions, 10 before Christmas and 10 in the New Year and share the total cost. During session 2013/14 members have been busy working making special parts for off road cars, locomotives, traction engines, and tools/equipment for their home workshops etc. We are a mixed bunch of like-minded people, the age range is from 19 to 80, all busy doing their own thing. The college has 12 industrial lathes (three brand news) 3 milling machines, surface and cylindrical grinders, bending machine and power guillotine, up to 6mm. The welders are within the same workshop area, so that facility is also available to us at no extra cost. Most years we have one or two members deciding to have a rest year, due to other commitments. Should any reader be interested in joining the group please contact me (Ted) via email g4egb <at> yahoo <dot> com or 01723 362537.
            Curtis Rutter
            Participant
              @curtisrutter61973

Just started at Hertford Regional's Broxbourne Campus, evening Model Engineering Course. Must say I was in awe of the workshop…puts mine to shame. Thought it the best way to get practical hands on experience before attempting to use my lathe being a complete newbie! Am pleased to say I was able to turn and face a piece of steel to an accurate diameter…….No holding me back now.

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt

Hi Curtis,

In the spirit of this (sadly little used) thread can you post some details of ho others can get on this course?

Thanks

Neil

Curtis Rutter
                Participant
                  @curtisrutter61973

It's run by Hertford Regional College at the Broxbourne Campus.Signing up is easy, no entry requirements, it's £95 for 10 weeks every Thursday 19:00 til 21:30. So £9.50 for 2.5 hours to use all of the tools there and they have some limited materials.

**LINK**

Machines that I noticed were at least two Bridgeport mills, possibly three. A mixture of twelve lathes, ranging from smaller chester lathes to large Colchester students as well as others, with multiple items of tooling imaginable for each lathe. Further equipment included surface grinding machines, bandsaws, Guilotines, and others that I wasn't sure of. The course has a steady following of repeat subscribers who don't have acess to all the equipment in their own workshops. The programme seems flexible and tailored to the level of the student. As myself and one other were both complete newbies then we was given the tour and introduced to the lathe and the basics. Others just carried on with whatever projects they had underway, ranging from locomotive boilers to tools from what I could see.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and the lecturer was extremely enthusiastic and seemed to relish passing on his knowledge, I can already see myself becoming a repeat student until I get all the tools I need in my workshop!

Edited By Curtis Rutter on 06/01/2017 21:46:35

Edited By Curtis Rutter on 06/01/2017 21:46:56

Edited By Curtis Rutter on 06/01/2017 22:11:53

Wayne Ward
                  Participant
                    @wayneward51978

I had a quick look for courses and saw that, for those of you unfortunate enough to live in London, your misfortune is alleviated a little by some courses provided by the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers.

http://www.sm-ee.co.uk/ctt-training/ctt-training-dates-and-rates/

Bill Starling
                    Participant
                      @billstarling10428

Never mind those living in London, the SMEE training courses are worth travelling for. I went up from Norfolk for them. Thoroughly enjoyed them, learnt a lot and met some nice people. The only problem is – I keep getting drawn back for their meetings.

Bill.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)