Model Engineering Clubs

Advert

Model Engineering Clubs

Home Forums Model engineering club news Model Engineering Clubs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chinkoa
    Participant
      @chinkoa

Does any body know of any Model Engineering Clubs in Thurso / Caithness Scotland.

For my sins I will be moving to Caithness in the next few months, including my workshop and all projects. It would be good to get together from time to time with other model engineers.

Advert
      Chinkoa
      Participant
        @chinkoa
        Bazyle
        Participant
          @bazyle

Google "model Engineering Thurso", "Men's Shed Thurso", "Model Railway Thurso" and follow up on the leads.
          Don't expect something tailor made and right on your doorstep. Connect up with the above leads and you will find a few like minded people who would like to get together in a pub or coffee shop to start things off.
          Even in crowded London it is a 30 mile round trip to my club meetings and in Devon a 55 mile round trip.

Chinkoa
          Participant
            @chinkoa

Thanks for getting back. "Model Engineering Thurso" – "Model Railway Thurso" – "Mens Shed". Already tried Nothing comes up at all. Trying local community groups and face book.

Colin

Ches Green UK
            Participant
              @chesgreenuk

There's quite a few links in here that may lead to some (fairly) local model engineering enthusiasts … http://www.hrsoc.org.uk/Links.html

Or maybe contact 'Bridge of Brown Crafts in Elgin to seek their advice … http://www.bridgeofbrowncrafts.co.uk/

Regards,

Ches

Bazyle
              Participant
                @bazyle

Use Google: I got

"Caithness Model Engineers

https://modeleng.proboards.com › thread › caithness-m…

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get a club up and running in Thurso, Scotland, (thats near John O Groats!) So far there are four of us, …"

I also found someone on this forum in John o Groats.

Model railways gave me Durran's model shop

Mens shed gave me a Scottish shed search site which gave me a shed in Lybster.

Chinkoa
                Participant
                  @chinkoa

Nybody gor any idea s for making small barrel springs? I only need two.

Dimensions ove spring.

9/16" long

1/2" Barrel r diameter

1/4" Minor end Diameters

1/16" Wire Diameter

5/6 Coils.

They are for the 5" Edward Thomas safety valves.

I can get away with ordinary compression springs. But the Barrel ones would be good.

I have an idea how to make them. A bit Heath Robinson. But any further ideas are welcome.

Jon Lawes
                  Participant
                    @jonlawes51698

You may need to ask in a more relevant section to get answers. Best of luck.

Weary
                    Participant
                      @weary

Experiment winding spring on appropriately sized straight former(s) to find amount wire 'relaxes' after winding.

Make 'internal barrel' former from plastic or friable material (epoxy??, plaster??) around a length of straight rod adjusting dimensions of both in light of above.

Select suitable tpi on lathe.

Turn lathe by hand whilst winding spring.

Abrade friable 'barrel-shaped material (carefully) away from central rod core through gaps in spring & withdraw central rod.

Job done???

Phil.

Chinkoa
                      Participant
                        @chinkoa

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your pointers. They are where I was heading. ilIt may be necessary when the core is removed to tease out the spring to get a decent coil spacing. We will see.

Colin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)