ML7 Topslide limitations

Advert

ML7 Topslide limitations

Home Forums Manual machine tools ML7 Topslide limitations

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Poole
    Participant
      @mikepoole82104

The ML7 and ML7R topslide does not allow a greater than 65 deg rotation as standard. Is there a classic work around for this problem that I have missed, converting to the S7 assembly is an expensive solution.

Mike

Edited By Michael Poole on 08/12/2013 15:37:21

Advert
      Mike Poole
      Participant
        @mikepoole82104
        old Al
        Participant
          @oldal

you can rearrange the position of the two clamp bolts to get more angle. You have to lift the topslide off to move the bolts. Bit fussy, but it can be done

Mike Poole
          Participant
            @mikepoole82104

Hi Al,

Even if I remove the swivel boss I can not find a position where two bolts can pick up a tee slot because the slot in the top slide base is wider than the cross slide.

Mike

old Al
            Participant
              @oldal

Hi Michael

I will have to have a look tomorrow. I have had to do something similar, I just cant remember!

Have you got reverse on your lathe?

Alan.

Mike Poole
              Participant
                @mikepoole82104

Applying a bit of lateral thinking I think my vertical slide has some possibilities, swing it to a horizontal position and angle the base to give required facing angle, bit of a fiddle to set tool height but for a one off it's not too bad. Maybe the S7 slide conversion is the only practical solution.

Mike

anthony smith 4
                Participant
                  @anthonysmith4

TO ALLOW GREATER ROTATION OF TOP SLIDE MAKE A SUB BASE OF 3/8 THICK PLATE ABOUT 4.5INS SQUARE WITH A HOLE BORED TO SUITE TOP SLIDE SPIGGET. FIXED TO CROSS SLIDE WITH COUNTERSUNK SOCKET SCREWS MILL CURVED SLOTS TO SUITE TOP SLIDE FIXINGS.IT WILL THEN BE NECESSARY TO USE SMALLER TOOLS

John Stevenson 1
                  Participant
                    @johnstevenson1

When I owned a ML7 some years ago I moved the topslide round to the maximum position before the handle fouled the cross slide then worked out decent position where it had plenty of room and drilled and tapped two 1/4" BSF holes.

Worked for me but I dare say the flat earth society would have a baby because I drilled a Myford.

Sorry they are not something to be prayed to every Sunday, obviously Myfords cocked up or people would not need to modify the machine to do what it should have been designed to do.

Andrew Moyes 1
                    Participant
                      @andrewmoyes1

Ian Bradley in Myford ML7 Lathe Manual shows a solution using a sole plate interposed between the top slide and cross slide. The down side is that it reduces the size of tool that can be used to about 5/16".

I vaguely remember using a tool mounted on the swivelling vertical slide to get around the problem. I can't remember now how I did it – perhaps this will jog someone else's memory. Will post again if it comes to me!

Andrew M

Andrew Moyes 1
                      Participant
                        @andrewmoyes1

I remember now. It was the very first thing I made when I bought an ML7; a Stuart centrifugal pump. I thought it would be an easy first project until I needed to take a facing cut across the blades. They are required to be at a slight angle, not possible with the standard topslide. The solution was to use the vertical slide with its table parallel to the axis of the lathe. The top of the vertical slide was rotated slightly towards the headstock by the required angle and the tool was mounted in a vice on the slide, pointing towards the headstock.

Andrew M

Bubble
                        Participant
                          @bubble

Hello Michael

This solution was described by a Mr Beecroft in ME in about 1955

It works fine for screwcutting but watch-out for excessive tool overhang on the top slide which can give an upward force on the assembly.

A refinement would be two long tee-nuts in the cross slide slots, with the two side- bars attached to them with studs, this would provide vertical location.

Jim

ML7topslide2

ML7topslide1

Mike Poole
                          Participant
                            @mikepoole82104

Thanks for the input gentlemen, it would seem that Johns solution of drilling the cross slide would be the most convenient on a regular requirement to use these small angles. The vertical slide solution that Andrew proposed is the one I shall use for the one off job I have in mind as it is a quick and dirty setup with no need to make anything. I will probably get round to making a sub base but as I find my Dickson tool post most useful and the sub base would negate its use this would only be fitted on demand. Looking at drilling the cross slide for Johns solution there is not much room to drill without being very close to a tee slot so although I could live with two neatly tapped holes if the tee slot broke this would annoy me forever like drilling holes in the table on a drilling machine or milling the table on the mill or drilling a machine vice.

Mike

Mike Poole
                            Participant
                              @mikepoole82104

While I was typing, a solution like the one Jim has just posted came into my mind, it must be the power of suggestion at work. With the refinements Jim suggests this could well be the top answer for a leave it in place answer, it would only need to be removed for travelling steady fitment.

Mike

Robbo
                              Participant
                                @robbo

Further to Bubble's post, this is Mr Beecraft's original drawing. Just for fun.

ml7 topslide001.jpg

MICHAEL WILLIAMS
                                Participant
                                  @michaelwilliams41215

Hi Michael P ,

There is a completlely alternative solution possible using copy turning methods .

Mount a true bar slant wise on bed , arrange a roller follower on cross slide and just copy the angle of the bar onto the workpiece .

Needs a bit of bias loading to keep roller engaged otherwise no problems at all .

Works for curved surfaces like buffer heads as well .

Regards ,

MikeW

anthony smith 4
                                  Participant
                                    @anthonysmith4

RE MR BEECROFTS DRAWING THIS DOES NOT APPEAR TO PREVENT THE TOP SLIDE FEED DIAL FOWLING THE CROSS SLIDE DIAL.THE SUB BASE OF 3/8 THICKNESS WILL PREVENT THIS .THE PLATE SHOULD BE 4.75" SQUARE AND NOT 4.5" AS I SUGGESTED

Alan Jackson
                                    Participant
                                      @alanjackson47790

I have just added some photos of a Lever Locking Top slide conversion for a Myford ML7. I made this a few years ago. I know as John S. has just referred to that Myford owners do not like to modify their machines but in my opinion it is well worth doing. I have a Colchester Chipmaster lathe with a similar conversion and would not like to go back to the original arrangement trying to access nuts in slots filled with swarf etc.

Alan

Bubble
                                      Participant
                                        @bubble

Anthony

True, I can "only" go to 80 degrees. I did say it was fine for screwcutting.

In 50+ years with an ML7 I have never needed to go "squarer", that's what the cross slide is for!

I think the loss of 3/8" height is a bigger limitation, especially with quick-change toolposts.

Jim

ps please take your caps lock off!

Mike Poole
                                        Participant
                                          @mikepoole82104

Thankyou gentlemen for all your contributions, I will most likely use more than one solution as there are pros and cons for all of them, Michaels copy attachment could be very useful with suitable templates for large radius curves and other forms.

Mike

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)