Miniature pressure gauges

Advert

Miniature pressure gauges

Home Forums Locomotives Miniature pressure gauges

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2017 13:26:18:

Who is up for the challenge?

Not me, I've got a traction engine to build. And if you believe that you'll believe anything! wink 2

Andrew

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

So being the awkward sod squad that you are you won't be tempted to use the simple link and pivot innards like Henry's article in ME in preference to gears. I assume the geared ones have the needle pivot in the centre of the dial and it needs to move in a larger circle than the type where the needle pivots at the bottom of the dial and only needs to swing 45-60degrees?.

Out of interest what is the WP of your boiler?

J

PS for anyone tempted this is the ME issue

Edited By JasonB on 16/01/2017 14:29:34

Anonymous
          Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2017 14:19:31:

So being the awkward sod ………………..

I've been called a lot worse than that, even on this forum!

A simple link won't work. By placing the link closer to the pivot of the pointer you can reduce the 'linear' movement required, but it still needs to move over the same angular rotation as the pointer. So if I want the pointer to move over 270° then the link also needs to move over 270°. If you think of a basic crank and rod you simply can't get that movement with a pull in one direction. Theoretically the best you can do is 180°.

I think many commercial pressure gauges have a central pointer with a 270° scale for better resolution. An alternative to gearing is to make the Bourdon tube in the form of a helix which terminates at the centre. As the Bourdon tube comes under pressure the termination point just rotates, in theory. For a given pressure the angular movement of a Bourdon tube is proportional to the total angle of the un-pressurised tube. So if you have multiple turns then you get a much bigger angular movement that the classic C shape. I did consider making a helical Bourdon tube, but decided it was going to be rather tricky. And since there are no adjustable linkages it would be difficult to calibrate.

The working pressure of my boilers is 170psi.

Andrew

Gordon W
          Participant
            @gordonw

This may be off course– I remember taking a pressure gauge apart once and the drive to the pointer was rack and pinion. 'fraid that's all I can remember.

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2017 13:26:18:

And just to derail the thread further I was looking at an old ME yesterday and there was a write up on a Bourdon Engine. Used a Bourdon tube as a single acting "piston" with one end connected to the conrod, the other to a simple valve to fill or empty the tube.

Who is up for the challenge?

J

Would you care to share that article, Jason ?

Oops … I posted my response before finishing reading the thread blush

… Sounds very interesting [even from this armchair perspective]

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2017 16:25:01

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt
                Posted by Gordon W on 16/01/2017 16:06:53:

This may be off course– I remember taking a pressure gauge apart once and the drive to the pointer was rack and pinion. 'fraid that's all I can remember.

My original Bourdon dual gauge has rack and pinion :

So does the movement I have that would fit a 4" diameter gauge.

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

Andrew,

This may be daft [quite likely, given my premature reply to Jason] but: A fine thread wrapped around the arbor of the indicator might provide the requisite 'gearing' … without resorting to gears !!

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/01/2017 16:25:39:

With respect, Mr Editor … That is not a rack; it's a sector of a circle.

MichaelG.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Though often refered to as a quadrant and pinion even though the "rack" part may be more or less than a quater of the circle.

Andrew I can see your need for gearing of some sort if you need the needle to swing a 270degree arc

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133
                        Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2017 16:39:18:

… and to fend-off any pedantry, I should add "of finite radius"

MichaelG.

Ray Hulock
                        Participant
                          @rayhulock43360
                          Posted by John Alexander Stewart on 14/01/2017 02:49:28:

Hi Julian;

Here you go – the pressure gauge build is in Kozo Hiraoka's Climax book, back pages. I think it's also described in his Heisler book (in inches) and, probably in Live Steam magazine.

I do have the ME articles in my files – all are good designs, by master craftsmen – but what Kozo Hiraoka brings to the table is a clear description of the manufacturing process that lets those like me follow along.

Camden sells the Kozo books – here's a link to the Climax book:

**LINK**

A bit expensive, but, IIRC maybe the Heisler book was advertised as for sale on this site recently??

All fun stuff – JohnS.

You could be referring to the Climax book I advertised on here quite a few months ago and, as you say, it describes in detail how to form the Bowden tube etc.

Someone responded to my ad. almost immediately but later changed his mind so I just put it back in the bookcase. Still available if anyone wants it (mint condition) @ 25gbp + post at cost.

Ray.

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

For anyone who wants to develop the Bourdon Engine design:

Here is a slightly tidier copy of the drawing in the PDF

img_0824.jpg

Draughtsmen … Start your CAD packages

MichaelG.

JasonB
                              @jasonb

I have sourced my Bourdon tube already

Neil Wyatt
                                @neilwyatt
                                Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2017 16:39:18:

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/01/2017 16:25:39:

MichaelG.

I knew you would say that before I even revisited this thread…

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt
                                  Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2017 18:18:56:

For anyone who wants to develop the Bourdon Engine design:

Here is a slightly tidier copy of the drawing in the PDF

img_0824.jpg

Draughtsmen … Start your CAD packages

MichaelG.

There was a letter about an example of the above design in issue 3573 of 1977 and and up to date design in 4200 of 2003 by Colin Andrews.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                    @neilwyatt
                                    Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2017 18:31:21:

I have sourced my Bourdon tube already

Do you have the joke and hat to go with it?

N.

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                      Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/01/2017 18:31:39:

I knew you would say that before I even revisited this thread…

Pity you didn't spot it before you posted devil

MichaelG.

JasonB
                                        @jasonb

From ME 4200

boudon.jpg

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/01/2017 18:38:13:

There was a letter about an example of the above design in issue 3573 of 1977 and and up to date design in 4200 of 2003 by Colin Andrews.

Oh well … probably not worth bothering then.

MichaelG.

Edit: Just found this interesting variation on the theme:

http://www.old-print.com/mas_assets/full2/J0261868/J0261868138.jpg

Edit: I think Ian SC might have beaten me to it in a previous thread:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=101682&p=2

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2017 20:35:38

Russell Eberhardt
                                          Participant
                                            @russelleberhardt48058
                                            Posted by Andrew Johnston on 16/01/2017 13:46:58:

Thanks for the gear cutter links and ideas. PPThornton list cutters down to 0.1mod, but I'm pretty sure they're all cycloidal form, for use in clocks.

What's the problem with cycloidal gears? They are typically used in clocks, as you say, where they are used for large wheels driving small pinions with low friction. I would have thought that is exactly what you want. Am I missing something?

Russell;

Anonymous

But they're not tolerant of centre to centre variations, which I may need to adjust to reduce backlash.

Andrew

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                                Posted by Andrew Johnston on 18/01/2017 09:16:22:

But they're not tolerant of centre to centre variations, which I may need to adjust to reduce backlash.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Andrew … but, I presumed the mechanism would be spring-loaded.

MichaelG.

Edit: maybe something like this: https://goo.gl/images/4JwKuN

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 18/01/2017 09:33:30

paul rushmer
                                                Participant
                                                  @paulrushmer83015

Is there not normally a hair spring around the needle spindle to keep the backlash all one way?

Paul

Ian S C
                                                  Participant
                                                    @iansc

There's nothing new in this world, this is Bourdon's improved steam or compressed air engine. Built byM Eugene Bourdon, of Paris. illistrated in "English Mechanic and Mirror of Science" Sept 4th 1868.

Ian S C

img_20170118_0001_new (495x640).jpg

Neil Wyatt
                                                      @neilwyatt
                                                      Posted by Ian S C on 18/01/2017 11:07:54:

There's nothing new in this world, this is Bourdon's improved steam or compressed air engine. Built byM Eugene Bourdon, of Paris. illistrated in "English Mechanic and Mirror of Science" Sept 4th 1868.

Ian S C

img_20170118_0001_new (495x640).jpg

Exactly

That's an updated version of the one picture earlier 😛

Neil

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)