Mini Lathe and Milling Machines

Advert

Mini Lathe and Milling Machines

Home Forums Beginners questions Mini Lathe and Milling Machines

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Parry 1
    Participant
      @johnparry1
      HI
      I am looking at purchasing my first mini lathe and milling machine and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I have had a look at Axminster and Warco as favourable but would like some input off people who use them at the momment or any other make that i should look at.

I do not mind purchasing individual units or a combination and not sure what would be best, a lathe bed between 300- 500mm would be suitable.

thanks John
      Advert
      John Parry 1
      Participant
        @johnparry1
        Circlip
        Participant
          @circlip
          Tell me where you are John and we’ll stretch a piece of string between us, cos that’s the answer to the question you’ve just arsked.

On a more serious note, and I have been known to do this at times, you need to write down what your objectives are and be honest with yourself of your perceived abilities. I could give you a list of lathes and milling machines to look at and the next guy will tell you “Don’t consider those”. The old addage Horses for courses should be used and DON’T fall into the “You can turn small stuff on a big lathe but not big stuff on a small one” trap, if you’re turning watch parts you DON’T need a Myford (Although, my mentors used to do that on one).

Have a look round at what you think you would like and show a comparative list and wait for the opinions to fall, they surely will, like a snowstorm. Then it’s down to your wallet/plastic.

Regards  Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 15/10/2009 12:54:49

Edited By Circlip on 15/10/2009 12:55:42

John Parry 1
          Participant
            @johnparry1
            Hi Ian
            Thanks for the advice,
            I see what you mean, the problem I have is how many different makes are there to choose from,
            I could list a few that I have seen but then I look at the build quality and think they dont look that good and i am unable to find any liturature on them; that is why I was asking what other use.

I can tell you I am only looking for something with a 500mm bed for model making anything else I am sure my company would allow me to use their equipment.

The other thing is I am just looking for opinions onlathe and miller or combination units

I will make a list up and take it from there

Thanks
            John
            Michael Cox 1
            Participant
              @michaelcox1
              Try looking on http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk . They have the 7x 14 asian minilathe and various milling machines.
              Also look at http://www.amadeal.co.uk. Their machines are very competitively priced and will even supply the 7 x 14 complete with a 4 inch chuck rather than the normal 3 inch.
              I have had dealings with both companies and service from both is excellent.
              Mike
              Richmond
              Participant
                @richmond
                test post
                V8Eng
                Participant
                  @v8eng
                  From personal experience, I would say buy the best quality you can possibly afford.
                  Quality lasts, and this model engineering hobby tends to stick for life!

Edited By MessyEng on 15/10/2009 18:51:55

Edited By MessyEng on 15/10/2009 18:53:44

Peter Gain
                  Participant
                    @petergain89847

Hi John,

Look at Warco. Depending on your location, but if you are within reasonable driving distance of Chiddingfold it may pay you to visit their showroom. (There is an abundance of good country pubs in the area in which to enjoy a pleasant lunch after concluding a deal)! I have one of their mill/drills & find it good value & surprisingly accurate. The staff are helpful & friendly & will remedy any shortcomings should the need arise. I have also dealt with Axminster (mail order) & found them very efficient & helpful. But if you require a lathe for the pleasure of machining with it, use your best endeavours to find room for a Myford.

Peter.

Peter G. Shaw
                    Participant
                      @peterg-shaw75338
                      As Circlip says, you need to consider your requirements. My first lathe was a Hobbymat which I quickly found was too small. The Myford was too expensive, and the Boxford I would have liked too big and heavy for one man manouvering. So I bought the Warco 220.

Occasionally I do find myself attempting the impossible, eg trying to swing a 6″/150mm length of bar to bore a hole in the end. Or trying to put a piece of angle iron on the faceplate. Both examples catch on the bed because it doesn’t have a gap!

Just going back to the Hobbymat for a moment, this lathe is rated at 65mm centre height, ie a diameter of 130mm. (At least I think that’s waht it is – I’m relying on memeory here.) However, the maximum diameter over the cross-slide is only 50mm/2″, and this is what I found very restrictive.

So, in addition to length & centre height, you may need to consider diameter over cross-slide. Also top-slide travel (for cutting short tapers), tailstock travel (for drilling)  and possibly cross-slide travel. Mine, at 110mm, seems a bit short with a centre height of 105mm.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw
                      John Parry 1
                      Participant
                        @johnparry1
                        Well I went down to the Model Engineering exhibition just past Coventry on sunday, only to see what was there.

After reading about various machines had my head set on a Warco WM-240 lathe, and with Warco being there gave me chance to have a look at it.

Chester were also there, never though that they were based in Chester just thought it was a name. Ended up buying a DB8VS lathe. They are only up the road and I had a cracking deal compared to what Warco were offereing at the show.

Its an ideal size for what i am looking for, to get me going.and they are local for any advice i need, problem is I have to wait about a month because the have none in stock.

Gives me time to sort other things out, and break it to the wife.
                        thanks for the advice anyway

speak soon
                        john
                        John Somers 2
                        Participant
                          @johnsomers2
                          Although I started my model engineering activities with a mini-lathe from Amadeal (excellent prices and service) I upgraded to Chesters DB8VS around 12 months ago and have been delighted with my choice. The more powerful motor and the mass of 100mm chucks (over the mini-lathe’s 80mm) gives a more solid and grown up feel to machining operations. I used to struggle with parting off procedures but the extra power and mass makes this operation a doddle.
                          My only criticism is the height of the optional stand, a well made piece of kit but woefully low. I constructed a solid platform from a strengthened pallet to raise the whole caboodle by 4″ and bolted the whole lot down to the concrete floor of my workshop.
                          Main extras I have added are a quick change toolpost, a set of Glanze indexable cutting tools and 4 jaw chucks – the 4 jaw independent is used much more than the 4 jaw self centering version.
                          Good luck with your new lathe (and with your revelation to your wife !)

JohnS
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)