MEW,340.

Advert

MEW,340.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KEITH BEAUMONT
    Participant
      @keithbeaumont45476

The article on page 58,” Lengthening a DTI stem” I find confusing. The subject is a DI,(Dial Indicator) not a DTI.(Dial Test Indicator) These have a stylus, not a stem, as we all know.

The last paragraph although correct  advice for a DTI, is not for a DI, as these are used always for measuring fine dimensions, I  thought.

I am suprised this did not get spotted  before publication.

Keith.

Advert
      DC31k
      Participant
        @dc31k

Maybe our intrepid captain had one too many tots of rum celebrating his ten years at the helm.

Anybody know why the 2022 Stevenson Trophy competition is being re-run this year?

What’s the gossip? Was the original winner disqualified?

Ian P
        Participant
          @ianp
          On KEITH BEAUMONT Said:

The article on page 58,” Lengthening a DTI stem” I find confusing. The subject is a DI,(Dial Indicator) not a DTI.(Dial Test Indicator) These have a stylus, not a stem, as we all know.

The last paragraph although correct  advice for a DTI, is not for a DI, as these are used always for measuring fine dimensions, I  thought.

I am surprised this did not get spotted  before publication.

Keith.

I am fortunate that I have both plunger and lever type DTI’s so can use most suitable device for the job in hand. For working close to chuck jaw a lever indicator is definitely preferred. Using a long travel plunger (especially an extended one) seems a poor choice as the side thrust created at the tip/workpiece friction will deaden the movement of the plunger.

I was surprised too that a readily available stem extensions were not mentioned in the article for readers that don’t want to make their own.

Ian P

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

Both my fault, I’m afraid.

I revised the competition text and must have just looked straight through the title.  I tried to date something 1994 last week.

For articles where English isn’t the author’s first language, I naturally have to put more effort into general editing and again I must have simply overlooked the DTI/Dial Gauge issue. I had no idea extensions were readily available.

Not an excuse, but not having a proofreader doesn’t make it easier to pick up things like this.

Neil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)