MEW 344 cover-feature

Advert

MEW 344 cover-feature

Home Forums Model Engineers’ Workshop. MEW 344 cover-feature

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

Mike Cox’s headstock indexing device is nicely done … but I was a little disappointed to see it applied to a Mini-Lathe ‘ordinaire’

Still eagerly awaiting some news of the Minio Lathe !

MichaelG.

Advert
      V8Eng
      Participant
        @v8eng

well spotted Michael.

I have a C0 Lathe perhaps they are closely related 😉

Howard Lewis
        Participant
          @howardlewis46836

The Chinese mini lathes of various sizes do not all contain the same features.

The C0 and C1 have a T slotted Cross Slide, whilst the C2 does not, although the SC4 does!

Which possibly explains the multitude of  “extras” made for them by model engineers, in addition to the OEM accessories.

I am trying find a C1 lathe , as a starter machine, for my grandsons.

But they seem no longer to be imported.

Howard

JasonB
            @jasonb

C0 and C1 are more MICRO lathes than the umbiguous Mini-lathe with it’s 7x## size.

Though the Minio could be a hybrid of the two?

Neil Wyatt
              @neilwyatt

I’ve only just seen this.

😳

In contrast to the editorial pages, the cover has to get signed off by half a dozen people, including the MD (who has spotted things in the past), this wee item seems to have slipped through multiple nets…

Neil

Hopper
              Participant
                @hopper

It’s the kind of unfortunate typo that a non-aficionado might assume was a brand name “Minio” they were not familiar with and let it pass on the assumption. And we all know about assumption!

I’ve seen worse.  We once had a newspaper go to print with the previous day’s day and date proudly displayed on the front page. Youch! The phones ran hot all day with helpful Harrys making sure the editor knew. “Ya wouldn’t even know what day it is ya useless blah blah…” And it was checked and signed off by layers of subeditors, check sub, chief sub and deputy editor, who all missed it.

Ian P
                Participant
                  @ianp

I spotted minio before I opened issue 344, guessed it was a typo, but shrugged it off as just another sign of the times. Maybe I’m getting older but in the scheme of things its nothing to get worked up about.

May years ago on this forum I did ask the question ‘what is a ‘Mini’ lathe? as far as I recall lathes were not advertised or sold as mini but it seems that somehow the name got popular and into common usage. If the description referred to machines size then surely it would apply to watchmaking and other small lathes unless they fit into the ‘micro’ category….

Ian P

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Ian

1. I don’t really think anyone has got worked-up about this … I only mentioned it because it amused me.
                    2. The Pultra 1750 and 1770 were known as MicroLathes … so perhaps as a mark of respect we should use that size as the ‘transition point’

MichaelG.

P.S. __ It may be worth debating whether physical size is sufficient to define the category, or whether the Pultras were Micro because of their renowned ability to produce work at that scale.

IMG_0131

Ian P
                    Participant
                      @ianp

It was I, me, myself, that used to get mildly worked up about such things but in comparison to the forum website software the odd MEW magazine typo its not even worth a mention.

Ian P

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

Point taken, Ian

MichaelG.

ega
                        Participant
                          @ega

In an episode of “Open All Hours” Ronnie Barker posted a deliberately misspelt sign in his shop window in the knowledge that folk would pop in to correct him and be persuaded into a purchase. Time for Neil to fess up!

Hopper
                          Participant
                            @hopper
                            On ega Said:

In an episode of “Open All Hours” Ronnie Barker posted a deliberately misspelt sign in his shop window in the knowledge that folk would pop in to correct him and be persuaded into a purchase. Time for Neil to fess up!

It would work for sure. We once had a bloke place a prominent ad in the paper (deliberately) for  “Diseased Estate Sale” when clearing out his late parents’ house. The editor’s phone rang hot all day long with people calling up to correct /abuse him. No sense of humour at all, the public.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)