MEW 342

Advert

MEW 342

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

It is interesting to see the available altenatives:

https://www.acronymfinder.com/SPAG.html

MichaelG.

Advert
      Ian P
      Participant
        @ianp

A new one to me too

Ian P

Nicholas Farr
        Participant
          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I’ve never before heard of SPAG, but I do remember one from my sixties school days, and it wasn’t taught by the teachers. It was NORWICH but nothing to do with the programme TYP on telly. I can’t really say what it means, but it was a message used by some of the boys. On the other hand, would many of the younger generation know what; M.B. S.W. M.W. and L.W. refers to.

Regards Nick.

SillyOldDuffer
            @sillyoldduffer
            On Andrew Skinner Said:
            On Bazyle Said:

“I honestly thought SPAG was a common abbreviation, certainly used when I was at school in the 90s. ‘Check your SPAG before you hand the essays in’. ”

That’s the point. People posting on here during the daytime mostly went to school in the fifties and sixties.

So did my teachers, who were using the term. I guess they got it from training, rather than their own school days.

I detect two different meanings for SPAG.

• Check your SPAG before you hand the essays in’ is good advice expressed as a informal abbreviation.  No problem with it provided the audience are up to speed.  Could have been around for decades, but not universal.
            • In 2013, SPaG was one a number of reforms introduced into the British primary school system.   The curriculum was changed to improve the next generation’s spelling, punctuation and grammar, and tests introduced to measure attainment.  Those wishing to support children of primary school age need to know about SPaG, not SPAG.

Although spelling, punctuation and grammar were important in my schooldays, we didn’t know them as SPAG.   Decades later, Andrew is exposed at school to some hew education jargon, SPAG in the ordinary sense, believes that’s it, and didn’t notice years later that SPaG is a new twist.   Whilst Andrew’s generation are more up-to-date than mine, time marching on makes fools of us all!

Delighted to reveal that moderators do not inspect posts for spelling, punctuation or grammar on this forum. This community values model engineering in all forms, for which literary skills are not required.  All are welcome!

Dave

Nick Wheeler
            Participant
              @nickwheeler
              On Bazyle Said:

“I honestly thought SPAG was a common abbreviation, certainly used when I was at school in the 90s. ‘Check your SPAG before you hand the essays in’. ”

That’s the point. People posting on here during the daytime mostly went to school in the fifties and sixties.

At the grammar school I left in 1988, SPAG would have only been used to describe the English Teacher – Sarcastic, Perfectionist, Articulate and Grumpy.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)