MEW 341 “How to Build a Seismometer”

Advert

MEW 341 “How to Build a Seismometer”

Home Forums Model Engineers’ Workshop. MEW 341 “How to Build a Seismometer”

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Peter Greene
    Participant
      @petergreene36336

Thanks Michael – think I recall we had that discussion (about Amazon links) once before but, well you know – the memory is the second thing to go …

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

🙂

Joseph Noci 1
        Participant
          @josephnoci1
          SillyOldDuffer
            @sillyoldduffer
            On Peter Greene Said:

Thanks Michael – think I recall we had that discussion (about Amazon links) once before but, well you know – the memory is the second thing to go …

Firefox has the ability to remove tracking from links when they are copied.   Possibly other browsers are similar, though Firefox is notably strong on privacy and anti-tracking compared with most others.   Right-clicking the URL produces a pop-up menu with a ‘copy without tracking’ option, use of which strips the unwanted tracking.

sitetrack

Dave

Journeyman
            Participant
              @journeyman
              On SillyOldDuffer Said:

Firefox has the ability to remove tracking from links when they are copied.   Possibly other browsers are similar, though Firefox is notably strong on privacy and anti-tracking compared with most others.   Right-clicking the URL produces a pop-up menu with a ‘copy without tracking’ option, use of which strips the unwanted tracking

Dave

You may think that but I have just tried it with an Amazon link using Firefox in Linux and it leaves all the tracking info after the ? in place. Can’t say whether it works on other O/S. Have tried this several times and sometimes work and other times doesn’t sometimes leaves part of the tracking data in the link. Better than nothing but still worth checking the link and removing everything after the ? by hand.

John

Peter Greene
              Participant
                @petergreene36336
                On SillyOldDuffer Said:

Right-clicking the URL produces a pop-up menu with a ‘copy without tracking’ option, use of which strips the unwanted tracking.

Doesn’t do it for me – I don’t get the ‘copy without tracking’ option when I right click on the url. Maybe it’s a setup thing.

Not universally popular in any event:

‘copy without tracking’ option

SillyOldDuffer
                  @sillyoldduffer
                  On Journeyman Said:
                  On SillyOldDuffer Said:

Firefox has the ability to remove tracking from links when they are copied.   Possibly other browsers are similar, though Firefox is notably strong on privacy and anti-tracking compared with most others.   Right-clicking the URL produces a pop-up menu with a ‘copy without tracking’ option, use of which strips the unwanted tracking

Dave

You may think that but I have just tried it with an Amazon link using Firefox in Linux and it leaves all the tracking info after the ? in place. Can’t say whether it works on other O/S. Have tried this several times and sometimes work and other times doesn’t sometimes leaves part of the tracking data in the link. Better than nothing but still worth checking the link and removing everything after the ? by hand.

John

Yeah, if the option doesn’t work remove the tracking by hand.

Never noticed it fail here though:  I’m using Firefox 127.0.2 (64-bit) snap, on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, so both up-to-date.

Why is nothing ever easy?

Dave

Ian P
                  Participant
                    @ianp
                    Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133

There is clearly something

There are clearly some things wrong with the new database, and the searching thereof … but it may help to know that this [one of many options] gives a reasonable-looking list of Joe’s “engagements”

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/members/josephnoci1/forums/engagements/

MichaelG.

Edit: __ Sorry, I should have posted that in Ian’s concurrent  Topic

[copying and pasting now]

Neil Wyatt
                        @neilwyatt

This was that rare thing… a specifically commissioned article.

I asked for a one-page preview, without technical details, that would encourage people to come and hear the talk (and other talks) at MMEX.

I thought that it was presented in a way that made it clear it was such, not a full-blown article, but apparently not.

My apologies to anyone who feels misled.

Neil

John Haine
                        Participant
                          @johnhaine32865

Amateur seismometers are made somewhat easier these days by the availability of “direct capacitance to digital” converters.  Randall Peters (who authored some of the papers that Joe linked) invented the “symmetrical differential capacitance sensor” (SDC) which can easily be made out of PCB material and can interface directly to for example the Analog Devices AD7745/46 devices, which then sends data to a Pi for logging.  The devices have 21 bit effective resolution and full scale of 4pF which is amazing.  I don’t know if this is the approach that the speaker at MMEX used but worth remembering if you fancy making one.

I should add that Joe in effect used an SDC in his clock project.

Also see this project:

https://hackaday.io/project/163508-seismometer/log/158710-sensor-design

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)