MEW 332

Advert

MEW 332

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rand
    Participant
      @markrand96270

Grammar Nazi

Advert
      Mark Rand
      Participant
        @markrand96270

I would like to humbly point out that the plural of radius is radii. Please don't encourage the cult of Noah Webster!

duncan webster 1
        Participant
          @duncanwebster1

According to the grammar monster website both radii and radiuses are used in UK and USA. I think once a Latin word is adopted into English it takes on English grammar rules.

And what have you got against my namesake?

Ady1
          Participant
            @ady1

I prefer the american radiuzez

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Mark Rand on 16/09/2023 23:14:09:

I would like to humbly point out that the plural of radius is radii. […]

Please feel free to do that angel

MichaelG.

P.S. ___ it may be amusing for the forum to consider what collective noun[s] would be appropriate.

Edit: __ this iist currently lacks an entry:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_collective_nouns

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2023 05:54:07

Graham Stoppani
              Participant
                @grahamstoppani46499

Can I add Forums instead of Fora to the list? smiley

JasonB
                  @jasonb

But on the other hand lets encourage people to send in articles otherwise you won't have content to complain aboutdevil

Well actually you will as there will be moans about Neil using old articles to bulk out the content.

I'm happy with either and know what is meant, maybe it's because I'm a bit common and never went to a posh school where Latin was a subjectsmile p

rads.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 17/09/2023 07:29:41

JasonB
                    @jasonb

Michael, is the list missing a "seat of A** C**** E********"

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133
                      Posted by JasonB on 17/09/2023 07:36:30:

Michael, is the list missing a "seat of A** C**** E********"

laugh

Martin Connelly
                      Participant
                        @martinconnelly55370

Classics scholars are the ones who tried to insist you should not split infinitives and so tried to apply this Latin rule to English. That was the reason for people complaining that "To boldly go" at the beginning of Star Trek was wrong and should be "To go boldly". However since it is English and not Latin we can use it as said and thumb our noses at Latin scholars.

Martin C

Nick Wheeler
                        Participant
                          @nickwheeler
                          Posted by Ady1 on 17/09/2023 00:48:41:

I prefer the American radiuzez

Radiusiastionsdisgust

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

Meanwhile … I am still struggling with the concept of a humble Nazi

dont know

MichaelG.

John Hinkley
                            Participant
                              @johnhinkley26699

The article to which this applies, on page 55, uses the form "radii" – so everyone should be satisfied.

John

Latin O level pass grade B

devil

added smiley – don't know what it means, but intended to imply mischievousnesses.

Edited By John Hinkley on 17/09/2023 09:57:52

SillyOldDuffer
                                @sillyoldduffer

I would like to humbly point out that the plural of radius is radii…

Let me put a spoke in the wheel!

As Archimedes was Greek, and didn't speak Latin, it's obvious the right word must be Ακτίνες. Pity I can't pronounce it.

sad

Dave

Graham Meek
                                Participant
                                  @grahammeek88282

And there I was thinking the plural of radius was rads, as distinct from RADS.

Regards

Gray,

Nick Wheeler
                                  Participant
                                    @nickwheeler
                                    Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2023 08:46:03:

Meanwhile … I am still struggling with the concept of a humble Nazi

dont know

MichaelG.

Well, he did spell grammar correctly and capitalise Nazi……

Mark Rand
                                    Participant
                                      @markrand96270

I think I must be getting old before my time (at 65 probably just getting old!).

I get more and more irritated with changes to English as she were spoken a few decades back. Don't get me started on the (lack of) quality of proof reading on the BBC's web sites and news scripts. angry

Nick Wheeler
                                      Participant
                                        @nickwheeler
                                        Posted by Mark Rand on 17/09/2023 12:15:00:

I think I must be getting old before my time (at 65 probably just getting old!).

I get more and more irritated with changes to English as she were spoken a few decades back. Don't get me started on the (lack of) quality of proof reading on the BBC's web sites and news scripts. angry

When a language is used daily by millions of people, then changes are inevitable. English has always been a bizarre mongrel, so many of those changes will make about as much sense as commonly accepted spelling. Fighting them is a waste of effort.

The lack of proof reading in publishing is nothing to do with linguistics but is purely down to business practice.

Bill Phinn
                                        Participant
                                          @billphinn90025
                                          Posted by Martin Connelly on 17/09/2023 08:05:44:

Classics scholars are the ones who tried to insist you should not split infinitives and so tried to apply this Latin rule to English.

That's not really the case, Martin; the people who insisted on it were really just linguistic prescriptivists – a species that is clearly very much alive and kicking today, on this forum and elsewhere.

In any case, any classical scholar worth his or her salt would know that the periphrastic tenses of the infinitive in Latin, of which there are several, consist of two parts that are regularly split by classical Latin writers, as they are by Latin writers of all periods. Other tenses of the infinitive in Latin are just one word, which you can't split whether you want to or not. How we form and use the infinitive in English is completely different. It's not unreasonable to say English doesn't even have an infinitive as such.

The only sane viewpoint really is to say that how one language happens to work is no basis for saying how another language should work.

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/09/2023 10:41:48:

I would like to humbly point out that the plural of radius is radii…Let me put a spoke in the wheel! As Archimedes was Greek, and didn't speak Latin, it's obvious the right word must be Ακτίνες. Pity I can't pronounce it.

You got the Greek almost right, Dave: the accent is in the right place but you should have used a circumflex, not an acute.

Posted by JasonB on 17/09/2023 06:59:36:

I'm happy with either and know what is meant, maybe it's because I'm a bit common and never went to a posh school where Latin was a subjectsmile p

I personally know several people, Jason, in different parts of the world who didn't go to a posh school or study Latin there, but who have managed to become highly accomplished Latinists. They are autodidacts, essentially.

I suspect you are an autodidact too in large part when it comes to engineering and IT-related matters.

Chris Crew
                                          Participant
                                            @chriscrew66644

I had an email from a courier company advising me of a delivery. Their contact address commenced as 'National Sortation Centre'……… That's a new word to me, never heard of 'sortation' before. It's a long time since I went to school but I thought the verb was 'sort' or 'to sort' and the present participle was 'sorting', or maybe it's the gerund? I can't quite recall after all these years. Is this yet another 'americanisation' of our wonderful language? I sincerely hope not!

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133

Chris

Your favourite search engine should reveal consistent definitions from several respected dictionaries

MichaelG.

Tony Jeffree
                                              Participant
                                                @tonyjeffree56510
                                                Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 17/09/2023 10:41:48:

I would like to humbly point out that the plural of radius is radii…

Let me put a spoke in the wheel!

As Archimedes was Greek, and didn't speak Latin, it's obvious the right word must be Ακτίνες. Pity I can't pronounce it.

sad

Dave

Its all Greek to me…laugh

SillyOldDuffer
                                                  @sillyoldduffer
                                                  Posted by Chris Crew on 19/09/2023 09:22:23:

… Their contact address commenced as 'National Sortation Centre'……… That's a new word to me, never heard of 'sortation' before. … Is this yet another 'americanisation' of our wonderful language? I sincerely hope not!

Sortation isn't quite the same as 'sort', at least in the technical sense. It means a mechanised sort process or processes. I don't know if the word hales from the US or not but appending .ation to verbs is common in British English. Visit and visitation etc.

Engineers can't complain about others abusing the English language. Turning, thread, mill, and lathe, were all jargon in their day. Lay folk often pinch technical terms too: I have a cast-iron case and will blow a gasket if anyone disagrees!

Apparently some Americans are offended by Britishisms catching on in the US. What a bunch of muppets!

devil

Dave

Tony Jeffree
                                                  Participant
                                                    @tonyjeffree56510

…and remember, any noun can be verbed…devil

Chris Crew
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chriscrew66644
                                                      Posted by Tony Jeffree on 19/09/2023 10:42:04:

…and remember, any noun can be verbed…devil

You learn something new every day, I had never heard of 'verbed' either!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)