Metric Flat brass bar

Advert

Metric Flat brass bar

Home Forums General Questions Metric Flat brass bar

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Old School
    Participant
      @oldschool
      Advert
      Old School
      Participant
        @oldschool

Where can I buy metric sized flat brass bar I need the following two sizes.

8mm x 2mm

10mm x 3mm

i need about 600mm of each.

i have tried milling brass plate to size but it ends up bent.

Martin Shaw 1
        Participant
          @martinshaw1

I think this might be difficult, all of my usual suppliers can do imperial without a problem, only one shows metric stock but not in the sizes you need. You could try John Hood who have outlets in Clydebank and Newcastle, they will do short lengths.

Regards

Martin

Edited By Martin Shaw 1 on 21/01/2020 16:36:45

Thor 🇳🇴
          Participant
            @thor

It seems Eileens Emporium have 8 x 2mm, unfortunately they don't list10 x 3mm.

Thor

JasonB
              @jasonb

What size plate are you milling it out of? Should not be a problem if done from readily available 2mm and 3mm thick sheet as that only needs milling to width. If you are milling something thicker down particularly drawn hard brass then yes you will more than likely end up with bananas

John Hinkley
              Participant
                @johnhinkley26699

I had a similar problem to the OP. I ordered 4mm thick bar which turned out to be imperial and slightly too thick. I tried to thin it down and ended up with brass bananas. You've been given a source for 2 x 8mm and Jason has suggested cutting from 3mm sheet, but if you really must have metric flats, then you are probably going to have to order from Europe, I would have thought. Without wishing to labour the point, these suppliers will sell you 3mm x 10mm x 250mm brass flat at €4.60 per length and also do 2mm x 8mm x500mm at €5.30 per length. Plus P&P of course.

John

Old School
                Participant
                  @oldschool

Jason

The plate was around 2.5mm thick which I machined down to 2mm the plate was from when I cleared my fathers workshop so it was for clockmaking.

I would quite happily use plate of the right thickness if I could find it.

Oliver

JasonB
                    @jasonb

M-machine do 14swg which is only 0.03mm thicker than 2mm and actual 3mm sheet and should be able to cut a size to suit

The clockmaking brass was more than likely a hard brass so prone to distorting.

Old School
                    Participant
                      @oldschool

My father was a working clockmaker so the brass was probably for making wheels, too thin for plates. Towards the end of his career he made skeleton orrery clocks in batches of five.

I will order some plate from m machine.

D.A.Godley
                      Participant
                        @d-a-godley
                        Posted by Old School on 21/01/2020 16:24:12:

Where can I buy metric sized flat brass bar I need the following two sizes.

8mm x 2mm

10mm x 3mm

i need about 600mm of each.

i have tried milling brass plate to size but it ends up bent.

Old School ,

John Keatley in Birmingham carry stock of brass of the thicknesses you require , further , they frequently have off cuts from which they may well , if you ask nicely , shear these to the width and length you need .

If you ring and ask Lynley , he will help , I am sure 01212364300

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Just be aware that sheared sections will have deformed edges, if you need then crisp then cut wider and mill to width as it is generally playing with the thickness that causes distortion of plate and sheet.

nigel jones 5
                          Participant
                            @nigeljones5

one solution i have used when milling thin brass is to soft solder it to a bigger piece which wont deform in the vice. Solder paste is good for this job but not essential. When its milled simply hot the piece up and off it pops. Soft solder can be wiped off ur lightly sanded.

Old School
                            Participant
                              @oldschool

This what I am making, cutting the profile out on my cnc machine and putting the groove round the outside on my manual mill. Got quite a few to do both sizes.

image.jpeg

Edited By JasonB on 22/01/2020 12:56:33

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)