Measuring Wood?

Advert

Measuring Wood?

Home Forums The Tea Room Measuring Wood?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

Is not normally a particularly critical requirement. I’ve been looking at some wood thread cutting videos recently. The female thread is cut with the jig first and then it’s carefully measured to determine the starting diameter for the male thread. Calipers were used for the job with the instruction to “wiggle it a bit” to get an accurate measurement. The obvious problem though is that the calipers have a sharp edge so it wouldn’t be difficult to damage the newly cut thread or get an inaccurate reading. So my question is, apart from internal Mics (I wouldn’t want to have to buy two or three) what might be a better way to do this?

Advert
      Peter Cook 6
      Participant
        @petercook6

For the precision necessary, wouldn’t a pair of inside two legged spring callipers do the job. Measure the thread a couple of turns in and once set rotate the thread to screw the callipers out for measurement.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Maybe fill the female thread with wax [or whatever] and when it has set, unscrew the  ‘plug’ …then you would have something proper to measure.

MichaelG.

JasonB
            @jasonb

As you don’t really want the crests and valleys touching then it does not need to be massively accurate and what about the tip radius of the tool that is going to cut the male thread, that will have a big effect on how deep you need to cut to get the flanks right.

Cheap pair of callipers with the edges rounded over would protect the wood, just set them to zero in a known gap  and adjust the final reading taking that into account.

Vic
            Participant
              @vic
              On JasonB Said:

Cheap pair of callipers with the edges rounded over would protect the wood, just set them to zero in a known gap  and adjust the final reading taking that into account.

I did think of something like this. You can buy round tips to retro fit calipers as well. It’s a shame they don’t make calipers with rounded tips.

Bazyle
              Participant
                @bazyle

Two washers but with slots instead of just holes with loose nut an bolt to hold together. Centralise to insert into hole and then slide apart to bottom out in thread and lock. Unscrew from thread which will also show if you have even depth of thread. Measure with regular callipers.

bernard towers
                Participant
                  @bernardtowers37738

I find as a metalworker that I have to take that part of the brain out and insert the bit that says to the nearest 1/8″

Dalboy
                  Participant
                    @dalboy

There is a proper tool for measuring on woodturning projects when threading. Look HERE

DC31k
                    Participant
                      @dc31k

A standard pair of internal calipers cannot measure diametrically across a thread. The tips would need to be offset by half a thread pitch.

Look at how external threads are measured using the two wire method and the three wire method. Calipers are loosely analogous to the two wire method.

Huub
                      Participant
                        @huub

I tap threads in wood using (self made) roll taps. For me, that works better than using taps, single point threading on the lathe or thread milling. The drill diameter depends a bit on the hardness of the wood. MDF is predrilled using the drill diameter for steel, hard wood (oak) is drilled using the drill diameter for roll taps.
                        If you don’t have a roll tap, use a hex bolt to check the quality of the thread. A bolt gives the “same” result, a roll tap just takes less force to make the thread.

I don’t make outer threads in wood, but measuring the thread size should be as easy as measuring the thread size in steel using the 3 wire method. You don’t need a calibrated wire, just 3 straight wires (nails) of known and equal thickness.

JohnF
                        Participant
                          @johnf59703
                          On Vic Said:
                          On JasonB Said:

I did think of something like this. You can buy round tips to retro fit calipers as well. It’s a shame they don’t make calipers with rounded tips.

Vic, you mean something like these ?  Rounded tips that are in this case 0.250″ to add to the vernier reading. some were 0.200″ they would in most cases measure across several thread crests.9753E91F-F7BD-4415-A010-9FDFDA9F5837

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)