Marine Steam Engine mentioned in Harris’s book

Advert

Marine Steam Engine mentioned in Harris’s book

Home Forums Model Boats Marine Steam Engine mentioned in Harris’s book

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Burridge
    Participant
      @johnburridge26484

I have recently re-read The Harris book on steam engines and at the last chapter he mentions a full size marine steam engine which he says was in the Engineer magazine and he give numbers of the issue 20-6-13 which I presume is the date issue.

It is a twin two cylinder Non-condensing and uses Stuart Turners cylinders.

It mainly seem to be made of mild steel plate and bars for the base plates and the columns, the crank can either be machined from the solid or made up and pinned together,It also mentions pumps for the feed and lubrication.

Has anyone either made this engine or have the drawings for it as yet I can not seem to trace it anywhere

Regards

John

Advert
      John Burridge
      Participant
        @johnburridge26484

Drawing required

JasonB
          @jasonb

A quick flick through teh 20th June issue did not show anything obvious but if you want to have a better look its here

JasonB
            @jasonb

Actually I think its just the Dendy- Marshall valve gear that gets a mention and its the drawings of the valve gear Harris refers to not the drawing of his engine. See top left of first page in link above

J

julian atkins
            Participant
              @julianatkins58923

thanks Jason for the fascinating link!

completely off topic but from your link black vein seam coal which is underneath my cottage 17s 6d per ton in 1913!

cheers,

julian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)