Macro-photography

Advert

Macro-photography

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 495 total)
  • Author
    old mart
    Participant
      @oldmart

I use Pentax DSLR's with a Sigma EX 50-2.8 (1:1) and a Tamron 90-2.8 (1:1) usually manual focus. The 50 gets used for most of my album photos hand held. I also have a Samsung compact with a useful macro feature, its only shortcoming is not having a viewfinder. I used to have a Cosina 100-3.5 manual focus macro lens (1:2 plus additional lens for 1:1). It goes by the nickname "plastic fantastic" the build is very plasticky but optically wonderful.

Advert
      old mart
      Participant
        @oldmart

doubled up posting as usualangry 2

Edited By old mart on 15/05/2020 16:27:37

Oily Rag
        Participant
          @oilyrag

Some really stunning pictures above.

I use photographs regularly to illustrate points in reports – one of the necessities of good photographs is the lighting (and of course the focusing!). I take my photographs these days with my iPhone – sorry to all the photo geeks here but it is always available (in my back pocket).

Below are some photographs taken of a dry sump pump from a race car engine which was losing oil pressure at high rpm. The analysis showed the pump was cavitating and the result was loss of pressure and damage to the big end bearing shells. The cavitaion damage is visible on the gear tooth crests and on the tooth flanks, the spalling caused the scoring damage to the housing.

The final photo shows an in cylinder pressure transducer sleeve which inserts into the combustion chamber of a race engine to measure cylinder cycle pressure, this is used to optimise the engine characteristics (cam, ignition and injection timing as well as intake volumes/runner lengths and exhaust manifolding) The end is 3mm dia with 3 holes drilled in at an angle, the holes are 1.1mm dia. The sensor sits inside this sleeve and is screwed into the base (internally) by a 5mm thread.

Always good to take photos as a record of work done.

img_2731.jpg

img_2733.jpg

img_2737a.jpg

img_2740a.jpg

Finally the in cylinder pressure sleeve:-

img_1398.jpg

And the damaged bearings:-

img_2744.jpg

Edited By Oily Rag on 15/05/2020 18:29:23

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133
            Posted by Nicholas Farr on 15/05/2020 14:46:56:

[…]

I can actually count all those little blighters now.smile

Nice one, Nick

Welcome to the world of the very small

… Your journey starts here !!

MichaelG.

Martin Kyte
            Participant
              @martinkyte99762

Video at the botom of the page if you want extreme macro imaging. You just can't get the detail with photons.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Nicholas Farr
              Participant
                @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, thanks for your comment. I have actually used this method years ago, not my idea I hasten to add, I just read it in some book or magazine, can't remember which. But of course them days you had to wait until you got the prints back before you knew if it was a real success.

Regards Nick.

Rod Clemett
                Participant
                  @rodclemett60985

Those of you with more than a passing interest in fine optics, look away now!

More and more I find myself reaching for my smartphone's camera in the workshop, both as an aid to see detail my eyes will no longer resolve, or simply as a record of anything interesting (to me!). I wouldn't class these snaps as "photography", but I was pleasantly suprised by the capability of a device I carry in my pocket.

Clem

These are uncropped images from a Samsung Galaxy S8. The last one is/was M8 thread in a gearbox casing:-

20200217_204152.jpg20200217_204941.jpg

20200303_232339.jpg

Edited By Rod Clemett on 16/05/2020 00:13:52

Edited By Rod Clemett on 16/05/2020 00:15:15

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

The performance of the cameras in modern ‘phones continues to astonish me, Rod … and your photos are amazing.

Just think what they were like, only a few years ago !!

MichaelG.

Daniel
                    Participant
                      @daniel

Brilliant idea for a thread.

I do agree with Michael G. that modern phone cameras are quite amazing.

I still don't have one, though. It would mean that I would probably part with

my trusty Nikon D90. The lens I use is the Nikkor 105mm Macro.

I'm no expert, but I do enjoy close up photography.

dsc_0018-001.jpg

dsc_0025-001.jpg

dsc_0036-001.jpg

dsc_0042-2.jpg

dsc_0216-001.jpg

ATB,

Daniel

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

Great stuff, Daniel … and that 105mm will give you much more working distance, and better ‘handling’ than my 55 [which is best used for static subjects]

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                        Participant
                          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, talking about phone cameras, a while ago now I bought this out of Tesco's which was one of their clearance items, for about £3.00.

img_20200516_083930.jpg

Gave it a try with my smart phone camera this morning with the sixpence in the photo above with the macro lens, while it gets in pretty close, you can see a little distortion and lighting starts to get a problem, also depth of field is shallow, but overall, not bad for a cheapy and could be used for practical purposes rather than high class photos.

img_20200516_083446.jpg

Regards Nick.

mark smith 20
                          Participant
                            @marksmith20

Another Nikon Nikkor 105 user here but with the nikon D70.

p1040123.jpg

Raphael Golez
                            Participant
                              @raphaelgolez

Oily Rag, Thanks for sharing your close up shots. Cavitation is interesting, the tiny bubbles formed is a force to reckon with. Difficult to imagine those bubbles can cause significant damage to metals.

Thanks for the link Martin. Very interesting.

Nick that's brilliant. I too am amazed at the capabilities of this phone camera nowadays. I remember one of my dermatologist colleague taking close up pictures of skin lesions with this add on lens to his work iPad and thought that's clever and very good image capture. I might look into that. We can all include close up photos of all camera phones here too.

Hi Daniel, lovely composition there of this tiny insects. Love that tiny bee hovering in front of that flower! Don't part with your D90 (I have one also) the crop sensor plus your 105mm will give it a longer reach. Try getting extension tubes or a teleconverter. Did you use any flash on this?

Michael, that 55mm you've got is an amazing lens in my opinion. Wanted to get one also.

Mark, nice macro. D70 is very capable of taking macro. Keep it coming.

Vic
                              Participant
                                @vic

I’ve long had an interest in Macro photography. I’ve got a 90mm Macro lens for my old DSLR but things have moved on in recent years. These days Focus merging, stacking or bracketing can produce some stunning macro shots that make “single” shots look pretty poor in comparison. There are several camera makes that offer this facility as one of their settings. Olympus seem to be the most advanced at this. You can get the same result with old cameras by taking several shots in manual focus and then merging the shots with software.

Raphael Golez
                                Participant
                                  @raphaelgolez

Bit windy but managed to take some pictures today. Not much critters around but managed to capture a few on the sensor.

Winged Aphids

_dt14458.jpeg

This very tiny spider is swaying in the wind and difficult to get him in focus. I would say life size about 0.25mm, could barely see him.

_dt14464.jpeg

More Aphids. Most of them have no wings. Noticed the ant nursing them.

_dt14474.jpeg

I don't know what this critter is called. Looks like a nymph of some beetle??? Looks great. Again very tiny.

_dt14479.jpeg

Check this very tiny Katydid. Almost invisible to the eye.

_dt14485.jpeg

One of the big guys a took a shot. This just landed in front of me.

_dt14489.jpeg

Caught them red handed!

_dt14500.jpeg

Very tiny jumping spider. This guy is so fast!

_dt14507.jpeg

Possibly a fruit fly?

_dt14514.jpeg

A common fly.

_dt14520.jpeg

_dt14509.jpeg

Edited By RAPHAEL VAL GOLEZ 1 on 16/05/2020 14:26:10

Edited By RAPHAEL VAL GOLEZ 1 on 16/05/2020 14:28:21

Bazyle
                                  Participant
                                    @bazyle

Some lovely photos here.
                                    SOD mentioned extension rings but have you also tried a reversing adaptor? I have my father's Pentax with all sorts of kit which is a little old now as he died nearly 50 years ago We used to do colour slide development CR50 I think.
                                    Of late I use my company iphone but cloud upload is disabled so it makes it a pan to get the pictures off.

Neil Wyatt
                                      @neilwyatt

Some interesting photos there!

These days I just use the macro on my bridge camera for most things. Rather than bits of metal, some random insects:

migrant hawker close.jpg

ashy mining bee andrena.jpg

bug1.jpg

greenbottle crop.jpg

This is maximum close up on a bit of carpet:

zoom.jpg

Neil

Chris_C
                                      Participant
                                        @chris_c
                                        Posted by Bazyle on 16/05/2020 14:37:27:

SOD mentioned extension rings but have you also tried a reversing adaptor?

Yes, but not for a few years! I wanted to have a go at macro when I was a student but couldn't justify a lens, I managed to get an reversing adapter (EOS to… 52mm I imagine filter thread), and a Pentax 50mm from the local chemist for £5.

Very shallow depth of field (see the 5p photo!) but good fun. I should dig that out and have a play tomorrow, not used it for years. Thanks for reminding me! Have been enjoying seeing others photos here, some stunning shots.

Nicholas Farr
                                        Participant
                                          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I had a go outside with my IXUS 170 this afternoon, the first photo is a fly as close as it would focus, but the photo has been cropped by about 50%.

fly.jpg

This next one hasn't been cropped and I think these always look good when the fairies are ready to fly off.

seeds.jpg

Regards Nick.

Raphael Golez
                                          Participant
                                            @raphaelgolez

Stunning shots Niel. Thanks for checking in. Enjoyed looking at the wing detail of your dragonfly.

Nice to see your close up Chris. Will wait for more macros from you.

Nick, difficult to sneak up on a fly, great job capturing it on your sensor. Its amazing to think how airborne seed dispersal works for plant.

Keep all you macro shots coming, enjoyed looking at all of it.

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133

For those that like such things: Here‘s a page [with numbers] about the early 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor.

**LINK** http://coinimaging.com/n55-35.html

Using it on the m4/3 body involves only the purchase of a simple adapter … but that does of course mean that both focus and aperture require manual adjustments.

MichaelG.

Daniel
                                              Participant
                                                @daniel
                                                Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/05/2020 08:54:56:

Great stuff, Daniel … and that 105mm will give you much more working distance, and better ‘handling’ than my 55 [which is best used for static subjects]

MichaelG.

Thank's Michael.

As you say, the 105 does give a practical working distance.

This thread has inspired me to dig out the camera and have a play today.

As it probably is with microscopy, what I enjoy is being able to access our

everyday world, which we cannot really appreciate with the naked eye.

ATB,

Daniel

Daniel
                                                Participant
                                                  @daniel
                                                  Posted by RAPHAEL VAL GOLEZ 1 on 16/05/2020 11:54:05:

"… Hi Daniel, lovely composition there of this tiny insects. Love that tiny bee hovering in front of that flower! Don't part with your D90 (I have one also) the crop sensor plus your 105mm will give it a longer reach. Try getting extension tubes or a teleconverter. Did you use any flash on this? …"

Hello Raphael,

No intention of giving up the D90 … laugh

Although it's more hassle than the modern phones, I still find it worthwhile.

I usually have a ring flash attached to the 105. I would need to look for whether

it fired, or not, on the images.

Super idea for a thread by the way.

ATB,

Daniel

Daniel
                                                  Participant
                                                    @daniel

Keep the macros/close ups coming people.

They're brilliant.

Sam Stones
                                                    Participant
                                                      @samstones42903

Great photographs Raphael, and an interesting opportunity to see the impressive work of others too.

Try this one. What is it?

crw_7189 - puzzle.jpg

Sorry, no prizes!

Sam

Edited By Sam Stones on 18/05/2020 03:32:09

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 495 total)