Macro-photography

Advert

Macro-photography

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 496 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Farr
    Participant
      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Roy, I knew it was Ragwort, but I wasn't sure of which variety it was.

MichaelG, thanks for posting the Ragwort page, I have heard that Ragwort is poisonous to horses, but like in this page, there are horses in a field about 100M away from me and I have seen this same Ragwort growing in there and the horses just don't eat it but they do graze completely around them, and I've been living here for 28 years and not heard of any of the ladies horses being poisoned by this Ragwort. This Ragwort has always grown in parts where I never have mown and I don't now of any wild animals that may have been poisoned by it. Hoverflies also seem to like this Ragwort.

hoverfly.jpg

Regards Nick.

Advert
      Nicholas Farr
      Participant
        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, thought I would show my latest stereo pair that I photographed yesterday, Top one is parallel viewing and the bottom one for cross viewing.

faries#1.jpg

faries#2.jpg

Regards Nick.

Raphael Golez
        Participant
          @raphaelgolez

Enjoyed seeing all your work here and happy to know that the thread keeps on moving even if its around a year since we started posting amazing macro and stereo photos.

I have not done much macro photography lately but I have managed to find this poor dead bee in my window seal last weekend. I can't resist taking a closer look and found out that his wings "unzipped" and showed the 2 pairs (4 wings) and his stinger deployed. Hopefully I can find some more interesting small subject to shoot particularly on the field. This is a stacked of 56 photos taken from front to back to achieved a full depth of field. The magnification is around 2X and the lens is a revere 50mm lens with a 52mm extension tube taken at f11. Enjoy!

final bee 2021-1.jpeg

Edited By Raphael Golez on 14/06/2021 22:33:23

Nicholas Farr
          Participant
            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Raphael, that's really impressive and in no way is it an ugly insect.

Regards Nick.

Raphael Golez
            Participant
              @raphaelgolez
              Posted by Nicholas Farr on 14/06/2021 22:41:39:

Hi Raphael, that's really impressive and in no way is it an ugly insect.

Regards Nick.

Thanks Nick!

Some high magnification shots I made lately of a Giant Hoverfly.

2021-06-27 20-18-10 (b,radius8,smoothing4).jpeg

2021-06-27 21-45-40 (b,radius8,smoothing4).jpeg

Nicholas Farr
              Participant
                @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, too hot to work out in my garage, so yesterday and this morning I've taken a more leisurely approach with my camera. In my outback bit of rough ground, a few thistles are flowering and I thought one maybe worth a stereo photo, but although the breeze was only very light, the long stems of these thistles were waving about, so a cut a small bunch and decided to photograph them indoors, but I made a mistake of photographing them in front of a window and using the trees outside as a backdrop. The problem was that I needed the lights on my macro lens to illuminate the front, but I hadn't noticed that they produced a halo effect behind the flower, from the reflection in the window glass, otherwise I believe it came out pretty good. So this morning I've had another attempt with coloured paper behind with daylight through the window. Below are eight results the four odd numbered ones are parallel views and the four even numbered ones are cross views and No. 1 & 2 are those with the halo effect. I welcome opinions as to which people think are the best (if any) but the first four where taken in portrait mode and No. 5 & 6 were in landscape mode, No. 7 & 8 are the same as 5 & 6, but each image has been separated by about 12mm.

thistle#1.jpg

thistle#2.jpg

thistle#3.jpg

thistle#4.jpg

thistle#5.jpg

thistle#6.jpg

thistle#7.jpg

thistle#8.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/07/2021 12:37:11

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

The wonderful image of a quarter-millimetre microsphere, chosen as the Supporters’ Favourite should inspire us: **LINK**

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/newly-born-blood-vessels-win-british-heart-foundation-photography-prize/

MichaelG.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/cardiovascular/annalisa-bettini

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 25/08/2021 07:37:30

Sam Stones
                  Participant
                    @samstones42903

I feel sure this will interest those ME members keen on improving their macro photography techniques …

Simon Booth – My 8 Essential Macro Photography Tips for Nature Photographers

**LINK**

Have fun,

Sam

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133

Well-found, Sam

MichaelG.

Thanks to Ian Parkin star I now have the Benbo tripod that I’ve always fancied !

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

Despite my obvious frustration with the thread:

I would like to congratulate John Smith 47 on his second photo, here: **LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=174528&p=1

That’s quite an impressive piece of ‘workshop’ photography.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133

Rummaging about in a box of odd lenses, today ; I rediscovered an old close-up lens of considerable age

… a little web-searching revealed that it belongs to one of these : **LINK**

http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C807.html

… and this appears to be the patent for that interesting camera : **LINK**

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=pn%3DGB189603055A

It’s the ‘3FT’ one, so should be a little over one dioptre

… I must try taking some test-shots

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt
                            @neilwyatt
                            Posted by Nicholas Farr on 21/07/2021 12:35:57:

Below are eight results the four odd numbered ones are parallel views and the four even numbered ones are cross views and No. 1 & 2 are those with the halo effect.

You despicable cad! Reversing the order of the views from the previous post, resulting in my eyes nearly popping out of my head!

Very nicely realised and presented.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt
                              Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/09/2021 22:43:00:

Rummaging about in a box of odd lenses, today ; I rediscovered an old close-up lens of considerable age

… a little web-searching revealed that it belongs to one of these : **LINK**

That's quite a device.

The medical macro photography is interesting too.

Nicholas Farr
                              Participant
                                @nicholasfarr14254
                                Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2021 11:54:45:

Below are eight results the four odd numbered ones are parallel views and the four even numbered ones are cross views and No. 1 & 2 are those with the halo effect.

You despicable cad! Reversing the order of the views from the previous post, resulting in my eyes nearly popping out of my head!

Neil

Whaat! teeth 2

Hi Neil, glad you liked the photos wink 2

Regards Nick.

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt
                                  Posted by Nicholas Farr on 23/09/2021 18:48:54:

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2021 11:54:45:

Neil

Whaat! teeth 2

Hi Neil, glad you liked the photos wink 2

Regards Nick.

Send me a really nice stereo pair of a piece of workshop equipment to put in MEW as an experiment!

Sam Stones
                                  Participant
                                    @samstones42903

Parallel, Crossed-eyed, or both Neil?

Samsmile d

Neil Wyatt
                                      @neilwyatt

Best just the two images, as we'll have to generate spacing/placement/background for best results depending on what size we use them.

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133
                                        Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/09/2021 22:43:00:

[ blah, blah, blah ]

… I must try taking some test-shots

MichaelG.

Time passes …

First here are a couple of shots of the close-up lens:

p1260698_a.jpg

p1260699_a.jpg

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/09/2021 20:50:40

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

… It's just a nice size to work with the little Russian Industar 50mm f3.5 lens, so it was temporarily affixed with three blobs of BluTack [!]

Closest focus of the Industar is nominally 0.65m, and this reduces it to about 0.45m

These two shots are thoroughly boring, but nicely demonstrate the performance:

p1260700.jpg

With aperture = f16

p1260701.jpg

With aperture = f3.5

Not bad for a 120 year old

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/09/2021 20:52:12

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133

I have just attended a Quekett ‘Zoom’ meeting, where this lady talked about her insect photography.

**LINK** :

https://insectinside.me

**LINK** :

https://www.nhbs.com/insectinside-life-in-the-bushes-of-a-small-peckham-park-book

My mind is boggled thinking

She has immense natural talent.

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                                            Participant
                                              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, a lot of really good clear photos in your link, I can't say that I've ever seen one of those wasp spiders though, thanks for showing it.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 13/11/2021 21:31:57

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133

For inspiration [or just for for admiration] : 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snowflake-structure-still-mystifies-physicists/

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 20/11/2021 08:55:47

Nicholas Farr
                                                Participant
                                                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, fascinating! Hard to believe that no two are alike out of the trillions+ of snowflakes that are formed over the years, but I guess it is possible from reading your link.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr
                                                  Participant
                                                    @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, been awhile since I last made a stereoscopic photo, so I though I'd give it ago using my Canon IXUS 170 compact camera. It soon became aware that the subject that I've photographed wasn't easy to achieve, as lighting was a problem to get right, it was either too bright and washed most of the detail away, or I got good detail but a lot of darkness making other parts hard to see. My solution was to cobble together an angle pose lamp with a daylight bulb in it and a lamp dimmer, but it still took a lot of trials to get what I considered a satisfactory result, the bronze look is the result of the dimmed light bulb. the 3D effect is a little shallow but the main subject does stand out from the background and does work well using a stereoscope.

Photo numbered 1 is for parallel view and 2 is for cross view.

ina#cal1.jpg

ina#cal2.jpg

The bearing is from the HSA (head stick assembly) of an old hard drive, not that I was measuring it particularly, it was just that it was small and easy to mount into position and was to hand.

Regards Nick.

P.S. if anyone wants the photos without the grey bar in the middle, just say and I'll do them.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 30/12/2021 23:10:09

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133

Nice job, Nick

… I can free-view the parallel pair quite easily yes

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 496 total)