Machining EN36

Advert

Machining EN36

Home Forums Materials Machining EN36

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Old School
    Participant
      @oldschool

Any tips on machining this steel I intend to make a pair of bevel gears, and also the case hardening and tempering.

The final application is a tether car gear gearbox so they need to be tough should rev to 20,000rpm

Thanks

Oliver

Advert
      Old School
      Participant
        @oldschool

Steel EN 36

John Stevenson 1
        Participant
          @johnstevenson1

It machines really nice, just need sharp tooling and don't get it hot or rubbing

colin hawes
          Participant
            @colinhawes85982

I have always machined EN36 with high speed steel tools with no problems at all. Colin

colin hawes
            Participant
              @colinhawes85982

I used to have access to cyanide case hardening which was ideal for such an application ,leaving a clean finish although I don't know if you can still get this done. I don't think tempering is needed or desirable for high speeds. a 10 thou. case would be OK. Colin

Edited By colin hawes on 28/01/2013 15:28:42

colin hawes
              Participant
                @colinhawes85982

Following my last post ,on second thoughts reduce that case thickness to 5 thou .for that size of gear. Colin

John Stevenson 1
                Participant
                  @johnstevenson1

I agree with Colin, cyanide harening or what is now used instead of cyanide commercially will work fine.

There is no need to temper EN36 as it's not a thru hardening steel, the core stays tough as opposed to soft.

EN 32,33 and 34 are thru hardening steels which need to be tempered or they can become too brittle.

The untimate without resorting to specials is EN39B which is like EN36 on steroids, just stronger and again not thru hardening.

We make crankpins for racing engines out of this if they are one piece as it combines hardness with toughness.

Old School
                  Participant
                    @oldschool

John, Colin

Thanks for the replies very helpfull, I was planning to use Casenit to case harden in the lab muffle furnace you can control the temperatures very accuratley in it.

Olly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)