Looking for Hints & Tips

Advert

Looking for Hints & Tips

Home Forums Hints And Tips for model engineers Looking for Hints & Tips

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shugs
    Participant
      @shugs

Hi, has anyone successfully recovered the rods from the likes of these? They are from ink jet printers, rubber rollers appear to be bonded on and the larger plastic ones may be glued on. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks Shugs6mmRods

Advert
      Nick Wheeler
      Participant
        @nickwheeler

I’d use a hammer to beat the various bits off.

If I was mental enough to not just buy some 6/8/whatever rod.

I did dismantle a printer some time go, but the amount of usable material acquired isn’t worth the time.

bernard towers
        Participant
          @bernardtowers37738

Yes have done this before and on some bigger printers and the stuff is lovely to machine, albeit sometimes in odd sizes

JA
          Participant
            @ja

It seems that every participant of this forum other than me has recovered stuff from printers. I just take the junk printer to the local recycling centre.

The plastic rollers may be of use but the rods could be anything (obviously not). If you are lucky they could be a nice machinable stainless steel. If not, they could a nasty stainless or chrome plated mild steel.

Boiling water may break the glue if it is a Cyanoacrylate.

JA

mark costello 1
            Participant
              @markcostello1

Have a  lathe? Just get close to the diameter and it usually rolls off.

Ian P
              Participant
                @ianp

The plastic disks can be drifted off if you stand the shaft over a washer sitting on the vice just wider than the rod diameter. Most likely you will find that the shaft is straight knurled in each roller position but it is still a very useful, (easily machinable) grade of steel.

Rubber wheels are glued or bonded and not easy to remove but you could try VERY tightly compressing the bush across its diameter in the vice and sliding a stanley on the shaft and slice off a lump to see what lies beneath.

Modern domestic grade printers contain a very limited amount of reusable material and nowadays don’t make rich pickings. Older laser printers, especially early HP models are an engineering treasure trove with substantial construction and lots of steel and brass gears.

I have never found any stainless or difficult to machine shaft in the ten or twenty printers I have cannibalised.

Ian P

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)